Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

AY2018-19 KUMBB Recruiting as of 2019-08-29

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 4 months ago #19671 by HawkErrant
KUAthletics: Mens' basketball inks McBride and Braun in early signing period

The OP has been updated to reflect this, and to note that younger Lawson brother Chandler opted to go to Oregon.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 4 months ago #19766 by HawkErrant
OP edits for:

Rivals #2 recruit James Wiseman opts to stay at home to play for Penny at Memphis, while KU target #37 Zeke Nnaji opts for Arizona.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 months ago #20192 by HawkErrant
Rivals #1 Vernon Carey Jr commits to Duke.

OP edited to reflect this and changes in ratings for remaining OFFERED.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20414 by HawkErrant
Origin post with Recruiting cheat sheet updated.

Kofi Cockburn chooses Illinois, Trayce Jackson-Davis chooses Indiana

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20461 by HawkErrant
Updated the OP for new additions:

5* SG Anthony Edwards (reclassified to 2019)
4* C Tre Mitchell
3* SF Tristan Enaruna

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20590 by HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20657 by HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #21390 by HawkErrant
The OP for this thread has been updated for projected losses, the latest Rivals rankings and information on the status of the recruits KU is pursuing.

Today Rivals/JayhawkSlant senior writer Shay Wildeboor reported that Matthew Hurt, KU's top 2019 target, has entered the decision making phase of his recruitment. He has officially visited Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and Kansas. Rivals #7 Hurt is the No. 2 ranked power forward in the class. He spent his last official visit in Lawrence, and from what Shay has learned, "the visit was a huge hit." Both Rivals experts (88%) and 247Sports Crystal Ball (79%) overwhelming project Hurt to be a KU signee come April. Here are Shay's words on Matthew:

Hurt, as most of you all well aware, has been on KU’s campus on a number of occasions and, heading into the visit, Kansas, in my opinion, was the team to beat for the five-star forward. In fact, I believe that Kansas has been the team to beat for much of Hurt’s recruitment.

Now that Hurt has completed his visit to Kansas, along with three other visits, my thoughts about his recruitment haven’t changed one bit. I still absolutely believe that Kansas is the team to beat for Matthew Hurt and, unless something unexpected happens, I expect him to give the nod to Bill Self and the Jayhawks when the time comes for him to go public with his decision.

Hurt and his family have an absolutely wonderful relationship with Self and his staff and, truth be told, I’m of the opinion that Kansas has been the frontrunner for much, if not all, of Hurt’s recruitment.

Again, unless something unexpected happens, I firmly believe that Matthew Hurt will be a member of KU’s 2019 recruiting class.

Since I think KU will at most only have one more opening (Dedric's) to fill for next season (unless something I am not anticipating happens), Hurt will be slotted to replace DLaw (big shoes), and Self & Co will be done with recruiting for 2019 and on to 2020 (which they have been working on for several years already, of course).

Fingers crossed, folks!

ROCK CHALK!

The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk, newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #21429 by HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #21630 by HawkErrant
Precious Achiuwa officially visits KU

Thanks to replayloungehawk for the original RCB post on this.

Couldn’t have had a better game to visit!

Fingers crossed!

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #21831 by JRhawk
Update on KU 2019 recruit Christian Braun - Overland Park Blue Valley Northwest High School (22-2) - currently #2 seed in Kansas Class 6A (largest schools) State Basketball Championship - will play #1 seed Topeka-Washburn Rural HS (23-1) tonight in WSU's Koch Arena.
In the state QF gave vs Olathe North HS, Braun had 33 points, 9-16 fg, 2-6 3pt, 13-13 ft, 8 rebounds, 2 fouls and 9 fouls drawn in their 75-70 win - played all 32 minutes. Last night in state SF vs Shawnee Mission South, he had 25 points, 8-16 fg, 3-5 3pt, 6-11 ft, 4 rebounds, 2 fouls and 9 fouls drawn in their 61-57 win. BVN was behind most of the game: 19-15 after 1, 32-25 at half, 46-38 after 3. Braun played all but 30 seconds.
That game and several others of the various state tourneys were webcast - unfortunately my internet is too slow to see them.
OP-BVN is two time defending Class 6 champion. Grad Clayton Custer is a senior for Loyola-Chicago - grad Ben Richardson was a senior for Loyola-Chicago's FF team last year.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #21853 by JRhawk
Final update on Christian Braun - his team won the Kansas 6A title last night - 53-41. CB had 16 pts on 6-10 fg, 1-3 3pt and 3-4 ft. He had 10 reb. They appear to have led the entire game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 week ago #22029 by HawkErrant
Congratulations to KU signees Christian Braun ( 6-7/190 SG) of Kansas and Isaac "Mackey" McBride ( 6-1/175 PG) of Arkansas!

