Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

AY2015-16 KUMBB Recruiting UPDATED 2016-07-18

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7903 by HawkErrant
Just got word he will announce then.
6.5 more hours.

Everything is pointing to KU, to include scuttlebutt from "sources behind the scenes", so there will be a lot of unhappy Jayhawks fans if KU (momma Apples choice) is not the choice.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7904 by konza63

"...there will be a lot of unhappy Jayhawks fans if KU (momma Apples choice) is not the choice."

You've got that right! :woohoo:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7905 by konza63
HE does a great job sharing Rivals info, which is superb. Just to round it out, here is what ESPN has to say about KU's 2016 recruiting haul so far. (The comments on Diallo are a bit behind, but it's still useful overall.)

Note: we're ranked #14 relative to other programs in their ratings on the eve of Josh's announcement. If he commits to KU, look for our position to jump considerably--I would suspect all the way to #5 or #6, at a minimum.

INSIDE THE KANSAS JAYHAWKS' CLASS

Who they have:

It was another relatively slow start for Bill Self on the recruiting trail, following a 2015 group that didn't have a commitment until nearly two months after the early signing period ended. The Jayhawks landed ESPN 100 power forward Mitchell Lightfoot (No. 64) in October, but missed on a few other targets -- and also saw a few primary targets decide to delay a decision until the spring. Like 2015, though, Kansas saw its recruitment heat up when the weather got cooler -- and Thursday brought yet another coup, as five-star center Udoka Azubuike (No. 22) pledged to the Jayhawks. Azubuike was long thought to be a Florida State lean, but after Azubuike pushed back a scheduled announcement, Kansas was able to beat out Seminoles and fast-charging North Carolina. Azubuike is a dominant physical force on the inside, and is one of the strongest finishers around the rim in the class. He's a threat to take down a rim any time he touches the ball in the paint.

Who they want:

It will be interesting to see what happens with Kansas' current roster -- which will obviously have an impact on how many more players Self needs to get in the 2016 class. Freshmen Cheick Diallo and Carlton Bragg have seen their minutes decrease as the season has progressed, and it's unclear whether either one will leave for the NBA after this season. If they both stick around, the Jayhawks are crowded in the paint and will still return their starting backcourt. Regardless of who returns, Josh Jackson (No. 3) is the biggest target left on the board. He's the top uncommitted player in the country, and recently took an official visit to Lawrence. Five-star big men Thon Maker, Jarrett Allen (No. 19) and Marques Bolden (No. 20) were all targets, but Azubuike's commitment could turn their attentions elsewhere. Keep an eye on new ESPN 100 wing Deshawn Corprew (No. 98), a former Arkansas-Little Rock commit. Kansas just offered, and his stock continues to rise.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7906 by HawkErrant
Come on, man, ;) :P I share ESPN stuff as well, the latest example being the Derryck Thornton post. Also stuff from 247Sports and Scout, and occasionally verbalcommits.com, Adam Zagoria, etc.

I'd share more stuff from those sources, but the reality is that they are seldom as current or as thorough as the Rivals data (e.g., without going back to check, it's clear to me that the ESPN analysis quoted hasn't been updated in at least two, perhaps more like three or even 4 weeks). Scout and 247Sports-Kansas will have the usual suspects and then the more "out there" stuff that seldom pans out but can be fun to chat about (e.g., I learned of William McDowell-White via Scout).

In other words, the reason the info I note here is Rivals heavy is because from everything I can see Rivals is the gold standard in CFB and MBB recruiting information.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7929 by HawkErrant
Ranked by ESPN the 14th best recruiting class in the country when it consisted of Udoka Azubuike and Mitch Lightfoot, the addition of Josh Jackson has pushed KU up to #6 as you projected, amigo. Since it is likely that KU will pick up at least one more HS recruit to fill the 3 remaining rides (assuming Diallo does NOT return, which is what Self expects), Self & Co (thank you, Kurtis Townsend!) may end up with another Top 5 class, depending on who else comes to The Hill. I don't see KU passing squid or K, and I'm not sure about MSU and UCLA (both have some highly regarded recruits), but Mississippi St, maybe -- especially if Terrance Ferguson (Rivals #12, ESPN #13) should decide "what the heck, let's play for history in 13 straight conference titles AND an NC" and came to KU.

