Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

AY2015-16 KUMBB Recruiting UPDATED 2016-07-18

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 9 months ago #8367 by HawkErrant
I understand your concerns, but to my mind Dad and he both want Malik a guaranteed R1, not a possible R2 when he leaves KU. That won't happen with just practice time, and Malik seems to understand that, as evidenced by this comment:
“I mean, I definitely will be playing in a Kansas jersey. After my first year of playing (in games), we’ll see how everything weighs out, and we go from there. I’ll definitely be there for two years, my sit-out year and the year that I’ll play,” Newman said.
Second chance: MSU transfer Malik Newman, KU ‘perfect marriage’

Of course, that could all be just playing for the audience, but it also makes perfect sense. After one false start, I don't think they will want another.

And frankly, even if he never played a real game for KU, if he practices as he has said he intends to (in order to better his game), our guards are going to be solid steel tough in games after the practices they will be going through against him.

It really is a no lose situation for KU as far as I am can see.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 9 months ago #8369 by HawkErrant
www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index...._picks_syracuse.html
Decision was apparently announced late Friday, I found the link today.

So -- all the 2016 Rivals 150 are spoken for, leaving transfers or JUCOs as the only newbies available to fill KU's last scholarship position.

Will Self go that route, or will he hold a ride open, giving it to a walk-on for next year? Could Clay Young be so lucky?

Only time will tell...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 9 months ago #8380 by HawkErrant
Even though he will only be able to practice this year and so has no real need to get an early start at KU, Malik is enrolled for the second summer session. That he is wasting no time in getting down to business is to me a great indicator he is all in for KU.

Still nothing in the grapevine about anyone for the last open scholarship. Keeping eyes and ears open for news, if any.

Rock Chalk!

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 9 months ago #8439 by HawkErrant
Tucker Vang has officially joined the team today.
KUAD: Tucker Vang Joins Kansas Men’s Basketball Team