Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Let the healing begin.

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #7306 by Bayhawk
The glowing embers of this board will die down to a grey lump of warm ash very soon. But I know most of you will check in now and then because we have crimson and blue in our veins. So let me try something here, please. With your indulgence and participation I respectfully request that all posters (AND LURKERS!!!) reply to this thread with one thing that made them happy/proud/amazed/etc. this season. Try not to repeat previous posts, but if you have the same sentiment as someone else, then by all means post it.

Sasnak started it this morning with thanking Dave and the mods (below):

I would start by saying I enjoyed the overtime wins (OK & KY) immensely.

Others?

RC
PS: If this thread takes-off, would one of the mop-top mods pin it for a while, please?

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 1 month ago #7307 by LKF_HAWK
Bay- too soon amigo! It was a wonderful season, the ending was cruel, and having the Hawks go down playing less than their best stinks. I'd prefer a blowout loss to the gut punch that was last night

More
8 years 1 month ago #7308 by wchawk
While I was personally frustrated at mid-year, and questioning what we were doing as a team, and what rotations we were using, I enjoyed seeing how Coach, and the team, turned it around. I felt our defense started getting us in the right place for success. Hey, we won a lot of games and had some great moments to enjoy. RC

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #7314 by HawkErrant
I thought this was one of the best coaching jobs Self did in his career. This team was perhaps the one that eventually became as tough as he wanted them to be. Frustrating before they finally figured things out on D, that metamorphosis was a wonderful thing to see in action.

Thanks for another great year, guys!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 1 month ago #7326 by Senex68
As much as I'd like to be upbeat today, or content with a great season, or 'healed,' for me the bottom line is the reasons we lost. They are clear to me, and they are the same reasons we always seem to lose these kinds of games. We choked. Horrible word, I know, but I am convinced it's accurate, and conveys the necessary pejorative 'essence' to fit the situation. When we lost to UK in 2012 in the title game, we lost to a better team. When we lost to Arizona we were hurt, badly. But this game, like the 'B' games we lost, and the Rhode Island game, and the UNI game, etc., we didn't execute because our guys appeared to be 'tight,' and consequently played poorly. Last night was a nightmare because we didn't play our game, and watching Self on the sidelines, I saw the same tension and angst. I think in some way his lack of success in these Elite 8 games is killing us, because he cannot transcend the stress and the insecurity, and the players are feeding off his tension. That may be the one element of Self's personality that keeps us from reaching our potential in the NCAA tournaments. It's HIS curse, and it is becoming ours. At this point I will not be a 'believer' until and unless I'm given reason to be, and that reason will be another title. The optimist is gone, replaced by a realist.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7327 by Wheatstate Gal
the last game of the season, win or lose, makes me sad because I'll never see THIS team take the floor as one again. I've had some ups and downs this year being a fan and I hope I've learned that I don't know JACK about coaching or playing basketball..and I need to keep my pie hole shut and let it play out. (Forgive me for offering up: letting the inmates run the asylum. Mama Mia! I cringe when I think of THAT one!)

And for as much as I'll miss KU hoops over the next 7+ months.....I am sad because I miss my RCB "family" even more. I lurk hoping for a tidbit.....and can barely wait for us to start up again.

I WILL look forward to more Konza and JR pics and experiences in Louisville AND I will enjoy more pics and stories from the Hoshi hoedown!

As brother bay said, the fire will die down soon...but our Rock Chalk chatter will rise like the Phoenix soon enough.

ROCK CHALK FOREVER MY FRIENDS. Keep the faith. I will!
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Wheatstate Gal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, JhawkMom

More
8 years 1 month ago #7338 by JoJoHawk
This has been one of my favorite seasons ever- watching the teams evolution and accomplishments has been a true joy! Highlights included the emergence of D’Te as a tough as nails player and personality for the team and the evolution of Landon Lucas as a solid big man- with great grasp of the fundamentals. I would love to see Landon develop a bit more quickness and vertical for next year. I enjoyed seeing the juniors and seniors lead this team to fulfill their potential. I think we had some flaws that exposed us in the post season tournament. I think that our rotation was a bit tight and short compared to some other teams in the tournament. This was the case for much of the latter half of the season and it took its toll in the end. I fear that all Frank did in the last month has been on pure guts- he is hurting. Wayne needs to continue to work on his horizontal game –that one between his ears. When he plays with legs and confidence he is a joy to watch. We had a very long season going back to last summer and last night it showed- we got beat by a fresher looking team that played GREAT defense (as in Scouting Report Defense).