KUSports.com - Matt Tait: Kansas signees, Christian Braun, Mackey McBride, earn Gatorade Player of the Year honors

And both McBride and Braun can hit the three!

JayhawkSlant - Shay Wildeboor on Christian Braun (from December 2018)
Hey all,

I was able to spend a little time with Christian Braun, the 6-foot-6, 180-pound small forward from Blue Valley Northwest High School in Overland Park, Kan., on Friday afternoon. Braun, who signed a National Letter-of-Intent with Kansas during the early signing period, has been a regular at Allen Fieldhouse this season.

Before I get into my update on Braun, let me tell you that he’s an absolutely wonderful kid. I’ve talked to him a handful of times at Allen Fieldhouse this season and he is going to be a fan favorite for sure.

First, he bleeds Crimson and Blue and lives and dies with the University of Kansas men’s basketball program. He’s all Kansas and there is no doubt about that. He’s just one of those kids that everybody wants to play with and everybody loves being around.

So, as far as my talk with Braun earlier today, he told me that the season is going well so far, but the team hasn’t played its best yet, but they are improving. He added that every team is going to give BVNW its best game, not just because he’s going to Kansas, but because they have been successful in the past as a team.

Braun also said that winning state is the most important goal and he thinks doing that will help when it comes time to win individual awards. He wants to win Player of the year and those types of awards, but if BVNW wins as a team, he thinks that will prove why he should win those individual awards.

Heading into the season, Braun was focused on getting stronger and getting his shot off quicker. When he talks to members of the coaching staff at Kansas, they always challenge him and give him things to improve on, like during high school ball, being the best defender while also being the best offensive player.

According to Braun, the most important thing for him is being able to shoot the ball really well and being able to guard as many positions as possible. Doing those things will help him playing time next year and beyond.

To me, this is a kind that, in time, is going to play a major role for Kansas and is going to exceed his current ranking (No. 112). He can flat-out shoot the ball and very few, if any at all, will outwork him when it comes to being prepared next year and beyond.

Kansas fans, without question, will grow to love Christian Braun in a short period of time.

As JR noted in the previous post, Braun and OP-BVNWHS won the Kansas 6A title this year.

=====

As for Isaac "Mackey" McBride, here are Shay Wildeboor's -- and HCBS' -- thoughts (again from December 2018) :

I know that his ranking doesn’t excite a lot of people, but I actually have pretty high expectations for Issac McBride. I’m not saying that he’s going to come in and start from day one, but I expect him to, over the course of his career, play a major role during his time in Lawrence.

I know that Coach Bill Self and the coaching staff are extremely excited to have signed McBride. One of those guys that they jumped on late, much like Frank Mason and Devonte’ Graham, and everybody knows how those two turned out.

McBride, during his prep career, has rewritten the record book at Baptist Preparatory School. In guiding Baptist Prep to three straight state championships, McBride set the school's single-season scoring record with 707 points his sophomore year in 2016-17. As a junior, he broke his own mark by scoring 883 points in 2017-18, which included a school-record 46-point game. In that, McBride averaged 24.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.6 steals per game in 2017-18.

