Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

AY2015-16 KUMBB Recruiting UPDATED 2016-07-18

More
8 years 5 days ago #8046 by DrJHawker
Thanks for the information HE. I've loved the idea of Thornton being a Jayhawk. With a combination of your inside information and your logic, I'm feeling pretty good about it. Of course, anything can happen. It also looks like Holden has cut KU from his list, which puts more of our focus on Thornton. In fact, HCBS may have backed off on Holden with hopes of landing Thornton. With Thornton, this would be more riches to our already outstanding recruiting class and we would continue into the future with two strong combo guards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 4 days ago #8064 by HawkErrant
Jayhawk Nationals who follow MBB recruiting have been hoping that LOIs for Udoka and Josh would be in the hands of Self &Co by the end of this week. As I write this the watch continues. Worries? Not really, but I will admit I will feel a lot better once they have been received.

No other real news to report at this hour.

No change in the recruitment of Duke traditional transfer PG Derryck Thornton. He will be visiting his 4 finalists (KU. Miami, Southern Cal and UDub) before making his decision, but KU is in excellent position to land him.

On the Jarrett Allen front, some verified info and some unverified comments*.

Verified info -- tu PG and NBA draft early entrant Isaiah Taylor is signing with an agent, so he is not coming back. Bleacher Report (and if you've been paying attention to my diatribes over the years you know how much faith I put in bleacher report, even with them getting marginally better) has projected Allen to KU if Taylor stayed in the draft. As has been noted elsewhere, Taylor signing with an agent could end up being his greatest assist -- to the wrong team, but we wouldn't mind! :woohoo:

Unverified comments* -- Posters elsewhere write that Allen has an Instagram account with the username big_jayyy, and although he does not follow many people, he is now following both Udoka and Coach Jerrance Howard. Seem like good signs for KU if true. I loved the comment of another poster on another site -- "His Instagram handle is big_jayyy and his last name is Allen. It's clearly meant to be!" ;) TIme will tell.

*I don't have Instagram, and am not interested in getting an account there. If anyone is on instagram and can check if big_jayyy is in fact Jarrett Allen, please post here with your findings -- and TIA! :)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
8 years 1 day ago #8080 by DrJHawker
HE - What do you make of the Ayton stories and KU being his only suitor?

www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016...raft-kansas-jayhawks

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 day ago #8081 by HawkErrant
From what I have read so far, other programs have stayed away from him because they believe he won't qualify. He'll only be 18 this July, so he can't ask for an NBA exemption as 19 year old (and prior year HS graduate) Thon Maker did, so he can't go NBA if he does not qualify for school. Everything I read is his mom wants him to at least start in college and not go oseas to play, so that means he should be vested in qualifying.

I think I would go with what the kid is saying -- in interviews he says college is a must for his mom, so he's looking to go to school, and he has no problems as far as qualifying. Whether or not his program (Hillcrest Academy in Phoenix) might be an issue (think Cheick Diallo's school last year) is something I do not know, but IIRC I read somewhere that whatever past problems it might have had with the NCAA have been fixed. Once it becomes clear that this is the case and that he will qualify, expect the other programs to be in on Ayton.

The question will then be how much will KU's unabated interest from the word "go" weigh in Ayton's decision on where to go? Earliest reports were that he really wanted to go to squid, but is that still the case since squid has shown no faith in Ayton?

Time will tell on all counts.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, DrJHawker

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 day ago #8082 by HawkErrant
7:35pm CDT
Derryck Thornton will be visiting KU on May 3. Recruiting guru thoughts are that KU is in great position with him.

That is all for now.

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 11 months ago #8113 by HawkErrant
B)
Word just out on Rivals.

The following user(s) said Thank You: big g

More
7 years 11 months ago #8114 by big g
great news HE! far better scour team with him on it will make our guards better next yr and then he easily steps into franks slot when he leaves. any predictions on last two scholarships at this point?

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8115 by HawkErrant

big g wrote: great news HE! far better scour team with him on it will make our guards better next yr and then he easily steps into franks slot when he leaves. any predictions on last two scholarships at this point?

You are thinking of Duke regular transfer Derryck Thornton (FR PG, 3 years to play after sitting out next year), whose KU visit actually starts tomorrow (Wednesday May 4), not today as previously reported. Most analysts think KU has a very good chance of getting him, and then the situation you describe with him replacing Frank after next year sure seems like a natural progression.

