Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

NCAA Seeding?

• Governors
  • Governors's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17086 by Governors
With the debacle at OSU last weekend, the upcoming B12 tournament (ugh) and the drop in rankings to #9...............where would everyone like to see KU seeded for the big dance? Or............where should they be seeded?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago #17087 by HawkErrant
Not a 1, despite the "most wins in the upper quadrant" record this year.
It is my understanding we also have the most LOSSES in that "upper quadrant", so maybe all that record is really saying is --

1. The Big 12 is one darn tough conference, and we did well against our conference foes (except, of course... grrr), and
2. We played a pretty tough non-con schedule to get ready for conference play.

I think KU has earned a 2, and I hope that is what is assigned, the 2 in the Midwest Region.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, KMT, Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17088 by Wheatstate Gal
2 seed

(opinion hollered from the cheap seats!)

More
6 years 1 month ago #17095 by Bayhawk
RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17099 by konza63
If we're a 1, you can queue the "The Jayhawks are the Atlanta Braves of the NCAA...they dominate their league (division in baseball) during the regular season, then fold in the preseason" national narrative because chances are it will be thus. Especially this year.

I'd rather go in a little out of the limelight, with expectations not high, and then see how the chips fall. That means a 2 seed, in all likelihood, which also feels about right in the current field.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by konza63.

More
6 years 1 month ago #17101 by JoJoHawk
Here is my take: There is no way in H*** this edition of the Jayhawks is (“deserves” according to HCBS) a number 1 seed in the NCAAs. The ONLY way we should even briefly enter the conversation is if we sweep 3 in KC this week which I feel is highly unlikely.
This is a flawed team with a very thin rotation that has no effective back up for a point guard playing a hard 40 min a game. That is a great recipe for not winning 3 games in 3 days!
So assume we play well but bow out in KC after 1-2 games, then 2 seed at best. If we just don’t show up like in Stillwater and get “punked” again possible slip to a 3.
Anything higher than a 2, unless we dominate in KC, is the Committee purposely setting us up to fail! I totally agree with Konza63 on the national narrative stuff. “Most No. 1 seeds and fewest final 4s (or championships)”, “most historically underachieving NCAA Tournament team...” etc, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! Whatever!!!
Outside of a truly dominant team or two, and often with, the NCAA Tournie is great spectacle to provide fodder for water cooler break room “discussions”.
It is a one-and-done 3 week end tourney That finally awards a National Tournament trophy. It is a total crap shoot once it starts but can be manipulated with the seeding process. How the dominoes fall is based on how they’re set up. E+M+D=Ef. Emotion, motivation and desire (equaling Effort)are KEY in this game, especially at this time of year. While I feel that up-seeding may down regulate this equation, I am absolutely sure down-seeding (“disrespecting”) enhances a teams effort.
So lets see KU get a 1 seed and WSU (“Play Angrier!!”)or Cincy (anybody else watch that game?)get a 4,5 or 6 seed and be in the same bracket. If the play who would be more motivated???
Enough said- 2 seed or bust!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, JRhawk, jaythawk1

More
6 years 1 month ago #17102 by NotOstertag
I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I not only want a #1, I think we can make a case for it.

Why I want it: mostly because I'd rather play a 16, 8 and a 4 on the way forward than a 15, 7, and 3. In addition, I think statistically it makes the program look pretty solid getting yet another #1. I kind of don't care about the "Atlanta Braves" comments, because the vast majority of programs don't have ANY national championship banners or final four appearances. Then again, while I love the tournament, I've been pretty vocal in my belief that the NCAA tournament, despite all of its status, doesn't often necessarily find the best team in the country.

How I can justify it: I think that when you look at everything, the Big 12 continues to be the most difficult conference in the country top to bottom, and nobody really disputes that. The winners should get a #1.

I also think that a good showing in KC will secure it for us.

