Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Any Updates on the Ongoing Saga of Billy Preston?

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14507 by Senex68
nm

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 4 months ago #14508 by CorpusJayhawk
The administration is doing a fine job of keeping this under wraps. That is probably a good thing. We are fortunate we beat Kentucky. We have 3 more quasi cupcakes over the next couple weeks. They need to get this resolved pretty quickly. On the one hand I feel for the kid if this is all just clearing up an administrative necessity. But if this kid is culpable of something that was completely preventable it will not be an easy road for him. This is not the happier side of college sports.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• Senex68
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14509 by Senex68
The whole thing seems quite peculiar. His mother has stated that she gave him the car, and it apparently was registered properly and Compliance was fully aware of it. So what could possibly have happened that is putting this guy's career on hold?

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
6 years 4 months ago #14511 by NotOstertag
All speculation at this point with few facts available.

I'm inferring that the concern is that the car may have been obtained against NCAA regs. If that's the case and a booster or agent or some other sleazeball gave him the car in exchange for something, Billy could be in hot water, and we need to keep him from playing until it's resolved.

Obviously if a sleazy agent were to give him a car, and he was a moderately intelligent sleazy agent, he'd try to create a paper trail that would make the car look legit. Working in reverse order, the mother would obtain the car and give it to him. No problem there. Mom has receipts and title for the car, and she can give it to her kid. But how did mom buy the car? Did somebody give her the money? Maybe somebody gave her the money in a legitimate way, but that person was bankrolled by the sleazy agent.

Again, this is all conjecture on my side, but it's the only thing that makes sense. Somewhere along the road, the accident triggered something that raised a question about how Billy (or his mom) came into possession of the car (or the money to purchase it).

The fact that this ISN'T being cleared up quickly gives me a sinking feeling, quite honestly. I hope I'm wrong, but then again, when you have an "amateur student athlete" driving around in a brand new flashy car, the optics are bad to begin with. There are a lot of predatory people out there who are willing to tempt players and their family members with this kind of thing in exchange for some kind of future payback.

I'd be interested to hear any other theories.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 4 months ago #14512 by Bayhawk
As good as guess as any NotO. So far this season the lad has been benched for not going to class and being late for practice (or some such), and now a suspicious and ostensibly illegal arrangement with a vehicle nobody I ever knew in college could afford.

I say the next crisis is his third strike and he's out,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
6 years 4 months ago #14514 by NotOstertag
I'm not sure about the 3 strikes rule. Strike 1 was a formality for clear and fairly minor infraction of team rules. Stayed out past curfew and missed a class. Slap on the wrist stuff.

The car thing in and of itself could be a deal breaker, depending on what happens....or nothing at all.

I'm also unclear on the value of the car. I believe it's a dodge charger, which can range in price from a not-unreasonable $28k up to $67k for the high end version. If it's a base model, I'm less concerned, but if it's the $67k muscle car, that doesn't look good. Still, there could be a logical explanation....grandma passed away and they sold her house and had some extra money come in, etc.

If this ends up being a tempest in a teapot and the car is 100% legit, then I think he's out of any dog houses and has a clean slate. What's troubling to me is that the potential of the car thing. In that case, I'm glad he hasn't played yet because he'd certainly be out of college basketball, and then you need to worry about whether KU suffers any blowback.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, Wheatstate Gal

More
6 years 4 months ago #14521 by Bayhawk
"If this ends up being a tempest in a teapot and the car is 100% legit, then I think he's out of any dog houses and has a clean slate. "

Make it so basketball gods, make it so . . . :( I'll gladly eat my words. ;)

RC

-- Jules Michelet

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14523 by Wheatstate Gal
Hey, Brutha Bay.....u back among the living?

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14524 by Wheatstate Gal
At some point (during my surgical pain alleviation period) I thought the vehicle was a Range Rover.

Regardless, either vehicle is a lot more expensive than Wheatie would purchase. But she ain’t no teen aged BMOC either!!!

