Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Precious Achiuwa visits KU

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #21628 by replayloungehawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 1 month ago #21631 by HawkErrant
" "

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #21632 by Wheatstate Gal
Yee gawds!

Precious is beefy!

More
5 years 1 month ago #21633 by murphyslaw
Isn't he precious!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal, replayloungehawk

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #21635 by replayloungehawk
Haha. Where he goes I bet he'll get that a ton!

More
5 years 1 month ago #21636 by Bayhawk
A kid that size named Precious must have grown up like a boy named Sue!

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #21640 by HawkErrant

replayloungehawk wrote: Haha. Where he goes I bet he'll get that a ton!

Hope we get him and not Gonzaga -- can you picture the headline?

"Precious and Few!"

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: CorpusJayhawk, gorillahawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #21641 by AZhawk87
Looks like a beast, but the comments from his HS coach are interesting. Sounds like a bruiser, but needs a few years to improve his dribbling and shooting skills. His coach said he needs to focus on rebounding and defense, and made it sound like his basketball skills are lacking, particularly on the offensive end. Another McCormack.

The question is whether we have room for him, or any other recruit. If Dok and/or Lawson leave, it's just because they have nothing left to show at the college level. I don't think either gets drafted, though Lawson could go in second round and go straight to G-League. If they stay, then I think neither Hurt or Precious comes to KU.

Grimes stays for sure, unless he transfers, which who knows why he would do that unless it's clear he's getting passed over by others next year (OA).

Charlie isn't going anywhere, unless he wants to sit out another year, or unless Self moves him out.

So I understand why Hurt now is hot for Duke, and why we've been passed over by several top recruits already. Add the Adidas trial and, i'd be surprised if we land these big names.
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by AZhawk87.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #21647 by Wheatstate Gal
Thank you, my friends, for “going there.” I wanted to so badly and then decided to behave.

Thanks, too, AZ.....for bringing the peanut gallery back to order! (I don’t think the NCAA playing procrastination is going to help recruiting. Can’t you hear Ol’ Roy, now?

Ma’am, I’ll take precious good care of your little precious boy. Just like he’s my own son. He’ll be on the Deans list every dad gum semester. And we don’t EVAH worry ‘ bout the NCAA. We are clean. Dad gummed squeaky clean.)

Bitter? You bet your sweet glutes!

:-P
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Wheatstate Gal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw

More
5 years 1 month ago #21648 by JhawkMom
Poor kid. How could his parents do that to him :-(
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, newtonhawk

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #21657 by MountainHawk
NM

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #21658 by NotOstertag
Ugh....how many years of Precious jokes will I be able to stomach?!? The kid had better be able to play. ;)

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #21659 by big g
shame if we dont get Hurt and lose him to duke. up until recently the sites were putting 90% probability of him coming to KU. recent Athletic blog has grimes at 50/50 to transfer. also read somewhere that charlie moore might leave as graduate transfer and wldnt lose year of eligibility. that seems like a lock to me since there will be no minutes for him given dotson and new freshman pg. do think lawson comes back to work on his game/body so given that if we only lose vick and moore and everyone comes back ( incl silvio with adjusted penalty) plus three freshmen all of whom can contribute. cld be a perfect blend of experience and youth for self to manage. still anticipating a share of title this year but mostly looking forward to next year.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #21661 by HawkErrant
Your welcome, MountainHawk!
And I would be unkind to not say thanks to replayloungehawk for starting this thread!
I just piled on...:P

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #21662 by HawkErrant

big g wrote: shame if we dont get Hurt and lose him to duke. up until recently the sites were putting 90% probability of him coming to KU. recent Athletic blog has grimes at 50/50 to transfer. also read somewhere that charlie moore might leave as graduate transfer and wldnt lose year of eligibility. that seems like a lock to me since there will be no minutes for him given dotson and new freshman pg. do think lawson comes back to work on his game/body so given that if we only lose vick and moore and everyone comes back ( incl silvio with adjusted penalty) plus three freshmen all of whom can contribute. cld be a perfect blend of experience and youth for self to manage. still anticipating a share of title this year but mostly looking forward to next year.

Hurt
Rivals Futurecast currently has Hurt as 78% KU. 247Sports Crystal Ball: 50% KU; 39% Duke
Of note and FWIW: JayhawkSlant's head hoops writer and recruiting analyst Shay Wildeboor is confident -- as confident as I have ever seen him regarding any recruit -- that Hurt will be a Jayhawk.

Grimes transferring?
I just do not see it. It would effectively be admitting defeat for him, and everything we have seen is that Bill and the guys have been very supportive of him. Full disclosure I have no idea what the young man is thinking or feeling, but if he is looking at getting into the NBA earlier rather than later, transferring makes no sense as there is no better stage than KU for growth and exposure. There are comparable stages, but is losing the year worth it for his long term plans?

