Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

NCAA Seeding?

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17152 by konza63
Kong:

You made the statement:

KU just accomplished something no other college in D1 has ever done. We stand alone with 14 straight Conference Championships. That is amazing and should have value.

Anyone disagreeing with that should have their head examined. I can only speak for myself, but I think that is an incredible feat, and I've posted on here that I believe it is woefully undervalued, underappreciated, and under-covered by the national media. If it had been Duke, UNC, or UK, it would've been covered ad nauseum.

Speaking again just for me, I also have made the point in recent weeks that, for me at least, gaining title 14 in a row was the season's main meal for me. In most seasons, I place greater value on deep tourney runs than league success (though I do value the latter, but it's not the same as post-season success), but this season, given the historical nature of the crown pursuit and given the inadequacies of this team, I basically set my expectations sometime, oh, maybe in January, for winning the league crown as the optimal season goal.

Mission accomplished. And I, for one, am satisfied with the season. But come next year, my expectations turn back to post-season success. That's the ultimate metric. And if it's not, then why even have a championship? Not only in this sport, but any sport? Let's just play games for the regular season and congratulate the league winners on a job well done, then move on to the next sport and season. No champion, just a bunch of dispersed league champions.

As for your attached, follow-on comment about the 14th title:

Yet many are saying that it doesn't mean anything if you don't win an acknowledged crapshoot. That doesn't make sense to me.

Can you point to the commentator (national, local, or on this board) who is saying this? Because I most definitely disagree. Again, for this year, I've adjusted my expectations downward on post-season success. And my joining this thread in the first place was grounded in that impulse - namely, my assertion that it would be better to go in as a 2-seed this year than a 1-seed, primarily due to our inadequacies and the damning narrative that is pervasive out there about KU choking with all of its 1 seeds. Of all the years we could be a 1, this is one year I personally want no part of. Mainly because it's a recipe for disappointment, and further fuel for the anti-KU narrative. The latter pains me greatly, as an alum, a fan, and a student of the game, given KU's second-to-none tradition, history, and impact on the game.

Anyway, I'm just curious who is making the argument that the historic 14th successive crown doesn't mean anything if we don't win a title.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17157 by KMT
Thanks Konza - feel the same way.

As a point of reference, I live in Big 10-land and am in a men's league every Wednesday...in the past two weeks, many of the dudes have commented that KU's conference run is incredible, and this year was unbelievable on how they won when they had to...they also state they would trade their favorite team's history any day of the week for KU's regardless of NCs.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by KMT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, newtonhawk

More
6 years 1 month ago #17162 by NotOstertag
Couldn't agree more, Kong. Well said.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 1 month ago #17163 by NotOstertag
Konza posted: "Can you point to the commentator (national, local, or on this board) who is saying this?"

I don't know that I've heard commentators say this, but I do think that this time of year a lot of casual college basketball fans come out of the woodwork, and to them, the only thing they care about is their office pool and the NCAA tournament. So as they do their "research" to fill out their brackets, they come across information about KU's early exits from tournaments in the past and pontificate that "KU never wins."

So if there are 100,000 avid college basketball fans between December - February, there are now 10,000,000 "fans" once the tournament rolls around, and most of them don't know much. Most of them have no idea about the 14 in a row.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17165 by konza63
True that, NotO. (The woodwork angle and the gazillion insta-pundits) They're not unlike the folks who pick football teams in weekly pools based on the color of their unis or how cool their helmets are. :P

I don't think you can dismiss all purveyors of "the narrative" as uninformed or merely casual observers, however. Many track the game and convey that view (Lunardi is one...a nerdy dimwit in some ways, I know, but not exactly some dude who never watches games--he watches probably more games per season than the entire membership of this board combined, because it's his job)

I also do think that many purveyors of the narrative have bad motives -- namely, bashing KU because they realize the incredible success KU has had in every measure except NCs. Whether that be league championships, consecutive tourney appearances, 1 seeds, # of weeks in the Top 25 rankings over X amount of time, and on and on and on..