Speaking of the long season, let’s be REALISTS and review our accomplishments: World University Games Champs, Maui Champs, Big 12 Regular Season Champs, Big 12 Postseason Tournament Champs, and Consensus No. 1 team in America at end of “Regular” season! Just because we lost in the 1 and done media crazed postseason does not diminish this season greatly for me- I think we hit our potential and at times may have slightly over achieved this year. Kudos to HCBS.

To elaborate a bit on the postseason: I guess HCBS should not have called out the NCAA publicly during the Diallo fiasco- conspiracy theorists may think it had something to do with our less than deserving of a No. 1 overall seed draw in their postseason money machine of a tournament. The NCAA ended up looking foolish and Diallo’s development was effectively derailed for the season- we’ll hopefully see his emphatic response to the situation next year! The last 2 years we have had some health issues- Perry’s knee and Brannon’s back- that may have held us back from a deeper level or 2 in this tourney. Hopefully that won’t be an issue next year.

To elaborate on next year: This team had no Super Stars on it- over the entire season the closest was Perry- what he did at the 4 with teams knowing we were limited offensively at the 5 – along with his development as a defender was simply an amazing testament to hard work! Next year I think that we have some great Star potential- Wayne, Devonte, Frank (healthy) and CB can all make that jump- but keep your eye on SVI!!!

ROCK CHALK

More
8 years 1 month ago #7341 by jayhawk969
About the time we lost 3 of 5 games I was convinced this was not our season. What a turnaround. I was really pleased to see team leadership develop from Traylor, Mason, Graham. An exceptional backcourt from two guards from the second tier of recruiting. And lets not forget the off the court achievements of this team. A kid from the back alleys of Chicago graduates and will have a very responsible life ahead of him. Perry Ellis leading the way as an academic all American.

Yes I am disappointed, however I would not trade places with any non-Jayhawk fan. And I will allow myself to slowly get psyched about next year. We will climb that ladder.

• sasnak
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #7343 by sasnak
I had a sense before this game it was over and it was still hard to watch. I don't have the expectation year after year of a NC but appreciate the journey. 2012 is the one (in recent years) that hurt the most, probably because of TRob.

It was fun watching this group figure it out. When they were loose, they were an absolute joy to watch.

If we keep Wayne, I think this could be an even better group next year. We watched Devonte and Landon catch fire .Let's get Frank and Bra healthy and see what the underclassman can do in 9 months

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

• wardhawk
More
8 years 1 month ago #7351 by wardhawk
I have been a faithful lurker here for years and an avid KU fan for most of my life. I am most thankful for having a winning culture with KU Basketball. Frankly I look forward to each season with positive energy because I know we will put a team on the court that is going to win 28 to 34 games. And I will only be disappointed 4-7 times. Personally I would much rather have a team that consistently win the vast majority of their games verses a team that plays 50/50 won/lost, and get to the elite eight once a decade. WE are truly blessed and I am thankful for this.

Wardhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, newtonhawk

• wardhawk
More
8 years 1 month ago #7352 by wardhawk
I have been a faithful lurker here for years and an avid KU fan for most of my life. I am most thankful for having a winning culture with KU Basketball. Frankly I look forward to each season with positive energy because I know we will put a team on the court that is going to win 28 to 34 games. And I will only be disappointed 4-7 times. Personally I would much rather have a team that consistently win the vast majority of their games verses a team that plays 50/50 won/lost, and get to the elite eight once a decade. WE are truly blessed and I am thankful for this. :)

Wardhawk

More
8 years 1 month ago #7353 by murphyslaw
Not having even a scintilla of inside knowledge, nor friends in high basketball places, nor ESP, I've just relied on my love of all things KU Jayhawks to brighten my life for years on end.