Charlie Moore graduate transferring?
I keep hearing this, but is he even close to graduating with just 3 years of college under his belt?
Freshman - Cal-Berkeley
Sophomore - transfer redshirt at KU
RS So - KU
Average hours to graduate still 120 for 4 year programs?
Has he been checking off 40 hours each year?
Has his college path been...
3 x (Fall 15 + Spring 15 + Summer 10) = 120
or
3 x (Fall 18 + Spring 18 + Summer 4) = 120
or some variant thereof?

I'm not saying he couldn't do it, I'm saying I have yet to hear/read any evidence that he is on track to do that. Because he has to be done and graduated to use the grad transfer rule.

Dedric staying for his senior year?
I like the idea, but don't think it happens.
If it does, we don't get Hurt, might get Achiuwa if another scholly opens up from somewhere.

Current scholarship status (from AY2018-19 KUMBB Recruiting thread):

13 total scholarships allowed each AY
-10 returning scholarship players (assumes 1 EE -- Dedric -- and no Other Losses).
= 3 max to 2 min openings
∴ anywhere from 1 to 0 scholarships still available as of this update.

Last Edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, murphyslaw

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #21663 by big g
thx HE for the clarity. i think grimes transferring depends on where he sees mins going which depends on whos coming in and ochais development. some of the speculation is that he needs pg minutes now to sell himself and he wont get those here. regarding dedric i understand why he wldnt come back but i have seen no recent mock draft with him even in second round. so does he leave for a tryout or europe? im guessing no if he thinks he can get a lot better next yr which he will with just dok back. re hurt it he wants to evolve to more of a three in college that cld fit well with dok and dedric no? pretty formidable front court with dotson and ochai or garret in the backcourt.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #21665 by HawkErrant

big g wrote: thx HE for the clarity. i think grimes transferring depends on where he sees mins going which depends on whos coming in and ochais development. some of the speculation is that he needs pg minutes now to sell himself and he wont get those here.

Plausible speculation, I agree, but the counter argument is that if he cannot make the grade at a major D1 school how does that project to him making the grade in the NBA, which has surely been the end-goal of his basketball career to date? Still, no accounting for youngsters sometimes, especially if (and I have NO idea if this is applicable, just thinking of Conner Frankamp and David Padgett) they have helicopter 'rents pushing them hard to look at what might be a better venue for them.

big g wrote: regarding dedric i understand why he wldnt come back but i have seen no recent mock draft with him even in second round. so does he leave for a tryout or europe? im guessing no if he thinks he can get a lot better next yr which he will with just dok back.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him back for his senior year. Get the degree for some post hoops insurance! And if he really believes he can achieve the big leap necessary to get listed in those draft projections, go for it. I'd take a practically guaranteed double-double a night every day, and twice on Sunday, especially with the prospect of serious work to get even better -- even with his iffy D and soft screens, which may be the very areas he would be looking to improve on.

big g wrote: re hurt it he wants to evolve to more of a three in college that cld fit well with dok and dedric no? pretty formidable front court with dotson and ochai or garret in the backcourt.

I certainly like this idea should Hurt come! Listed as a PF, from his pix and HT/WT stats he is not a big bruiser type PF, and working as an outside shooting SF would certainly be to his advantage in prepping for making the leap to the pros -- and to ours if he has that good of a shooting touch.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #21666 by NotOstertag
If somebody is in Grimes' ear about leaving so he can get minutes at PG, I'd remind him of Conner Frankamp. If I remember correctly he was afraid of not getting minutes and then due to injuries and transfers we were relying on Frank Mason to play 82 minutes a game (I might have some facts off here). Point is, the grass isn't always greener. Nevertheless I think it's in his best interest to stay and KU should be very good next year regardless. He'll play 30+ games on TV and have a deep run in the post season. He still baffles me, but I think he'll wind up being pretty good.

DL is the odd one. Not quite ready for the NBA but I still feel like he's peaking now and there's not much upside to staying. I suppose his people are looking at where he'll stack up in the draft vs. other power forwards and then try to forecast what the competition might look like next year. If you forced me to make a bet right now, I bet he goes to the combine without an agent and then (probaby) returns to Lawrence. Yes, I'm flip flopping on him. Ask me again tomorrow and I may change my mind again.

Unfortunately the 10,000 pound gorilla in the room is the NCAA. It's entirely possible that they could suddenly wake up and lower the boom on us this summer, at which case we might have several guys take off. It's also possible that this sword will be dangling over our heads for several seasons, and maybe we get the UNC treatment and it all just fizzles out without any real closure one way or the other. Nevertheless, if they opt for the former, all of this analysis (and projections of who might sign with KU) all go out the window.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot