Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Let the healing begin.

More
8 years 1 month ago #7429 by Canahawk
In some way I have gotten used to coming short in the tourney. It was not nearly as frustrating as losing in the first two rounds. Having said that I do must say I am very disappointed perhaps more so as an overall no. 1 seed. I liked the team and had great hope. We had many experienced upper classmen. The team was deep and balanced too with multiple players contributing. I thought Villanova did not play a very outstanding game but we simply gave it away. The game looked closer than it really was if not for a few tough shots we made. We were behind most of the second half but I did not see much urgency in battling back. I thought the coaching could have been done a little better.

Till next year!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #7650 by Bayhawk
RCA&F

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #7652 by HawkErrant
I am not sure which of my compatriots at RCB Central pinned this thread, but 'twas not I.

I suggest leaving it pinned at least through the evening of April 6.
Let the NC be over with.
All the season awards should be announced.
Then we'll see if it's still needed anymore.

Thanks for the tickler, Bayhawk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7653 by konza63
It was I who pinned it (in the depressing wee hours of Sunday morning). Thought about unpinning it today, so with your blessing, yep, here she goes! :P

Thanks, Bay...and hope you're recovery is well underway, if not complete. You're a great presence on the Board, and much appreciated!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by konza63.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #7654 by HawkErrant
Your call, then, Konza! And thanks!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #7656 by konza63
I went ahead and pulled the pin. I think it served its purpose well, and even though some of us (ahem, LOL) are still debating others (and themselves, heehee) over tournament performance and what-not, I think we're well on our way to looking ahead.

The recruiting talk is heating up, so that's a good sign we're at least in stage 3 or 4 of the Kubler-Ross mourning paradigm. :blink: :unsure: :( :angry: :sick: :huh: :oops: ;) B)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #7658 by HawkErrant
I know Denial didn't last long
Anger was over fairly quickly, too.
I skipped right over Bargaining as it was a fait accompli.
Depression has been the pits and will probably rear its ugly head on occasion (especially if one of Cheaters, Inc, win it all -- might even end up back at anger in such a scenario), but
Acceptance will come as it does, in due course.

I can never remember the stages, but doing such an exercise always helps -- at least for a while... ;)

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7659 by konza63
Good stuff.

It's funny, I used to know them pretty well too, and even tried to make a stab at a notional progression with my emoticons. (You're a sharp tool, so I'm sure you caught that) ;)

As for a cheater winning it all, that wouldn't bring :( for me...instead, it would bring VISCERAL :angry: :angry: :angry:

So here's to Saturday's and Monday's aftermath leaving us very :cheer: B) :P ;)

Not as :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: as if our beloved Hawks had gone on to cut down the nets but still very B) :) ;)

Lastly, there's something about the natural progression of our mourning...and the ceaseless flow of time...and your "Acceptance..." thought that made my mind drift to this lovely little ditty (which I know you and perhaps others on here will appreciate):

I guess it's actually rather appropriate tonight (transitioning into tomorrow) as well...

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
8 years 1 month ago #7663 by JRhawk
They say time heals all - not sure it does in the case of KU's post season performance. When you go into the postseason as an average 2 seed (as HCBS has done over the 13 years at KU) and have one NC and one runner-up to show, it leaves me in fairly constant state of angst.. The Big 12 titles are nice, but would be a lot better if someone in our conference made a deep run or won the NC fairly often. The last two (and maybe more) years the Big 12 was rated the #1 conference. Last year's NCAA tourney performance was a bust - this year was better with OU in FF and KU in E-8. Even at that, as of now in this year's NCAA tourney, the Big 12 is 9-6, while the ACC is 18-5. Finally, with all the known and possible defections, unless several new recruits come on board, it may be a long next season.

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7665 by konza63
I hear that pain in your voice, my friend, and I feel the same thing.

But when I look at it from the "glass half full" side of the ledger, I realize that, among the other top-tier programs, Roy only has one more ring than Self, despite coaching 5 years longer than Self and being 12 years older than Bill. (Pray/pray/pray that this factoid holds after Monday night) Izzo? I think I've shined a bright light on that one, in the "Newell" thread tonight. Just looking at the years associated with Self's tenure at KU, he's clearly out-performed the "great" Tom Izzo (pejorative, just because, while I really like the guy, it's amazing the praise and passes he gets relative to Self).

I think (or hope) that, as Self gets longer in the tooth, he'll grow wiser, hopefully loosen the sphincter a bit, and his guys ON THE FLOOR will execute more effectively to cut down a few more nets. Honestly, save for someone like Brad Stevens with the Celtics, I look around and there's no one I'd rather us have here.