ESPN 2016 RECRUITING CLASS RANKINGS [/u] thru April 11, 2016
R(C) PROGRAM
1 (6) Kentucky
2 (5) Duke
3 (4) Michigan St
4 (4) UCLA
5 (7) Mississippi St
6 (3) KANSAS
7 (3) Arizona
8 (4) Virginia
9 (4) Connecticut
10 (4) Florida St
11 (3) North Carolina
12 (7) Harvard
13 (3) Miami
14 (3) Auburn
15 (3) TEXAS
16 (3) UNLV
17 (4) Indiana
18 (3) Xavier
19 (2) Syracuse
20 (5) Gonzaga

OTHER TOP 40 BIG XII
24 (4) OKLAHOMA
39 (5) IOWA ST

LEGEND
R(C): Rank and # of Commits
BIG XII TEAMS CAPS and BOLD

Interesting note --
ESPN has Jackson listed as the #3 overall recruit for this year (Duke signees Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum are #1 and #2), but then ESPN lists Jackson as its overall #1 selection in early projections for next year's NBA draft. That seems a bit of a disconnect.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7931 by konza63
Good stuff, HE. Thanks for saving me from having to post that update! ;)

I had a feeling it would move us that far. I just wasn't sure if we'd get past Mississippi State, which seems to be a "volume" thing. (They sure seem like the outlier among all of the programs up there)

I like that ESPN had this to say, after noting KU's rise to #6:

With Jackson's commitment and Kansas' rise, North Carolina falls out of the top 10 of ESPN's class rankings.

Hmmm, recruiting problems in Chapel Hill now, owing to that dark, ominous cloud hovering over the program?

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7936 by HawkErrant

konza63 wrote: ... I like that ESPN had this to say, after noting KU's rise to #6:

With Jackson's commitment and Kansas' rise, North Carolina falls out of the top 10 of ESPN's class rankings.

Hmmm, recruiting problems in Chapel Hill now, owing to that dark, ominous cloud hovering over the program?

One can only hope, can't one? :evil: :whistle:

Actually Roy has been complaining about other programs using the "cloud" against his tarred holes for some time now.

Seems only fitting to me. :)

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #7954 by HawkErrant
Announced looking elsewhere for his last year of eligibility.
story
Stats

Not great stats, but a decent ball handler when healthy (2:1 A:TO).

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 week ago #7959 by HawkErrant
Signing Period window: 2016-04-13 thru 05-18

Per Rivals, Udoka is in New York for the Jordan Brand classic and not expected to sign until next week when he is back at school. No word on when Jackson will sign.

Waiting for those answers by return post... waiting, waiting...

• konza63
More
8 years 1 week ago #7961 by konza63
ESPN's top transfer prospects:

espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/stor...etball-transfer-list

Note that Holden, the Delaware PG KU has been looking at, is listed at #2, right behind Duke PG transfer Derryck Thornton. Rodney Pryor at #6.

FWIW...

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 week ago #7965 by HawkErrant
Thanks for the repost, you saved me the effort today! ;)

I would go for traditional transfer guard Thornton long term in a heartbeat.

Looking at graduate transfer guards for next year to share the load with F&D, just looking at how well they value and dish the ball I would hope that KU is looking at
Grant Mullins and
Spike Albrecht ,
the two best GTG's on (and just off) ESPN's Top 10 list.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #7979 by HawkErrant
Per JayhawkSlant/Rivals* - add another big man and possibly 2 transfers.
Expected to visit 5 star big man Jarrett Allen (Austin, TX; Rivals #20, ESPN #19) later this week.

Anticipation...

*Shay Wildeboor talking with Self at the banquet.

Last Edit: 8 years 1 week ago by HawkErrant. Reason: add note about source being Self

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 week ago #7992 by HawkErrant
www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/new...-to-enter-nba-draft/

Apparently they ruled that he was of age (19) and had been out of HS for a year (past year was at a prep school in Canada.

Do not know if the NBA also factored in that he was an international student (from Sudan).

If the NBA did not, it wIll be interesting to see if more players with questionable NCAA bonafides take this route.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
8 years 1 week ago #7996 by DrJHawker
This it the first I'd seen that Maker was cleared by the NBA for the draft. Thanks.

These kids are all so impatient to get to the pros. I'm a huge homer but I'd think Maker would do well to come to KU a couple seasons. He would get the bulk and strength he needs to add working with Hudy. get some time to develop as a freshman and then potentially be a viable lottery pick after his sophomore year.

I've read Maker is raw and his stock has fallen considerably in the opinion of the NBA and he may end up in the D league. It will be interesting to see what ends up happening with him. Of course, a 7 footer with any skills is going to get some attention.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 week ago #8029 by HawkErrant
Although the spring signing period began last Wednesday, KU still does not have LOIs from either Udoka Azubuike or Josh Jackson.

JayhawkSlant reports that Harry Coxsome (guardian of Udoka) expects Udoka to sign no later than tomorrow now that Udoka is back home from NYC and among his teammates and friends.

Still no word on when Jackson will sign. The last I read was he is waiting for his mom Apple Jones to travel from Detroit to Napa so she can be with him for the signing. The estimates were that it would be sometime this or next week.