Josh Jackson is Rivals #1 recruit this year (#2 ESPN), who committed to KU a couple of days before the signing period began last month, but then did not sign his NLI until today.

KU is still waiting to get an LOI from C Udoka Azubuike, too. Hopefully that will show up in the KUMBB offices soon.

After that KU still has 3 schollys to give, one of which we hope goes to PG Thornton.

KU is also still in the mix for Texas HS PF Jarrett Allen, who reportedly is down to KU, tu and some still say Houston, although there are those who say Houston is no longer in the running for Allen. KU fans are split pretty evenly between those who think he'll stay in Texas (pointing out that staying is often the result when it comes to Texas hoopsters) and those who think KU still has a chance (if Allen is so gung ho to play for Texas and Smart, why hasn't he just come out and said so?). The general logic of the latter bunch is that once it is clear that Diallo will NOT be coming back, Allen will choose KU. Rumor control has it that he will commit after the NBA combine ends (May 15), but since early entrants who have not hired an agent have until 10 days after the combine ends before they cannot come back, IMO if Diallo is the reason for the delay, Allen won't decide until the sooner of Diallo hiring an agent or staying in the draft after May 25.

The last scholly? I have come across no clear indication who else KU might be seriously wanting.

I have seen people asking about USF Dons regular transfer Devin Watson, a first-team All-West Coast Conference guard last season (20.3 PPG, 4.9 APG) and #4 on ESPN's Top Ten Transfers list . He would have two years to play after sitting out next year.

I have also seen discussion of Scooter Barry's very much younger brother and graduate transfer Canyon Barry (6-5 SG, Charleston Cougars, #2 on the aforementioned ESPN list) as a possibility. The talk is that he is looking at Cal, dad Rick's alma mater Florida and brother Scooter's KU.

But again, from what I have come across so far, no clear signs at this point.

Fingers crossed everything else plays out perfectly to fill a potential national champ roster for next year!

Rock Chalk!

Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhawkgib

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 11 months ago #8125 by HawkErrant
Udoka Azubuike made it official today! According to his mentor he is a legit 7-0 now, is taking care of himself and working to be ready to arrive in Lawrence next month for summer school. Remember that because of his youth KU will have him at least 2 years, same as Svi. Looking forward to seeing him in C&B! Woo boo! :woohoo:

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8134 by HawkErrant
ALL the talk is that Derryck loved the visit, and mom and dad were also very impressed. Supposed insider reports are that he is a "great cultural fit" and really loved his KU Experience.

"His dad just told me the visit was 'amazing'. I'll have more later." - Shay Wildeboor, 0953 this morning in the AFH forum on JayhawkSlant/Rivals

Derryck's already visited SoCal, and expect him to still make his visits to Washington (this Sunday) and Miami (May 15 -- and wouldn't you take an essentially free Florida vacation if you could?), But if all the talk after the KU visit has any validity *and* reliability, also expect him to be announce he will be a Jayhawk shortly thereafter.

No word on the other irons in the fire being tended to by Self & Co.

Rivals #20 Jarrett Allen (excellent Austin HS PF also being heavily recruited by Shaka) is still in play and hopefully will be a Jayhawk once Diallo is clearly locked out from coming back (May 25 is Diallo's deadline).

Repeating old news, word is that KU had been talking to graduate transfer SG Canyon Barry (Rick's youngest and brother (half-brother? IDK) to Scooter) and that traditional transfer SG Devin Watson (USF Dons first-team All-West Coast Conference under Rex Walters, 2 years left to play after sitting out next year) is interested in KU.

Nothing else to report tonight. Y'all have a great weekend!

More
7 years 11 months ago #8140 by porthawk
Lots of good stuff to think about related to recruiting!

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8146 by HawkErrant
With visits to USC, KU and UDub under his belt, Duke transfer PG Derryck Thornton will be making his final visit this Sunday to Miami. His decision date? No word so far, but all reports are KU is well in the mix if not the favorite. My guess is we will learn next week after he has had a day or two to go through all 4 choices. I'm biased, but I think he's a Jayhawk in the near future.

Rivals #15 (up from #20 in Rivals final #s of the year) Jarrett Allen (excellent Austin HS PF also being heavily recruited by Shaka) is still in play. It really is looking more and more as if the issue is Diallo, which is a good thing for KU if true. Again, May 25 is Diallo's deadline to choose to stay or go.

Should KU be fortunate enough to land both Thornton and Allen (or if we don't get Allen because Diallo stays), there will still be one scholarship left to fill for next year.

Of interest (but probably not of import to KU) is that Rivals #11 Marques Bolden (6-10/250 C) seems to be torn between Duke and UK. Wouldn't it be something if the DeSoto TX center has been talking to Allen about KU and... naah, nothing a pipe dream...

Other 2016 Rivals 150 that are still deciding as of today at 4:00 pm...
55 Charlie Moore	4* PG Chicago, IL Morgan Park 			  5'11"	160
84 Taurean Thompson	4* F  Wolfeboro, NH Brewster Academy		  6'9"	220	
85 Deshawn Corprew	4* G  Winston Salem, NC Quality Education Academy 6'5"	190
Illinois HS Mr. Basketball Moore had committed to Memphis until Pastner left, after which Moore immediately decommitted (April 8 ), but I've read that his wanting the ball in his hands from Day 1 as Pastner promised him at Memphis keeps him off KU's radar. KU has not made him an offer to date.

Thompson is reported to be focusing on Michigan State, Seton Hall and Syracuse as of 6 days ago.

Corprew told ESPN today that he is looking at KU, TAMU and LSU.

As to other transfers that had been in the discussion for KU:
Graduate transfer SG Canyon Barry has decided to spend his last year at his dad Rick's alma mater of Florida.
Traditional transfer SG Devin Watson (USF Dons first-team All-West Coast Conference under Rex Walters, 2 years left to play after sitting out next year) reportedly chose to stay in state at San Diego State.

I have seen no word on any other names in the transfer discussion for KU.

That is all for now.

ROCK CHALK!

More
7 years 11 months ago #8152 by JoJoHawk
ESPN reports he is signing with and agent. Any expected domino effect to this announcement?

More
7 years 11 months ago #8153 by DrJHawker
I hope a Jarrett Allen domino falls KU's way.

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8154 by HawkErrant
Diallo has really impressed at the combine. Word from NBA sources is will be selected R1 in the 20s. m.kusports.com/news/2016/may/12/diallo-h...ll=&templates=mobile

And here's Goodman today confirming Diallo is signing espn.go.com/nba/draft2016/story/_/id/155...ning-kansas-jayhawks

Hello? Jarrett Allen? Hello? There is a big man opening at KU with your name on it... and you're on record saying this is the time frame you would be announcing your decision.

Step right up, my friend, to the show that never ends! We'd be glad if you'd attend! Come inside! Come inside!

More
7 years 11 months ago #8155 by JoJoHawk
RIP Keith Emerson

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 11 months ago #8156 by HawkErrant

JoJoHawk wrote: RIP Keith Emerson

Indeed. :(

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 11 months ago #8157 by HawkErrant
Traditional transfer Evan Maxwell (C, 6-10/245, 10ppg, 4.8 rpg his soph season) is leaving Liberty to come to KU on scholarship. He will have 2 years of eligibility left after sitting out next year.

That leaves 2 scholarships left to fill for next year -- one for Duke PG transfer Derryck Thornton and one for Texas HS star Jarrett Allen.

Here's the KUSports.com article.
www2.kusports.com/news/2016/may/13/ku-ad...sity-sophomore-cent/

The article also confirms Diallo is hiring an agent next week ("Hello, Jarrett Allen!")

Note that Cheick has nothing but good things to say about his time at KU and HCBS. Really great to read that he is being a real ambassador for KU.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8158 by DrJHawker
Never bad to have an experienced 6'10" true student athlete, of high character who is thrilled to be at Kansas. Who knows, his brother may become a Jayhawk as well.

"I'm honored to say I belong to the best basketball program in the country. It's a pretty cool opportunity," Maxwell added.

www2.kusports.com/news/2016/may/14/newes...aks-saturday-after-/
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by DrJHawker. Reason: Left out something

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8163 by porthawk
Good stuff on Maxwell.

As for Diallo, the positive things he's saying about KU seem really genuine.
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by porthawk.