The more informed observers know this, but they often hail from either:

a) a competitor in the Big 12 or nationally (esp. bluebloods, who despise KU just like we KU fans tend to despise the other bluebloods--funny how that works); or

b) a school that is consistently lousy in hoops

So they slam KU on NC crowns because it's basically the only way they can do so. KU's dominance and history on every other measure makes it relatively impervious to criticism. Which takes me right back to where I started:

If we want to take the wind out of the sails of the national anti-KU critique, AND if we want to round out our "elite program" resume in the fullest fashion possible, and on a level commensurate with all the other metrics for which we are unassailable, we need to win a few more national championships in coming years. Not in coming decades, but in coming years. As in 2 or 3 over 20 years.

And with the level of talent combined with great coaching that we have year in and year out, and have had since the early 90s, we should be able to do that, just based on the law of averages. Which is what makes '86, '97, and '03, in particular, so damn painful. But especially, for me, '86 and '03, because those teams actually lived up to their expectations deep into the tourney (unlike the '97 team) and should've taken the crown if not for horrible injury luck (Archie) and ridiculous free throw shooting (freaking Syracuse). (And yes, the "Dean" hotel pigeonholing factor as well in '03)

I'll stop there, cuz now my temperature is rising ('86 and '03...just can't shake those memories).

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, KMT

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago #17171 by HawkErrant
konza63 wrote: And with the level of talent combined with great coaching that we have year in and year out, and have had since the early 90s

Make that early 80s with the arrival of Brown for the 1983-84 season and we are in lockstep,Brother K!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
More
6 years 1 month ago #17174 by konza63
I started to write early 80s but then realized it wouldn't have been factually accurate for the late 80s (when we won with one amazingly talented superstar and some role players, then went on probation and took a year to recover before Roy started the re-ascendancy).

But that's a minor point. For the most part, you're right: early 80s on.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17178 by HawkErrant
You wrote: And with the level of talent combined with great coaching

The level of talent did dip a little because Larry’s “traveling man” rep kept him from landing top recruits (I’m still surprised he landed Kevin Pritchard and Mark Randall), but the great coaching was always there, which is why I always start with 1983-84 and Brown.

Also —

There is no question Roy had some rebuilding to do when he took over, and the probation hurt (for something that today would be notifying the NCAA for the okay to help a kid with a family crisis), but IMO his first team would have made the tournament but for the probation. And he managed to get some excellent players in despite hamstringing himself by refusing to compete with The Traitor Smith for recruits. He never really had the relatively consistent recruiting success Self has had even with landing Pierce, Gooden and Simien (we both recall Kirk and Nick ended up at KU because Tim Floyd went to the NBA and Kirk brought Nick with him, and correct me if I’m wrong but I seem to recall KU was not Raef’s initial choice either? Wasn’t he Iowa bound? Then Tom Davis left? I’m a little Phoggy on that ;) ).

Finally, I note that because of Roy’s alternate year recruiting success, your “superstar vs solid player” argument for excluding the post-Manning 1980s could also apply to the post-Pierce/LaFrentz 1990s.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17179 by HawkErrant
I correct myself on Roy and LaFrentz. Raef was Iowa’s top prospect, but chose KU because he felt he could better accomplish his goals at KU. It was losing him to KU that played a role in Tom Davis not being kept on by Iowa.

www.google.com/amp/www.thegazette.com/20...e%3ftemplate=amphtml

Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.

More
6 years 1 month ago #17182 by LSHawk
I’m a KU alum, season ticket holder, and overall super fan, but I have, unfortunately, learned to go into the post season with low expectations. This year, in particular, I believe a miracle was performed getting #14. So, finishing 0-2 is where my expectation is at.....and any wins will be gravy...

