Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU Recruiting for AY2018-19: is our cupboard really as bare as it appears?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #20589 by HawkErrant
I was asked the subject question today via another medium and thought I would repost my reply to it here.

I'm posting separately from (but linked to by) the pinned recruiting thread as it seems to me that folks may be a little reticent to make discussion posts there for whatever reason (I infer they want to keep it mostly for information and not obscure the info with discussion).

Any-way, here's my fleshed out reply to the question FYI.

Q: Recruiting Database 2019 ESPN 100
KU Recruiting for AY2018-19: is our cupboard really as bare as it appears?

A: No. First we have to understand that at present only Vick is a sure departure, so minimum available scholarships = 2 (LV + currently open ride) and 4*s SF Christian Braun and PG Isaac McBride fill those. Barring a major sea change it looks like Grimes isn’t going anywhere for at least another year. And if Silvio is approved to play, does he stay for next year as well or does he go? I think Dok is back for his senior year now after his injury.

Barring other losses (e.g., will G Charlie Moore be able to grad transfer?), I just don’t see more than 4 likely openings.

Self & Co are still going hard after (and so far guru favored for) both Top 10 PF Matthew Hurt and top 4* SG Cassius Stanley to replace a possible DLawson early entry and some other loss, and they are also in the hunt for EPSN#11/Rivals#9 PF Precious Achiuwa and newly reclassified ESPN#4/Rivals#3 SG Anthony Edwards, as well as still actively pursuing PF Trendon Watford (#24/#17) and PF Keion Brooks (#34/#27).

The adidas trials didn’t help with landing early signees in November, but if Silvio is cleared soon that will be huge for KU recruiting this year. I think we’ll see at least 2 Top 25 recruits end up with KU once all is said and done -- or 1 Top 25 and ESPN#26/Rivals#32 SG Cassius Stanley -- and those + McBride + Braun will fill the roster.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.