I'll just harken back to what I said in my "season-closing" note the other night:

My OVERALL, bottom-line takeaways from the above:

* As of right now, Self is a Top 10 (great) coach working at a Top 5 (elite) program.

He's getting enough opportunities to flirt with elite status, but he's failed to perform sufficiently in the tournament to break through that tough, elusive, yet critical door.

* Will he make it in the future? Are his best years ahead of him, much like Wooden, Smith, and Williams before him?

You'd like to think so, just from the "wisdom and experience" angle (i.e., learning from past mistakes, having the law of averages with respect to "breaks" and luck turning his way, etc.). But we can't say one way or another with complete foresight. All we can do is watch it all play out...and pray he's not the Bobby Cox (Braves) or Peyton Manning (Indy days) of college hoops.

Mario Chalmers' shot heard 'round the world (and Memphis's meltdown at the line) ensured that he's not the Marty Schottenheimer or Marv Levy of college hoops...but he's literally a hair away from being known as just that. He can and must do better if he wants to reach elite status (which we all, I think, believe is his true ceiling).

* Having said all of this, Big G is spot on, however, in underscoring the systemic benefits that Self has brought to our program and school...

This includes shining a bright light on our history (by amping up the museum and AFH, etc.)...ensuring connective tissue between the present and the past (bringing back the former coaches and players, keeping an open door for all Jayhawks, etc.)...overseeing facility and venue improvements...and representing our university with class, integrity, and dignity.

We have a fantastic ambassador, an exceptional human being, and a top 10 coach running our proud program quite ably. In future years, we can only hope that this will improve to "fantastic ambassador, top 5 elite coach, and Mount Rushmore Hall of Fame-bound great." Speaking just for me, I'm keeping the faith...

Hang in there, Brother JR! (PS: Spring is here...)

More
8 years 1 month ago #7674 by JRhawk
Thanks Konza - all good here. I had a longer reply written last night, but the board got me and although got back to my post, lost it when tried to insert an emoticon. Let me be clear, I am in way, shape, or form calling for dismissal of HCBS. In most cases, I believe he is a great coach (NCAA tourney and Stillwater notwithstanding), a great ambassador for KU, etc, etc. Many like to point out that KU compares favorably in this or that narrow set of circumstances. For me, KU is the premier basketball school - bar none. You know the litany of coaches - Naismith (inventor of the game), Allen (father of coaching and instrumental in starting the NCAA tourney in 1939), etc. KU has the ultimate home court advantage in AFH and have other great facilities and more to open soon.

So are my expectations high - you had better believe it. I was weaned on back to back FF's in 1952 and 1953, resulting in one NC and one 1 point loss in NC game. Then another 1 point NC game loss in 1957, featuring IMHO the greatest player ever, Wilt C.

There were many lean years in between, then the 1988 NC. Roy came close several times and had some great teams. Then HCBS did it again in 2008. Before the mass exodus began, I was very hopeful for next year - not so sure now. Will be fun seeing how it all falls out.

I have to tease at your closing, Konza. It may be Spring somewhere, but it has snowed about every day here since Mar 19th.:-)

More
8 years 1 month ago #7675 by Illhawk
This team had me at Korea. Though we had a period of " getting organized" in January this group came across as talented, experienced and cohesive.

One of the reasons this stunk so badly is that we seem to need a three or four year cycle to get a team like this, and then it's back to the Hawks texting in the second game of the NCAA as they " grow up."

I wasn't sure we had the athletes to win it all, but it just seemed that this group was Houston bound. I wanted it for this group. the four kids that walk down the hill say a lot about what is good about college sports. ( There are other places and times for elaborating on what is not good.) I will mention that losing to UNC would have been worse than this outcome.

The best part of the season for me was seeing two games. I saw Oregon State in KC, awful first half, with one group of friends I met in Lawrence a long time ago. Then I took in Senior Day with my best friend from KU . The game was too close for my liking but the weather incredible for early March. Food, drink, the Hawks win, life is good.

The worse part , as has been cover here a thousand times, was not losing to Nova, but how we lost. This talented, cohesive, experienced group played great for the start of the second half, beyond that not so much. Confronted with a well executed plan to deny Perry the ball for two-thirds of the game there seemed to be no plan B. We needed Korea Wayne or Kentucky Wayne and we got 0-6 Wayne. Some days you can't make an outside shot, that I get. But after a few misses maybe we pulled the bigs outside an try to clear the paint for another legendary dunk. The game was winnable. Everybody involved knows that and has the rest of their life to ponder what went awry. This summer I have a 40th high school class reunion. when football comes up it will not be the two-thirds of our games that we won that are discussed.