"Issac, who we all call Mackey, can play point but he's a combo guard who can score," Self said. "When you watch him, you are so impressed with his range, quickness and explosiveness and his ability to elevate on his shot. We see him as a guy that can come in and obviously give us depth on perimeter shooting. He is a guy that can just score the ball. We haven't had too many here like that, a natural scorer. He's a combo guard that can jump up and make a shot wherever he is on the court."

McBride is a two-time all-state selection and was the most valuable player of the last two state tournaments his sophomore and junior seasons. A four-star recruit who is ranked 109 by Rivals.com, McBride is the highest ranked player in the state of Arkansas. He plays AAU basketball for the Arkansas Hawks.

"We saw him play in Las Vegas this summer with his AAU team. It was the first time we had ever seen him play," Self said. "He played against a team with two top-five players in their respective class and he dominated the game. We watched him a few more times at that event and offered him right after that event, after seeing him play about five times."

As a final update on McBride's senior season, his Baptist Preparatory team finished 30-4 (14-0 in conference) and made it to the Elite 8 in the Arkansas State HS Tournament before losing to eventual champion Ashdown (the first time in McBride's 4 year HS career his team did not take home the title).

Now if HCBS can just corral some combination of F Matthew Hurt (Self's top target and still picked by Rivals as a 78% KU pick; Duke in the picture now at 50% to KU's 44% in 247Sports Crystal Ball projections -- but KU has been after him the most, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed), PF Precious Achiuwa and SG Cassius Stanley, next year is looking pretty darn good. I have NO idea for certain where the additional scholarships will come from (signees Braun and McBride have the only two "for sure" rides available), but most folks believe Dedric is gone after his excellent junior season (Hurt would be his obvious replacement) and some seem to think Charlie Moore will be able to graduate transfer after this summer (I have yet to read *anything* substantive about that possibility). Could Dok leave? Could Silvio? For Dok, it comes down to his thoughts on his readiness to go and whether or not a solid senior season (and another year to try to improve his problem areas and thus his draft stock) would be enough to make a difference. For Silvio it all comes down to whether or not his appeal comes through and the NCAA reinstates his eligibility for AY2019-20. I am quietly hopeful, as the penalty given him was WAY out of line with past NCAA punishments for similar issues.

For now, Jayhawks -- let's make some NOISE in the NCAAT!

ROCK CHALK!

The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

More
5 years 1 day ago #22273 by JRhawk

More
5 years 1 day ago - 5 years 1 day ago #22274 by porthawk
Liked what he had to say here (bold is my emphasis):

“I like their atmosphere,” he told USA Today. “I’m really close with their coaching staff, just what they do every day and their academics person is really close with the guys, even if they go to the NBA. So it’s more of a family there.”

To that end, Hurt told Eric Bossi, of Rivals.com, that the family environment at KU extends beyond the players and their bond together.

“Their coaching staff’s really close,” Hurt told Bossi, noting that KU assistant Jerrance Howard was the lead recruiter for his services. “Me and him are pretty close.”

Last Edit: 5 years 1 day ago by porthawk.

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 11 months ago #22335 by HawkErrant
With the transfer of Charlie Moore we have 1 open scholarship after signing McBride and Braun back in November.

The Jayhawk Slant Hot Board lists these 2 as having HIGH interest in KU.

Top KU target Matthew Hurt (Rivals #7) is still a heavy KU lean per Rivals, although Duke has made up ground according to 247Sports. He will be announcing his decision April 19.

G Cassius Stanley (Rivals #33): talk I have heard (and TTBOMK it’s just talk) is that he favors KU, but we are competing with UCLA and Oregon.

Other Slant Hot Board prospects:

PF Precious Achiuwa (Rivals #16) is another target, but UConn seems to be in the lead for him according to 247Sports.

SG Harlond Beverly (Rivals #59) KU is a new player with him, we’ll have to see.

Tristan Enaurana (Rivals #105) is definitely interested. KU’s main competition is Creighton and Miami.

Regarding possible transfers, I have seen no one specifically mentioned in regards to KU,
Here is 247Sports Transfer Portal listing for 2019.

