Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Site Feedback

Use this forum for questions, comments, suggestions, complaints, bug reports, requested features about Rockchalk.com.

More private messages (email or PM) for Dave can be sent through his profile.

Flat, Threaded, or Indented view

Poll: Which view do you use?

Flat
1 14.3%
Indented
2 28.6%
Threaded
4 57.1%
Total number of voters: 7
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Sieverling
  • Sieverling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 4 months ago #407 by Sieverling
Which do you prefer? This would help me out.

Hic manebimus optime

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #963 by boulderhawk
Which was the kind that you had on the former politics board, Dave? I liked it, but never could get used to the one used on the basketball board.
More
8 years 3 months ago #991 by Kong
I think the closest you can get here is threaded. It will look familiar once you get into a topic, but not at the forum level.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk
  • Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 3 months ago #996 by Sieverling
Kong is right about the forum-level. Not many board systems show all the messages on one page anymore. Pretty big drag on system resources.

I can't remember how I had each forum set up on the old system. I thought the only difference was that on the bb board, threads got bumped to the top with each new reply. That's what this one does as well. Did the politics board just sort the threads by start date?

Hic manebimus optime
More
8 years 3 months ago #998 by JhawkMom
I miss the old format. We were able to post during the games with scores and groans. It was easier to see the posts under a new topic. It seems this setup takes up so much space for a topic.
More
8 years 3 months ago #1174 by porthawk
Dave...so yes, on the bball board, threads got bumped to the top with each new reply. On the politics board, you would just see the original topic/post...until you clicked on it. Once you clicked on it, you could see all the messages under that topic (the threaded view).
More
8 years 3 months ago #1175 by porthawk

Sieverling wrote: Kong is right about the forum-level. Not many board systems show all the messages on one page anymore. Pretty big drag on system resources.

I, too, liked see all the bball messages threaded on the same page. This explanation from you help explains why that's not the case.

Also, in the threaded view (the "tree"), is there a way to set it to see what posts have NOT been viewed? (e.g. the green superscript or the flag on the old board).

And lastly, will you be able to bring over the content from the other board? That's a "just out of curiosity"

Many thanks to you for taking the time to keep us Jayhawk fans connected!
  • Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 3 months ago #1177 by Sieverling
ah, ok. Thanks.

Hic manebimus optime
More
8 years 3 months ago #1276 by asteroid
Whichever offers the widest message display area, if there is any difference. Otherwise threaded.
  • HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 3 months ago #1286 by HawkErrant
Dave, FWIW -- As I play around with the different views, I'm finding I prefer the flat view. I don't like the way the threaded view works with this platform.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"