Still no word on what Rivals #20 Jarrett Allen is going to do. Self & Co were scheduled to visit the 6-9/225 F in his Austin home late last week.

JayhawkSlant reports that Kansas is going to see former five-star guard/Duke transfer Derryck Thornton today. The freshman PG was #14 on Rivals final rankings for last year's class, and averaged 26 minutes a game for the Blue Devils this past season. Unhappy with the way he was used last year (after reclassifying from 2017 to 2016 at Duke's urging to help K land Brandon Ingram) and anticipating losing PT next year with Duke's recruitment of Rivals #10 player G Frank Jackson (Co MVP with [no relation] Josh at the McD game), Thornton is looking for greener pastures. He would have to sit out next year and then have 3 years to play at KU after Frank Mason has graduated. I like the idea of his changing from blue to Crimson & Blue, hope Self & Co can pull it off.

As to other guys looking to transfer to KU (graduate or regular transfer), former Robert Morris Colonial wing Rodney Pryor has decided to go with the Hoyas. Nothing else on any of the others noted on ESPN's Top 10 transfer list , which also lists *all* known MCB transfers for this year -- and where they are going, if already known -- in alpha order within the categories of graduate transfers and winter and spring traditional transfers.

That old Cowboy Self still has his irons in the fire, looking to brand at least 3 more with that crimson & blue bird brand for next season. Hope to see the rides taken by quality student-athletes before April is in our rearview mirrors.

Rock Chalk!

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, DrJHawker

More
8 years 1 week ago #8030 by DrJHawker
Great info. Thanks HE. I was hoping Self would be hot in pursuit of Thornton. He seems like the ideal player to slide into Frank's spot.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 6 days ago - 8 years 6 days ago #8035 by HawkErrant
KU Basketball in terested in former Duke guard

Nice summation and update, although for some reason he is operating from the position that Diallo may come back. It is still possible, he has until May 25 to change his mind, but Self has said he does not expect Diallo back, and the actions of Self & Co in looking for two ball handlers and a big to fill 3 openings tell us that they believe he won't be coming back.

Also note that transfer target Korey Holden narrowed his choices to Baylor, Virginia Tech and South Carolina on Wednesday, according to Jeff Borzello. Wonder if that is a sign that Thornton is coming to Mt. Oread?

Last Edit: 8 years 6 days ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 6 days ago #8038 by HawkErrant
All the rumors swirling around today are that KU is in very good with Thornton and Mt Oread will be the next stop in his college career. Two well placed sources (one with KU ties and the other with family ties) are both saying that DT likes the Jayhawks. The family ties source says KU has the edge over USC (the Trojans would be his hometown school choice), but it may be a little while before Thornton announces his decision because he wants to explore all his options. The KUMBB source says that the staff is very confident they will soon be coaching Thornton.

All this and a couple of $$$ can get you a cuppa joe, but you have to like what's being reported from sources that reportedly have good track records in picking program destinations.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, DrJHawker

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 6 days ago #8039 by HawkErrant
Shortly before I posted my last comment, ESPN's Jeff Borzello reported that former five-star PG/Duke transfer Derryck Thornton is down to Kansas, Washington, Miami and USC. According to his father, visits are in the process of being set.]

One of the initial reasons the Thornton camp was giving for transferring from Duke was the possible opportunity to be closer to his LA region home. This was viewed as a negative for KU's chances. However, the presence of KU, Washington and now Miami in his final four would seem to eliminate "close to home" as a key criteria for him.

KU's chances?

The only real "home" school on his list is USC. That program has a long way to go in a variety of factors -- national exposure, postseason opportunities, big time winning program, etc. -- to be otherwise attractive to him.

IIRC I have read that Washington is on his list is because Romar has been recruiting him since the 9th grade and is (or one of his assistants is) a family friend and godfather to a brother (if not to Derryck himself). But Romar is on the hot seat after missing the NCAAT for the last 4 years. so he might not be there much longer, especially after losing the freshmen future hopes of his program to the NBA draft as early entries.

Miami under Larranaga is a class program, but it would be an intraconference move for Thornton. While that would mean the chance to go head to head with Duke twice a year during the season, I have to wonder if the ACC, like the Big 12, takes away another year of eligibility for intraconference transfers for which a waiver is not approved by the conference? (Am I remembering the Big 12 policy correctly?) If so, I would think losing two years instead of just one would be a pretty significant deterrent.

So yeah, I like KU's chances.

Here is what Thornton told Scout.com about this decision, to include what he likes about each program, and that he will be taking all his visits before deciding.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Freestate69, DrJHawker

• porthawk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 6 days ago #8040 by porthawk
It's very much appreciated!