Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

AY2015-16 KUMBB Recruiting UPDATED 2016-07-18

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7564 by HawkErrant
Thanks for the link, Doc it worked fine. You just have to paste it into the window like you did and it will work as long as the link is intact. It's not pretty with a pristine label like it could be if you used the "Link" icon (the globe with the chain in the Boardcode command row just below the Subject window), but it's serviceable.

Very interesting article indeed, especially the text of this quote that reads to me like it's a "thank you for participating" speech to an admired contestant who did not win.

"I love Michigan State,” said Jackson, who is originally from Detroit. “I actually grew up a State fan. So, even if I decide not to go to Michigan State, they'll always be in my heart, and I'll always be a fan of them and coach Izzo."

Of course, it could be simple misdirection, too, to feed the curiosity until his announcement day sometime after the Nike Hoops Summit on April 9.

Thanks again!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7588 by HawkErrant
Diallo
Selden
Greene

Four open scholarships to fill as of today.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7604 by HawkErrant
Because high schools are not the only source of new blood..
ESPN's 2016 Transfer List

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #7614 by HawkErrant
As I noted earlier, Aussie PG William McDowell-White is supposed to be a very good (****) to excellent (*****) PG prospect.

I know, Self doesn't look for pure PGs, but with 4 rides and this kid still available...

Other than the mention on Scout, I've come across no connections between him and KU, but checking today I find that he is still listed as undecided on Verbal Commits, Scout, Rivals and 247Sports, but so far I only see him mentioned with KU on Scout. I can't find him in ESPN's database at all. Scout rates him 5 stars, Rivals and 247Sports rate him at 4 stars, Verbal Commits averages him out to a 4 star.
www.scout.com/player/202179-william-mcdowell-white?s=172
247sports.com/Player/William-McDowell-White-88917
n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/187625
www.verbalcommits.com/players/william-mcdowell-white

According to all the above, he has offers from Arizona State, Texas A&M, Hawai'i and Portland. Apparently he had planned to visit KU and Michigan State after attending the Basketball without Borders camp in Toronto back in February , but had to return home before he could work out visits.

Assessments from these sources:
SCOUT
At 6-foot-5, McDowell-White has very good size and strength for the point guard position. Although he’s not super quick, McDowell-White plays at a good pace, does a good job of mixing up his speeds.
Where McDowell-White really impresses is with his feel for the game. He’s effective in pick and roll situations and at BWB, he consistently made the right read. His passing is top notch, as is his vision. If he were in the United States, he'd be regarded as one of the top three passers in high school basketball.
Although not known for his scoring, McDowell-White did a good job of finishing when he had opportunities in the paint. But he also proved to be a capable shooter off the catch from deep. He even connected on three threes in one of the 16 minute games. If he continues to improve his shooting long term, he raises his stature as a prospect... the top available point guard prospect looking to attend college next season. His performance at camp was so impressive that one NBA executive asked me who could possibly be a better prospect at the point guard position in 2016 than him.

Pick and Roll (see the BWB link above for story)
McDowell-White has been regarded as one of the best international point guards in the Class of 2016 and he did all he could and more to secure his status among the elite at the BWB camp.

Reads like a better than Mark Turgeon type candidate to me.

Again, I've seen nothing with a recent date (last 30 days) about him, have no idea what is going on with him and if KU is even looking at him.

But with four openings now and the need to start getting some young playmakers in (with Frank being a senior and Devonté hopefully playing large next year) he might be prove to be a value worthy of a ride.

Last Edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by HawkErrant.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #7616 by JRhawk
Link to Bleacherreport site - about half way down is Box for McD's game last night. Also in the tweets, someone asked Biancardi who would likely end up at KU - said Josh Jackson and Maker (I know that & $5 might get you a cup of joe). Jarrett Allen played last night - will also play Apr 9th at Nike. Azu not on Nike rosters, but is on Jordan Brand - curiously, Josh Jackson is not on JB roster. Au played 15 min - 9 points, 8 boards (although 2 or 3 of the OB's where off his missed shot sequence,
bleacherreport.com/college-basketball-recruiting
Last Edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by JRhawk.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7617 by JRhawk

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7625 by JRhawk

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7627 by HawkErrant
Thanks for the update post, JR! I forgot to add one when I edited the origin post to reflect Alkins choosing AZ. Apologies for the oversight and appreciate you picking up the fumble! ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #7632 by konza63
For more recruiting-related information, see this thread:

www.rockchalk.com/index.php/forum/basket...ur-success-next-year

It started out as a "look-ahead" piece on 2016-17, focused heavily on the role of Carlton Bragg, but folks will find interesting recruitment-related takes in there as well.

(Just keeping things straight, and filling out HE's superb recruitment-tracking pin...) B)

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7649 by HawkErrant
1. Josh Jackson ***** SG or Terrance Ferguson ***** SG
2. Thon Maker ***** C/PF (assuming all is okay with NCAA eligibility) or Marques Bolden ***** C
3. William McDowell-White **** PG or a ball handling graduate transfer guard like Grant Mullins or Spike Albrecht to back up Frank and Devonté.
4. Terrance Ferguson ***** SG (if not #1) or Deshawn Corprew **** SG, or the best available graduate or regular transfer. I've read that someone at KU has contacted regular transfer Christian Kessee (CG, Coppin St). Based on his stat line (not a great assists line, okay re: TOs), I wonder what they see in him.