At this point of the season, the only thing I really want is another crack at OSU. I would love nothing more than to drill them by 30 points in KC this weekend.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17105 by JRhawk
Think you are spot on JoJo. A month ago the selection committee said KU was a 2 seed in the West. Nothing has changed since then - beat a depleted TT team there and got shellacked in Stillwater. Probably still a 2, but if lose to OSU this Thurs, likely be a 3 seed.
Selfishly, I hope either KU or WSU will be in Midwest Region, but not both.
Yes, I watched the game Sunday. Reaves and Frankamp 0 for 9 from 3-land was a killer. Cincy has tall guards and tough guys inside. Am hoping they meet again this Sunday, with a different result.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by JRhawk. Reason: Clarification as to whom I was replying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 1 month ago #17106 by JRhawk
NotO - I agree with your reasons for wanting a #1 seed. No doubt an easier path most times. I could care less about the "AB" comments either. IMHO, the only way they would deserve (less than a week till we actually know) a 1 seed is if they win the Big 12 tourney, which I seriously doubt.

• konza63
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17117 by konza63
I care about the national narrative on KU because it's very damning of the program that I love.

The narrative is widespread. I hear it all the time in the DC metro area, among different people I hang out with and run into. I can tell you it's pervasive - not so much the specific "Atlanta Braves" narrative (which I heard Lunardi trot out on national TV and thought it pretty much nailed it), but the "Kansas always gets a 1 seed and chokes" narrative. I think it's compounded by the fact that everyone and their brother participate in tourney brackets and therefore see KU getting a 1 practically every year and then falling well short of the hype.

We can blow that off and puff out our chests and say that many other programs don't even have a national championship, or we can look at the likes of UConn (4 championships in the last 15 years, 1 more than KU has garnered in the entire history of the tourney) and admit there's a problem. We can also look at our fellow bluebloods who we compete against (on the court and in recruiting) and see a very noticeable (and widening) gap in NC crowns: UK 8, UNC 6, Duke 5, KU 3.

We are simply too great of a program, IMHO, to settle for those results. At some point in time, to "seal the deal" on our elite stature, we need to bring home a couple or few more crowns. It's very simple. We have unparalleled history and tradition. That goes for our origins, our coaching, our arena, our players, and all of the offshoots that came (and continue to come) from Kansas basketball. We have set fantastic records in league play, and our consistency in getting to the tourney is the current pole-setter. We are #2 in all-time wins, and at some point if Self sticks around a long time, I suspect UK will have some dips and we'll surpass them. All of that is amazing. Exceptional. I wouldn't trade our program for any other. Ever.

But as an objective fan, I can take off the crimson and blue-colored glasses and admit that the critics out there (including many of my friends) have a point about KU post-season performance. Yes, the tourney is a crapshoot, but guess what? It's a crapshoot for UNC and Duke and UK and UConn as well. You can't have it both ways. KU needs more tournament crowns to demonstrate post-season excellence that is commensurate or on par with all of the other amazing feathers in its cap. I will believe that and shout it to the rafters till I'm blue in the face, and don't really care if I change opinions of those KU fans on the other side who pooh-pooh it as unimportant. But I do think simply dismissing it in a way is just an effort to sweep something ugly under the rug and pretend it's not there.

Last comment on this. How is the game that we all follow and love (NCAA men's basketball) any different from any other sport? In all sports, the goal of every team, every fan base, is to win it all. In the NFL, the goal isn't to win one's division every year and be happy with that. Hell no! It's to get to (and win) the Super Bowl! World Series, anyone? Stanley Cup? World Cup? As sports fans, I don't think that's too hard to understand.

It feels like we have this discussion every year. (Which also might be telling unto itself...) :P

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, JRhawk, Bayhawk, jaythawk1

More
6 years 1 month ago #17118 by sasnak
I would be happy with a 2 and settle for a 3. Look, we have had better teams who have been 2's and 1's who flame out the second weekend. I love these guys but their inconsistency will probably cause them to flame out early unless they find their mojo and go thru this weekend winning. I seriously have no expectations for this team. I would like for Devonte to put up some outrageous numbers in the next few games and clinch some NPOY awards

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

More
6 years 1 month ago #17119 by NotOstertag
And, just for the record, here's my response:

>UConn didn't even make the tournament last year and at 14-17 this year, won't be going again this year.