;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 4 months ago #14525 by Bayhawk
Off IR, but not cleared to play tomorrow night. ;)

How's the bee's knees?

RC

-- Jules Michelet

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14528 by Wheatstate Gal
Glad to hear u r recovering!

OK here. Won’t be off IR for a while.....2 weeks out from surgery today.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 4 months ago #14536 by HawkErrant
Latest from Self today — still waiting for resolution.

Let’s face it, the longer this takes the more likely it will be bad news. Hoping it’s not career ending bad news. Just wish it would be resolved one way or the other so everyone, starting with the Staff and players, can move ahead.

www2.kusports.com/news/2017/nov/20/jayha...ithout-freshman-for/

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 4 months ago #14540 by NotOstertag
What really sucks is that it's cutting into practice time. Self says they're cutting about 30 minutes out of practice, which is giving EVERYBODY fewer reps. We can get away with that for a while as long as we're hosting cupcakes at Allen Fieldhouse. We will, however, at some point face better competition and or play road games against teams who are putting in a full docket of work right now.

2 other minor points:

1.) At this point, we all know that HCBS knows more about the situation than he's sharing, so I'm also assuming that he's planning for every contingency. Which leads me to my second point...

2.) He's not going to say anything or let US in on the process. Obviously there are confidentiality issues, and also HCBS doesn't want to show his cards publicly. Nevertheless, it leaves us all wondering just how dire the options are. I do feel that if Preston isn't cleared before the weekend, some additional tidbits will need to be leaked, which may or may not confirm some of the theories.

This officially sucks. We won't go far with a 7 man rotation, and the only relief I see is that Sam Cunliffe will be eligible in the 2nd semester, but a.) he's not a post player, and b.) it is as of now unclear how ready he is for prime time.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 4 months ago #14541 by HawkErrant
Without any solid source to back up my conjecture, to me it’s pretty clear that KU Compliance must be waiting for an NCAA ruling. Based on the early public expressions of insiders like Self and posts on Rivals from longtime trusted commenters with program connections, it seemed clear to me that no one involved in the process thought it would take an inordinate amount of time to resolve the question(s) and get Billy on the court. Logically the only thing that could be holding things up is waiting for an NCAA ruling — and we all know how timely and fair they are in such processes... which is, of course, our biggest worry.:angry:

Hopefully this will be settled this week. No new info, just expressing hope.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14543 by Wheatstate Gal
NCAA rulings.....

Where’s that “green ready to barf emoji” when you need him?

Or better yet....my multitude of apple “gesture” emojis!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 4 months ago #14547 by NotOstertag
The good news is if you look at the NCAA's record there's a decent chance they'll clear him. Unfortunately, if you use the UNC investigation as a benchmark for timeliness, he'll be 42 by the time they wrap up the investigation. :unsure:

I'm hoping this isn't another Cliff Alexander situation. I really wanted him to do well at KU and we know how that worked out.

More
6 years 4 months ago #14549 by CorpusJayhawk
Well if he is cleared to play by age 42 that still gives him three years of eligibility based on Perry Ellis's experience.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, gorillahawk

More
6 years 4 months ago #14551 by Bayhawk
Too funny! :silly:

RC

-- Jules Michelet

More
6 years 4 months ago #14557 by Hawknmo
Is it possible that this is a complete over reaction (rightly so with FBI investigations) so as to avoid a repeat or perceived repeat of last year's Josh Jackson car issue? Maybe it isn't an ownership issue as much as an insurance one? I have heard that his family situation is not all that financially dire so above board ownership might not be the problem. Regardless, it is odd. Hopefully it is being overdone to appease the NCAA and enyone else.

RKCKJHK!!!

• Senex68
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14567 by Senex68
The reality is that there nothing 'out there' about this situation. I find it remarkable that not a single credible 'rumor' is being bandied about. No teammates are talking. No administrators are talking. No news people are talking. Keeping secrets in our society is really hard, and I just find it remarkable that we still know nothing. To be honest, it bothers me a lot.

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, texkan