This was a season which ultimately provided us with 99% highs. How lucky we are! (How long 'til Late Night?)

More
8 years 1 month ago #7361 by JhawkMom
Too depressed to think. This team was the #! in the country. We know that!! I hope Oklahoma wins it all and we KNOW we beat them every time we played them. Hence, we are #1

I am mostly sad for Perry. And of course all the other seniors. We know these guys led the best team in the country and will never play in a KU shirt again. Wishing them all the very best heading off into their future. It WAS a wonderful year!!!

Plain and simple, these guys froze in the most important game of their lives :( Nothing else makes sense.

Now to keep busy in order to make time fly.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #7363 by HawkErrant
We love ya and are with you in spirit, Mom. Hang in there! :P

(And no, I'm not over it already, it's just you made me smile, and that's worth a lot today!) :)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: JhawkMom

More
8 years 1 month ago #7366 by Kuray58
I just hope there won't be too many negative posts on this board. Already hearing negative comments on coach and I guess if people want to go there, it is alright. In my opinion this was the best coaching year he has had at KU. I look at the team that started the year and the team on the floor that ended the year showed me how he could change. Anyway, one of the most enjoyable years of basketball for me in years. Looking forward to 2017 and 18.

More
8 years 1 month ago #7368 by LSHawk
Well said....

More
8 years 1 month ago #7369 by LSHawk
We need post season success and we need it now...

More
8 years 1 month ago #7370 by LasJayhawk
I'm glad that Landen seems to have upped his game.

I'm very glad we didn't lose to Syracuse.

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith

• texkan
  • Ring my Bell, if you can find it! ;)
More
8 years 1 month ago #7394 by texkan
I thought we overachieved and was so happy to see that happen. Especially after our early hiccup. We are very much hoping to see Diallo and Bragg return, they should be awesome to watch. Always sad to see our season end, whenever that is! Ive been following KU hoops since 1950, forget more players names, than i can remember at my age! :lol: But if we don't lose to many players, I think we can make another run like this season. :cheer: Nurse is still out there in the world, on her long retirement vacation travels. J e l l O shooters are always available to anyone passing through our ancient town. Until next time, BE SAFE, BE SMART, ROCKCHALK the JAYHAWK. thank you, texkan and family; and NURSE too! :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, sasnak, gorillahawk, jayhawk969

More
8 years 1 month ago #7400 by jammaman8647
I too have been a lurker for years. My love of KU began, yrs ago when my son graduated from HS in St of Washington, and choose to come live with me in Kansas and attend KU. He tried out and made the mens basketball pep band his freshman yr. He had a ring side seat for all the action, along with the woman’s pep band and KU marching band. As a part of all these events, there was some contact with coaching staff and players...whom voiced their support and enthusiasm for their efforts, He alway, came away from those events and moments with a fond, and meaningful belief in the qualities of our fantastic teams.

This season has been a great one for myself. I think our team, given the constant turnover of grads and exits to pro forums, is amazing. I was constantly concerned on the BB front, of our seemingly long lapses of not scoring, or a lower % of FT’s made vs attempts...we let teams off the hook, and allowed momentum to turn. Our fans and the “Barn” were the savior in many cases, in my mind at least. To many shooting lapses, vs consistency.

The tourney, took a toll on Frank in my mind, as the games proceeded, his body, seemed to be near the breaking point, only driven by desire, since the physical side seemed pounded. WS, agn, on the mark for periods, then almost missing in action other times. LL, whom I thought was a bust, proved to be a very important asset, and truly a force to be reckoned with. Check, unfortunately, forced to sit out by the seemingly ineffective and inconsistent NCAA. Regardless, another conference championship and big 12 tournament win...and a deep run into the NCCA tourney. All done in a professional and respective manor. A returning core of players, and new recruits, which will all but ensure another very good team next yr. And a coaching staff, I am proud of, as for National Championships; we’ve had some, will continue to earn more, and throughout it all, our team, will distinguish itself and KU in the world of class acts.

Thank you Kansas Jayhawks for all you’ve done, and for the classiest fans, and venue in the world of College Sports. RC!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, jayhawk969, Senex68, porthawk, Rosie19, newtonhawk