>Kentucky got bounced out of the NIT by Robert Morris in 2013, and also missed the tournament in 2009. Don't get me started on Calipari.

>UNC missed the tournament in 2010, and is guilty of the largest cheating scandal in NCAA history.

>Even mighty Duke isn't perfect. Missed the tournament in 1995.

KU hasn't missed the tournament since 1989. This year will make 29 consecutive appearances. During that time we've had 13 #1 seeds, 7 #2's, and have only been below a #4 twice. Say what you will about not winning the NC, but those seeds are certainly earned and nobody can come close to matching it. We've finished in the elite 8 or better a dozen times (43%) and final four or better 6 times.

I guess I have a really hard time being disappointed in that record, and if you take NC's out of the equation, we've been more "consistently good" than any of the other teams.

As for other specific program vs. program comparisons:

>Uconn = Jim Calhoun. They weren't much before he got there and haven't been much since he left. Yes, Kevin Ollie got them a championship, but that was almost as out of the blue as KU's 1988 team because UConn barely made the tournament that year as a 7 seed and went on to win it all.

>Kentucky = probably the closest to Kansas in terms of longevity of success. Of course it all started with a KU grad, so you're welcome.

>Ditto to UNC = sure, some UNC fans will talk about the Frank McGuire years, but in reality Dean Smith was the program. Another "you're welcome" from KU.

>Duke = Coach K. That's it. Their wikipedia page doesn't even mention the team prior to 1980, which in and of itself is pretty comical.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

More
6 years 1 month ago #17120 by JRhawk
Konza - my not caring about the comments certainly doesn't mean I like KU's tourney NCAA results. They say the truth hurts and let's face it, KU underachieves in the NCAA tourney.
NotO - 29 straight years in NCAA's, 20 1 or 2 seeds and what, one NC and 4 FF's - sorry, that doesn't cut it for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17121 by HawkErrant

konza63 wrote: ...Last comment on this. How is the game that we all follow and love (NCAA men's basketball) any different from any other sport? In all sports, the goal of every team, every fan base, is to win it all. In the NFL, the goal isn't to win one's division every year and be happy with that. Hell no! It's to get to (and win) the Super Bowl! World Series, anyone? Stanley Cup? World Cup? As sports fans, I don't think that's too hard to understand.

While I wholeheartedly agree with your post and want to see our beloved Jayhawks win more NCs (FFs are great, but not my hope for the team) to add to Bill's and the program's lustrous reputation, I have to point out -- as we are all too painfully aware -- that the only championship listed above that really fits with CBB is the NFL single elimination playoffs system. All the others provide at least a second chance for a team to win it all if they have a bad game. But in the win or go home NCAAs one bad game -- or one really playing out of their minds game by the opponent -- can end a year for any team.

KU has been to 14 FFs
COACH        FFs  NCs  NC%
Phog Allen    3    1  .333
Dick Harp     1    0  .000   
Ted Owens     2    0  .000
Larry Brown   2    1  .500 (1.000 if Archie not injured?)
Roy Williams  4    0  .000 (Cry for 1997 and 2003...)
Bill Self     2    1  .500

Even the great Phog Allen only won 1 of 3, and only made the FF 3 times in his 16 years of coaching from the tournament's inception.

If our guy Bill can get his squad past the Elite 8 (which is, of course, an integral part of this topic, along with Roy's FF 0-4 and 1997), Bill has done well.

So to your question, yes the goal is to win it all, that is not too hard to understand. But only the NFL and the NCAA share the single elimination format that makes it so damnably hard,, which is why it is not unusual for either sport to have a champion which is not considered by most to be the best team for that year -- just for that day.

