Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Any Updates on the Ongoing Saga of Billy Preston?

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #14571 by HawkErrant
I agree with you, Peter. In all the years I’ve been following KU men’s hoops and its issues I have never before encountered such preternatural quiet on an issue. Folks who do know anything at all seem to be solidly locked in on “loose lips sink ships”.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by HawkErrant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #14572 by JoJoHawk
Based on recent history, I too have a bad feeling about this. I think HCBS called out the NCAA after the Diallo debacle and I feel that for some reason said Dark Empire likes to stick it to him any chance they get. Moving forward Cunliffe will help some with adding a talented body to the rotation- hope he can rebound from the perimeter as well as LGV and MG. De Sousa added to the middle would be a God send but I understand his ability to play this season also needs NCAA approval - so forget that! Finally, the idea of adding a big body from Coach Beaty’s squad may not be a bad idea- could be announced after last game Saturday!?!?!?

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 4 months ago #14585 by HawkErrant
From kusports.com:
Kansas coach Bill Self had no news on withheld freshman Billy Preston, who missed his fifth consecutive game while KU’s compliance office attempts to sort out an issue involving a vehicle that he was driving in a one-car, noninjury accident on Nov. 11.

“There’s no new development,” Self said. “You know, holidays aren’t the best time to get a lot of development, so nothing’s happened since I last talked about it on Tuesday.

“And I’m sure nothing will happen over the weekend. We won’t be able to comment on anything maybe until Monday, but I doubt anything happens in the first four or five hours Monday. It’s not on our schedule, it’s on somebody else’s schedule.

Pretty indicative KU is awaiting an NCAA ruling.

There has been some twitter traffic stating that "talk on the street" is Preston won't play until January. No credible sources are even implied, so looks like stirring the pot. Might very well work out to be the case the tweeter is right, but at this point we just don't know and it seems clear Self doesn't either, or he'd be providing more info about what's up.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14593 by Senex68
Self knows. The other coaches know. Preston knows. His teammates know. That is what is amazing, that none of them have opened their mouths to anyone or WE would know. I am of the belief that Bill Belichick is involved somehow. Those who follow the Patriots KNOW how little slips out about the inner workings of the team. Not even an injury or an illness is fully described by anyone until long after it has resulted in the player either fully recovered or gone. And what I mean by 'know' is the issue, not the resolution.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
6 years 4 months ago #14597 by RobS
Surely by now some enterprising reporter would know where the accident took place and could have submitted a FOIA request to get the police log and learned where/when and also what type of car was involved.

Does anyone here know these details? This much info would seem to be releasable to the public, possibly with Preston's name redacted.

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 4 months ago #14598 by HawkErrant
Self knows what the issue(s) is, yes, and knows how he thinks it should be resolved. He does not know for certain what the resolution will actually be and when or if Preston will play.

More
6 years 4 months ago #14600 by mtnMan
It is sounding more and more like the Cliff Alexander situation. We didn't hear much about that and kept hoping for some resolution from the NCAA, which never came. As I remember the problem was his parents came into some money whose provenance was uncertain. Billy's mom seems to have come into some money, enough to buy him a very nice car (I read it was a $50K Range Rover but there are other stories) and the provenance of that money is unclear. The "accident" was trivial--a one-car event with no property damage other than to the tires. Not clear the police were even involved. But something in getting the tires attended to came to the attention of the compliance office who wondered how a freshman had such an expensive car. Here are my probabilities:

benign explanation and Preston played soon: 40%
something fishy for which Preston sits out until January or so: 40%
something big which excludes Preston from ever playing college ball: 20%

More
6 years 4 months ago #14605 by NotOstertag
I initially heard Range Rover, but then it was reported that there was a Charger in the players' lot with damage that looked consistent with hitting a curb. If somebody were to FOIL the report, it would just report the car, the driver and the nature of the accident. In any case, I think everyone agrees that it is a new car.

I also concur with the Cliff Alexander similarities. My percentages aren't as favorable as yours:

benign explanation and Preston played soon: 20%
something fishy for which Preston sits out until January or so: 40%
something big which excludes Preston from ever playing college ball: 40%

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• wardhawk
More
6 years 4 months ago #14607 by wardhawk
Do we know if Billy is still practicing with the team or not? Haven't gotten any indication from HCBS in his recent interviews.

Wardhawk

More
6 years 4 months ago #14608 by NotOstertag
I would imagine "yes" for 2 reasons:

1.) It's my understanding that there's no NCAA restriction on practicing. Even if he is eventually booted, it won't count against the team. As long as they're trying to work things out, they want him to get as many reps as he can to stay in shape and continue developing so he can step back into action if/when the case is resolved.

