Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

NCAA Seeding?

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago #17280 by HawkErrant
Before today (Fri, 2018-03-09) the talk for the projected 1 seeds (from first to fourth 1 seed) and their regions has been as follows:

Virginia (Charlottesville, VA) - South
Villanova (Philadelphia, PA) - East
Xavier (Cincinnati, OH) - Midwest
KANSAS (Lawrence, KS) - West

with Duke being practically everybody's (not just Lunardi's) first 2 seed, and the talk being that if Duke could win the ACC Tournament it would leapfrog KANSAS for the 4th #1 seed.

Today --

KANSAS beat KSU to advance to the Big 12 T final.
UNC sent Duke packing to prepare for its 2 seed posting, and
Providence beat Xavier in a Big East semifinal to knock the Musketeers out of the Big East Tournament, but not out of their 1 seed projection.

SO...

Whether we want it or not, with the KANSAS Big 12T wins and the Duke loss tonight it looks as if KANSAS is a lock for a 1 seed regardless of the outcome of tomorrow's Big 12 T game against WVU.

The big question now is this -- if KANSAS wins the Big 12 T, will that give our Jayhawks enough "oomph" with the Selection Committee to keep KANSAS in the Midwest (Regional Finals in Omaha) and send Xavier to the West (Regional Finals in Los Angeles)?

I would prefer the Midwest sl KANSAS plays in Omaha if our guys get to the Sweet 16, but more than anything else I would really like to see KANSAS get a break in who fills out the bracket in whatever region they end up heading. For example, here's Lunardi's projections as of tonight --

If the only changes to these projections would be for KANSAS and Xavier to end up switching regions -- i.e., all the other teams in the two projected brackets stayed the same -- I would just as soon KANSAS got assigned to the West and not the Midwest. I would HATE for KANSAS to possibly have to face any of these teams before the Final Four --

UNC
Michigan St
Wichita St
Kentucky
Missouri
Kansas St

What say ye?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.