In light of recent announcements I have decided that I will not criticize any kid who leaves after three seasons and not criticize any departure who is drafted in the first round. Larry Brown used to say "kids go to college to develop earning power." My comments on the exodus are: I hope Waynes's last game didn't hurt his draft stock. In a way he probably was in the 2nd round, with a glimmer of hope of moving up. That and carrying the team in it's biggest game in years was a lot of pressure. Good luck and thank you sir.

Mr Greene, the first temptation is to say addition by subtraction. Whatever kept him from fully utilizing his magnificent shot may be fixable, but probably not in Lawrence. There are worse fates than being a young man in Barcelona with a few euros to spend.
Mr Diallo will finally be free. Cliff has clung to an NBA roster this season, so there is hope.

We have three starters returning, and reason for optimism that the young fast twitch muscles to go with them will be signing soon. Maybe we exchange age for athleticism and next year we kick the damn door down!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, JRhawk

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #7680 by konza63
This is a gem of a post, Illhawk. Thanks for taking the time to craft it. I really enjoyed it, and all of your posts this season.

Be well...

More
8 years 1 month ago #7684 by newtonhawk
What another great season! I will admit my angst amidst the slump. If my memory serves me correctly, I recall a statement that HCBS made a few games into the streak something to the effect that he was encouraging his players to pleasure the moment rather than be paralyzed by it when it came to game-time and pressure situations. I believe that mentality, along with a few other factors helped loosen the team to play up to and maybe even beyond their potential. It really provided for some inspired play and enjoyable watching for us fans. Unfortunately, as has already been noted by others above, that theme became latent in their last game. Perhaps crossing the threshold to the Final Four got into their heads too much to bring back that paralysis. It was difficult to watch, for sure, but I am proud of the team and proud to be a Jayhawk.

All in all, I am glad I was able to enjoy the season with this board, who has some amazing fans! Thanks for the camaraderie!

After this year, I will mostly miss Perry Ellis and Bob Davis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #7770 by Bayhawk
:unsure:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7771 by konza63
Obviously it stings a bit to know that the one team that got in our way on the path to the NC game turned out to be the ultimate champion. It also stings that the Committee put them in our region (as the overall 1 seed) as a 2. Perhaps that was payback for Self critiquing the NCAA so loudly on the Diallo knuckle-dragging at the beginning of the season? We'll never know, but KU shouldn't have sniffed Nova until at least a FF game. Water under the bridge, sour grapes, yadda yadda yadda.

As for the bright side, given that KU was bounced from the tourney 9 days prior to the NC game last night, my personal, recalibrated goals and hopes were for Nova to beat UNC. The reasons were simple:

* UNC systematically cheated in academics for 18+ years, gained two additional NC crowns with ineligible players while doing so, and was somehow still playing in this tourney. (WRONG on all levels) On any ethical plane and with any sense of karma in mind, they had to go down. Super pleased that they did so.

* UNC is stuck on 5 championships today instead of increasing that to 6. It may not seem like much, but KU only has 3 in its long, illustrious history. So we are only 2 behind them (and Duke, Indiana to boot--also with 5). That keeps us in striking distance, which I like. A 6th would have allowed them to "double up" over KU, and would likely mean no chance of KU catching them on that score in my or many of our lifetimes. More broadly, the reason this matters has been stated before: NC crowns are the sole blemish or hole in an otherwise impeccable historical record for KU. We are an elite blueblood in every sense of the term with the exception of NC crowns. The UNC defeat, however, keeps us in the mix, and I like Self's chances of getting us another one sometime in the next 5 years.

* If someone was going to win it outside of KU, given who was left standing before Saturday night, I would have taken OU or Nova over Syracuse (for obvious reasons, as a KU fan) or UNC (see above). OU got throttled in the most lopsided defeat in FF history, so that left Villanova. They're a proud program with a solid coach who personally had yet to earn a ring, so it has a feel-good angle to it. Again, if KU wasn't to be there, then Villanova was not a bad outcome. Congrats to them and a major hat tip to both Wright for phenomenal coaching and teaching and to their players for sterling execution and fight on both ends of the floor. They played like true champions throughout the whole tourney, and beat some solid teams to get to the promised land.