For those who may have forgotten (like me) or missed it, here's a quick explanation of the new transfer portal included in the KUSports.com story about Moore transferring:
"The transfer portal is a relatively new system, put in place by the NCAA in October of 2018, that tracks and sorts athletes who elect to continue their college playing careers elsewhere.

Instead of requesting permission to transfer or schools having the power to block undergraduate athletes from doing so, athletes on the move now simply enter their name and information into a form on a website — the transfer portal — and are out there for everyone to see."

=======================
Other possible KU losses that could yield open scholarships for next year (all old news so far):

Dedric -- most folks think he is gone. I hope not, but I agree, even though I think another year with Hudy would up his ability to play above the rim and thus his NBA stock.

KJ -- graduates this semester, getting married this summer, two years eligibility left. Will he stay if Dedric goes? If Dedric stays I think the answer is yes, otherwise I just don't know.

Grimes -- talk is he is still looking at leaving after one. I don't see it, but if he's set on going pro at any level it may be.

Dok -- will he leave after sitting another year, or we he stay to try to improve his draft status? I'm hoping the latter, but wish hi well regardless of his choice.

Silvio -- IMO all comes down to getting his appeal to play next season approved. Approved -> he stays, not -> odds are he goes... or not, if he is really looking forward to getting his degree (I have read in some places that he is, but ???)

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 11 months ago #22422 by HawkErrant
www.kshb.com/news/local-news/report-kans...lawson-will-transfer (as reported by NotOstertag earlier Thursday).

The Origin Post has been updated to reflect this news.

Nothing yet, but I figure this is all but confirmation that Dedric is leaving as well.

I'm still figuring Silvio and Dok to stay, but that is my hopeful best guess. If the NCAA does not relent re: Silvio's penalty, that could readily change for him. I just don't see Dok leaving after another season ending injury and so close to graduating. Probably wrong there, but that's where I'm at tonight.

Barring getting any graduate transfers to come in, if Dok leaves and Silvio doesn't play we are going to be very, very young next year.

SENIORS
F Mitch Lightfoot (S)
C Udoka Azubuike (S) Does injury keep him here? If so, will he be a RS Junior? Played in <30% of KU's games AY2018-19.

JUNIORS
G Marcus Garrett (S)
G Chris Teahan (W)
F Silvio De Sousa (S)? (will he stay or will he go? Just gut -- IMO he stays with KU amd fights NCAA while continuing his education)

SOPHOMORES
G Quentin Grimes (S) (still rumbling about his looking to leave, nothing definite as of this post)
G Devon Dotson (S)
C David McCormack (S)
G Ochai Agbaji (S)
G Garrett Luinstra (W)
G EJ Elliott (W)

If Dok, Silvio and Q leave, KU will have just 5 returning scholarship players, and 8 openings total and 6 more rides to fill to reach the 13 max for AY2019-20.

Going to be very interesting this month and next. Remember the NCAA deadline to withdraw from the NBA draft is May 29 this year.

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 11 months ago #22435 by HawkErrant
Rivals 2020 Top 150 #8 N’Faly Dante

Word from a source with strong connections to the Wichita area kid (a coach at his school) is that he is working to reclassify to 2019, and that KU is likely where he will land. Main competitors are LSU and Oregon, both looking at NCAA problems. Also some brush fires about money in the background, so while I love the talent I’m ambivalent about him coming to KU if it keeps the trouble fires burning.

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 11 months ago #22446 by HawkErrant
Juco All-American and Nebraska commit Jervay Green of Western Nebraska CC.
n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/jervay-green-233036

Now getting interest from Kansas and Oregon, he just had an in-home visit with new NU coach Fred Hoiberg.

Apparently NU and Hoiberg have already lost a few kids - Allen to NC State, Roby to NBA, two recruits reopening recruitment, now maybe Green?

Reports are Green is an ultra-athletic 6-3/195 SG.
Last season: 25.5 ppg, FG 54.6 %, trey 43.4%
this season: 23.6 ppg, 39 % from 3

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #22449 by HawkErrant

Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by HawkErrant.