More
6 years 1 month ago #17183 by LSHawk
I’m an alum, season ticket holder and overall super fan, but I have learned to lower my expectations for post season. I believe getting #14 was nothing short of a miracle this year and I’m thrilled we made history. I expect 0-2 hereafter, though. Any win will be gravy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
6 years 1 month ago #17184 by LSHawk
Sorry for the double post; didn’t see page 2

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17187 by HawkErrant
konza63, thinking about our discussion on the late 80s and late 90s, I took a look at the records post-Manning and post-Pierce/LaFrentz, and they are quite similar.
YEAR    W-L   (Conf)  *   NCAA
1988-89 19-12 (6-8 )  6   Ineligible - probation (1)
1989-90 30-5  (11-3) T2   Round 2
1990-91 27-8  (10-4) T1   NC game

1998-99 23-10 (11-5) T2   Round 2
1999-00 24-10 (11-5)  5   Round 2  (Gooden, Hinrich, Collison freshmen)
2000-01 26-7  (13-4) T2   Sweet 16 
Notes
* Conference finish
1. Big 8 one year off being the toughest conference in the county (OU, KSU, ISU, NC KU). 
If not on probation probably win at least 20 given Roy's postseason record of never losing
in the first round of the NCAAT.

I was also struck by something else in the old Bill can't get past the E8 discussion.

Roy got to the E8 just 5 times in his 14 chances at KU, advancing all but once.

Bill has gotten to at least the E8 7 times in his 14 opportunities at KU to date.
The complaint, of course, is our failure to advance to the FF in 5 of those opportunities.

Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Fix NCAA results

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17210 by HawkErrant

LSHawk wrote: I’m an alum, season ticket holder and overall super fan, but I have learned to lower my expectations for post season. I believe getting #14 was nothing short of a miracle this year and I’m thrilled we made history. I expect 0-2 hereafter, though. Any win will be gravy.

Agreed on #14 being rather miraculous. The guys had to play well down the stretch despite being so thin, and let’s face it Providence stepped in as a 6th Man in Lubbock to help seal the deal. They might have won even if Tech had its PG @100%, but we’ll never know. And we’ve had our own share of injury disappointments, so I guess this time the wheel of fortune turned in our favor.

That’s 1-0 so far.

More gravy, LS? ;)

• konza63
More
6 years 1 month ago #17213 by konza63
Well, as luck would have it we're drawing Whiney and the Staties tomorrow, so yes, I say more gravy. :P

I really wish it had been TCU, just because now the game tomorrow matters and will have extra juice with Whiney wanting to beat Self, the Staties getting their 3rd crack at us (never good), and all those purple fans that will be in the house alongside the blue.

I had kind of hoped we'd get at least one break (decent draw) in this tourney, but I guess not. Yet another game coming up where the whole squad will be pushed and our key players will play a ton of minutes...

But it's the Purps, so here's to a win. And a double-heaping of gravy on LS's biscuits. ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

More
6 years 1 month ago #17219 by hairyhawk
I thought this game was great today. I also agree that any game after this is pure gravy. Hopefully Malik can finish the year, the next 8 games on a roll.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant

More
6 years 1 month ago #17226 by LSHawk
Got my gravy....I want more.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17227 by HawkErrant
And so say all of us!
B)

• konza63
More
6 years 1 month ago #17228 by konza63
:lol: :lol: :lol:

More
6 years 1 month ago #17230 by NotOstertag
Good comments.

Something Konza pointed out struck me about our critics: "b) a school that is consistently lousy in hoops"

When was the last time any of us started kicking around Appalachain State for their lack of success in basketball?

The fact that we're even having this discussion about 1.) how great our program is, and 2.) how relatively few NCs we have is kind of a luxury, since #2 wouldn't even be something to think about if there wasn't an inherent acceptance of #1.

I think that'll be my new tact moving forward if somebody wants to get lippy:
"So you're saying that we don't have one of the best and most consistent programs in the country?"

If yes: "clearly you're misinformed, 14 straight conf camp, and haven't missed the tournament since Milli Vanilli were popular."

If no: "ok, so we agree that KU is one of the top programs in the past 3+ decades."

Done.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, Governors