2.) The want good practices. Not only is KU light on bigs to play in games, they're light on guys to go against Dok and (to a lesser extent) Lightfoot in practice. Preston, even if he can't play, can contribute to helping his teammates get better.

One positive thing: when you see Preston on the sideline, he looks to be upbeat and engaged. If HE felt that he was going to be shown the door, it might appear in his body language.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14609 by Wheatstate Gal
I hope.

You gotta know that any college recruiter repeats “don’t take nuthin from nobody”.....similar to law enforcement reciting Miranda rights.

Makes you kinda wish billy is padding his GPA w fake classes aimed at student athletes yet open for all to enroll in, doesn’t it? ;-). Instead of wanting a nice set of wheels. Think I had a 1967 Ford LTD parked in the GSP parking lot my fresh year......and no, it wasn’t new! :-)

Ah, the olden days!!!!!

More
6 years 4 months ago #14610 by Slayer2384
I guess all I can do at this point is Trust HCBS. I am sure he has been as upfront as possible with the young lad and his parents.

Speaking of cars. I had a beat up Ford Pinto. Got me all through college and died a month after I started my first Professional Job out of college. It give it's life that I might succeed.

• wardhawk
More
6 years 4 months ago #14611 by wardhawk
Yeah I agree, good thinking NotO!!!

Wardhawk

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 4 months ago #14612 by HawkErrant
I have been reading that Billy is still practicing with the team and has a very positive mindset, which I would think we can consider a plus for him playing in the not *too* distant future.

Today Self reported no word on his status yet.

Self also indicated that if DeSousa does graduate and get cleared to play early he probably wouldn’t play until the Big 12 opener (at Texas Dec 29).

Wish I had more positives to report.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, murphyslaw

More
6 years 4 months ago #14613 by NotOstertag
I always made it a point to date girls who had cars. :whistle:

While I'm sure Billy has been told to turn away "gifts" it also extends to family and friends who could influence him. In the case of Cliff, it was his mom and it's not clear that he knew about it or had anything to do with it.

If Billy's mom got a gift from somebody that she trusted, and didn't think about it, it could still impact him.

Stinks but true.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 4 months ago #14620 by konza63
Obviously, like everyone else, my primary hope is we get the kid back at all this year. My initial expectations were positive, just based on Self's initial explanation (which made it seem like a very short-term waiting period), but with each succeeding game and no Fifth Beatle to be seen on the court, my worries have increased.

Here's my concern with the "returns to play Texas" scenario. For some odd reason, the Big 12 season is starting early this year. I know this to be true because every year I take the family back home for Christmas break, and we usually get to see KU stomp some patsy (although one year we beat a decent Cal Bears team) over the holiday break.

Normally, KU teams have not yet fully hit their stride by Christmas break, NOR have they had the full offense installed. Given our veteran presence, the latter isn't as big of a concern this season. And we certainly seem to be hitting on most if not all cylinders against the recent cupcakes. That being said, I'm a little worried that a) we're starting earlier than normal in our key season to break the all-time successive league championships record; b) we're doing so very short-handed; and c) that lack of depth could hurt us having to play Shaka's full allotment right out of the gate. I know it's looking WAY ahead, and this isn't an "overwhelming dread" type of concern, but a mild one. I guess I'm just really bummed that we're so short-handed (inside) and still know nothing about when or if that will be alleviated (both Billy and DeSousa).

First-World problems, I know, but still some mild concern here.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
6 years 4 months ago #14621 by mtnMan
First chilly day in a while here in the mountains, so I'm sitting inside (instead of biking or golfing) thinking of conspiracy theories. What if Preston's car turns out not to be legit and we would have had to forfeit all the games he had played in? The accident was minor and it is not even clear involved the police. Perhaps someone very near the core of the basketball program--maybe even a teammate--brought this issue to the attention of the compliance office to get it resolved before it became a huge problem. My conspiracy theory for the day...

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 4 months ago #14649 by HawkErrant
I've not seen the comments myself, but apparently Matt Scott (from The Shiver on Kansas.247Sports.com) is writing that we can expect to see Preston back soon. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, enjoy this while we're waiting to hear that this is the case... Rock Chalk!

(Konza63 and I were in The Phog for this! KU!)

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 4 months ago #14655 by HawkErrant
An update From Rumor Control Central (finally!) -- expect to see Preston in action for the Dec 6 game against the Washington Huskies at the Sprint Center.

Source: a poster on another site with a friend who "is a step sister with 2 former players and know [sic] big source on staff."

Info worth what you paid for it.

Hope it is good info nonetheless.

ROCK CHALK!

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk, jayhawk969

More
6 years 4 months ago #14665 by hairyhawk
The silence does not bother me. In fact I find it very impressive. What does bother me, and it is just a personal perception issue, is that I feel that if he played for UNC he would have been cleared the next day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, NotOstertag