Since I do not want this year's team to add fuel to the fire of this discussion, I do not want the 1 seed for them. It has not been helpful to this program advancing in the past. Besides, we all know that what is more important is how the brackets are set, so I hope for a good bracket more than worry about a particular seed.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

• konza63
More
6 years 1 month ago #17122 by konza63
I couldn't agree more on the problem with the tourney format, HE. All too often it doesn't reward the best team overall (just the hottest and/or the one that catches some breaks). Of course, there are notable exceptions to that (UK 2012, for sure), which is a testament to that team and coach in going the distance with the target all year as the team to beat).

But it's titling at windmills in a way, because the format is never going to change to a multi-game series format. There are WAY too many teams and too much money invested in the current format to even make it worth discussing.

More
6 years 1 month ago #17125 by porthawk
...this has been a great discussion, all. Very insightful stuff all around.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17126 by HawkErrant
Right with you on the windmill tilting, Konza63.

Only way to really change the narrative is for KU to not just make the FF, but to win it all.

It would be deliriously ironic if what is arguably Self’s worst team to date would equal what only his arguably best team to date has done and win its final game of the year.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
6 years 1 month ago #17129 by Kong
First we are the Atlanta Braves, then HE basically says we are the Buffalo Bills.

Either way, they are not good comparisons if you only care about championships or place a very high value on those.

My perspective is as follows:

In the old days making the tournament was an amazing accomplishment. The Final Four wasn't really a thing until the Magic Johnson Larry Bird game was so hyped. That game changed a lot of perceptions about the NCAA tourney, for good and bad.

Since the expansion to 64, I always placed a great deal on Final Fours. Why there and not the NC? Because it is indeed a crapshoot. You don't have to look any further than the 86 and 88 KU teams to verify that. In 86, one could argue that we were the best team in the nation. We did not win the NC. In 88, one could argue that we were lucky to make the tourney and we won the NC.

Today, it is all about NCs. I think that is wrong and cheapens a teams accomplishments through out the year. This year is a good example. KU just accomplished something no other college in D1 has ever done. We stand alone with 14 straight Conference Championships. That is amazing and should have value. Yet many are saying that it doesn't mean anything if you don't win an acknowledged crapshoot. That doesn't make sense to me.

I value FFs; I value NCs; and I value Conference Championships.

Would I love to have more NCs? Absolutely. Do I think KU is somehow diminished by not winning them? Maybe slightly, but not to the same degree that many seem to feel.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17132 by HawkErrant

Kong wrote: First we are the Atlanta Braves, then HE basically says we are the Buffalo Bills.
I value FFs; I value NCs; and I value Conference Championships.

Would I love to have more NCs? Absolutely. Do I think KU is somehow diminished by not winning them? Maybe slightly, but not to the same degree that many seem to feel.

LOL!:lol: :side: :silly: :lol: :woohoo:
I was not thinking of the Bills under Jim Kelly, but yeah, it's a decent comparison -- except for the fact that KU has won the whole shebang 3 times now.

I am with you 100%, Kong. Unfortunately for KU's rep, the greater perception of others, unwashed in the history of the program and cemented in the prevailing "what have you done lately" attitude, is the underachiever label. And it is hard for us to argue with them based on total FF appearances and total NCAA titles, especially compared with the other blue bloods and UConn under Calhoun (who once making the FF won the NC 3 out of 4 times, with Ollie heading the absurd 2014 title winner).

More
6 years 1 month ago #17144 by Riverhawk
if this year ends the way I think it will (and with Dok's injury it seems even more likely) then it will be 14 conference titles in a row and 2, just 2 Final Fours. That is a real puzzler given how loaded some of those teams were. I truly believe the KU tradition and brand if you will is second to none, but I can understand how outsiders would see the end of the year stumbles differently than many of us do. Until the record changes, the reality is that kind of talk will continue. I recently read Beyond the Streak by Jason King. Fun read, but painful too because of the rehash of games like Bucknell, VCU, Northern Iowa, etc.
What was interesting to me is that the former players often seem just as puzzled as the fans by the losses. Couldn't figure them out either.