Dreamin' on a Thursday evening.
:P

• konza63
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7655 by konza63
HE:

Are we even in the running anymore for Bolden? Everything I've seen appears to indicate he's down to Puke and ConTucky. I'd love to have the kid (per that thread I started on Bragg today) because he's got "true Power Forward scoring machine" written all over him, but just didn't see it as realistic.

I thought about mentioning Spike A from Michigan myself in my "top 4" post (Bragg thread), but then I realized the dude is only 5'11 and is recovering from a double-hip surgery. I'd far prefer getting a high-upside, developmental PG (along the lines of Frank and Devonte when we first got them, actually) so that we have someone behind them when Frank departs next year and just in case Devonte breaks out and leaves then too (as a junior). Also to have a backup to spell those two, obviously--man, that seemed to bite us this year by tourney time (especially worn-out Frank).

I like Ferguson too...but figure if we land Josh Jackson AND retain Svi, the kid won't have any time to grow or play. With Corprew, he is not quite as highly ranked, which means he might be more inclined to know he has to work for future PT...AND what I love about him is his slashing game and sheer strength. As I said before, he looks like a hybrid between Langford and Selden (intensely aggressive rim driver but very sculpted--and would get even more so after being Hudy-ized). Just my thinking there...Ferguson or Corprew would be the cherry on top if we get JJ and TM!

Good stuff...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7657 by HawkErrant
RE: Bolden, you are correct, but he was my fallback on that line, and I did close by stating I was dreaming. ;)

Good points re: Albrecht. I would like to see KU land McDowell-White, who is my first choice in the PG pursuit, for all the reasons you noted. But I have only seen one place (Scout.com) that even mentions McDowell-White and KU together, so that's probably a pipe dream as well. From what I have read, if KU wanted him I think they would get the young Aussie. And he would help with the long term PG issue, unlike the GTs.

Re: Ferguson, I had him last for the points you mentioned. Corprew is probably much more likely, and last I read is very interested in KU.

Since we now have 4 openings, I would not be surprised to first hear of two commitments other than JJ and Maker. I know I would want to quickly lock in my prospects with a national powerhouse if I had the chance.

National Signing Day is April 13, just 13 days away. It would be great to have all 4 seats signed for by COB that day.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7660 by HawkErrant
BTW, I was just reading that KU may be interested in getting Arkansas G Jimmy Whitt to come to Lawrence. He's leaving Mike Anderson, who does not agree with the lad's decision, which speaks volumes to what he thinks of the kid for the future. link

The freshman PG is from Columbia, MO. He would have to sit out a year, so no immediate backup help at PG, but he seems like a solid asset for the future.

JIMMY WHITT
SEASON  MIN   FGM-FGA	FG%  3PM-3PA  3P%  FTM-FTA  FT%  REB AST  BLK  STL  PF  TO   PTS
2015-16	17.2  2.3-6.1  .387  0.2-0.5 .375  1.2-1.5 .792	 1.7 1.1  0.2  0.6  2.1	1.0  6.1

• konza63
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7661 by konza63
Hmmm...Arkansas cast-off...from Columbia...with lousy shooting stats and a sub-par A:TO ratio...

I say PASS. Surely KU can do much, much better than this.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #7662 by HawkErrant
:lol: :whistle: :pinch: :woohoo: :lol:

I thought you might appreciate keeping a Columbia kid away from there. :lol:

Last Edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7664 by HawkErrant
Apparently we have another youngster à la Svi on our hands in Mr. A. He won't turn 19 until September 2018, so the first NBA draft he will be eligible for is 2019.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7666 by konza63
Awesome. And I think he needs that 2 years, for the record. ;)

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7669 by JRhawk
Great. He will get a year to bang with Lucas, then be the man the 2nd year. Probably just as well that he needs a little time to develop.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 1 week ago #7688 by HawkErrant
Delaware's Korey Holden is the top transfer available this offseason according to Jeff Goodman and Jeff Borzello . He was 2nd team All-CAA last year, and wants a chance to play at the next level. He would have to sit out for a year. Here's his #s from last year.
MIN   FGM-FGA	FG%  3PM-3PA  3P%  FTM-FTA   FT%  REB AST  BLK	STL PF  TO  PTS
36.3  6.0-15.3 .394  2.3-5.9 .388  3.4-4.2  .795  3.0 4.2  0.1	0.4 2.1 2.9 17.7
For me he would be a hard sell based on his shooting #s and his TO average is almost 3 and his A:TO ratio is just 1.45:1
Granted he played on the 10th place team in the CAA, so perhaps he was overburdened there.

"

Last Edit: 8 years 1 week ago by HawkErrant.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7692 by konza63
Question: since Holden would have to sit out one year, does that mean if he transfers to KU he doesn't occupy a scholarship this upcoming season?

(That is, it wouldn't count against schollies until next year)

Thanks!