This is why I'm a thousand times happier for the outcome today than I would've been if it had gone otherwise last night. And while we can't know it to be true, if Jenkins misses that shot and it goes to OT, all of the momentum would've been with UNC after the ridiculous make by Paige (just like it was with KU after Chalmers' shot in regulation). Nova didn't just dodge a bullet--they caught it in their teeth and spit it back out with authority. Gotta hand it to them.

Onward and upward.

Rock Chalk...

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #7773 by Wheatstate Gal
Only respective to UNC LOSING.

I got nuthin really against Nova....always liked the Cinderella win under Rollie last century.

Our region was tough....and the eventual champ proved that.

Winners never cheat and cheaters never win.

BTW ....Mom Unit said nothing. She has plumbing problems so she's moved on to counting the days to Late Night!!!!! Even SHE was dumbfounded by the OU game.

More
8 years 1 month ago #7775 by Riverhawk
Bless your heart, Konza! Within striking distance of 5 titles? With his emphasis on the regular season and a couple of other issues, I'm not at all sure Self is going to win one more, much less two. And to answer the predictable response someone is sure to throw out, no I don't want another coach. I admire your optimism, though.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #7778 by HawkErrant
Only thing I would add (delving deep into the world of conspiracy theory similar to your having the NCAA punishing Self for his Diallo diatribes) is OU AD Joe Castiglione being the Selection Committee chair.

1. No other Big 12 teams in KU's region (KU could beat them all)
2. KU, instead of fellow 1 seed Virginia, was placed in the South region (um, "ol' Viginny" not in the South when it was possible?) instead of in its more natural midwest setting in Chicago. Would have set up a possible KU v Michigan State regional final.
2. The #1 2 seed -- who was a (the?) top Kenpom program going into the tournament selection, and really should have been a 1 over either Oregon or Virginia, take your pick -- was placed in the same region as the overall 1 seed, when historically it should have been paired with the weakest 1 seed and the weakest 2 seed should have been paired against the strongest 1 -- the old "S" curve (see below). If Michigan State could have the chance to play what would practically amount to home games in Chicago if it made its regional, why couldn't Villanova have that same chance to play its regionals in Philadelphia?
3. OU was paired with arguably the weakest 1 seed in its region with Oregon.
4. OU and KU were potentially paired for the FF , but not the NC. Upside for OU - beat KU and go on to title game. Downside for OU -- if lose, at least it was not for all the marbles.
5. WVU was placed opposite the bracket from OU, so OU could only meet them if it was for all the marbles.

Yeah, yeah, I know, even if Castiglione went in with such ideas, it would be too hard for him to work it out with the others to get what he really wanted -- KU possibly gone by Nova (or even earlier if UConn had another of its "playing out of its mind" tournaments) and a possible chance to beat the Nova squad that OU had pummelled earlier in the season.

Well, you got it, Joe. How's that taste in your mouth these days?

I'm feeling much better these past 24 hours -- antibiotics for my illness (I'll be fine ;) ) and an encore performance by Cryin' Roy (this time accompanied by his tar baby boys) to close out the season.
Seems all too familiar, doesn't it?
Taking off my tinfoil cap now...
How the so-called S curve is supposed to work
SEED   Rg1    Rg2    Rg3    Rg4
1      1.1    1.2    1.3    1.4
2      2.4    2.3    2.2    2.1
3      3.1    3.2    3.3    3.4   
4      4.4    4.3    4.2    4.1
5      5.1    5.2    5.3    5.4   
6      6.4    6.3    6.2    6.1
7      7.1    7.2    7.3    7.4   
8      8.4    8.3    8.2    8.1
9      9.1    9.2    9.3    9.4   
10    10.4   10.3   10.2   10.1
11    11.1   11.2   11.3   11.4
12    12.4   12.3   12.2   12.1
13    13.1   13.2   13.3   13.4
14    14.4   14.3   14.2   14.1
15    15.1   15.2   15.3   15.4
16    16.4   16.3   16.2   16.1
The current POD system was enacted to try to keep the higher seeded teams closer
to home in the early rounds without totally wrecking the "S" curve.  Even with the pods, 
sometimes somethings have to be moved around on the "S" curve for a "better fit".  
That reasoning is pure BS IMO.  Like questionable (to keep it polite) seeding, 
that reasoning is just an excuse to set up "interesting" possible matchups such as 
Wichita State v KU and IU v Kenyucky.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #7779 by HawkErrant
River --

;) :P KU!

(I really am smiling as I post this, River, I really am! Just teasin', and I always appreciate being given the chance to call upon Oddball.)