Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Movement in the top All Time Winningest Programs this year

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #30052 by HawkErrant
Those of you who follow the pinned thread that I update every weekend know that I recently expanded it to the Top 10 (all with 1900 or more wins as of this season) because that way it included all but one of the programs that have won 4 or more NCAA titles. The exception, of course, is UConn. Despite having played as long or longer than all but 4 of the Top 10, the Huskies really only became a player -- and a very huge one -- under Jim Calhoun. UConn has yet to reach 1800 wins, but could get there this season. As I write this they are at 15-2 for AY2022-23 and 1784-1006 overall (as of 2023-01-08), needing 16 more wins for 31 total this year to reach 1800.

But enough about UConn.

I bring up the ATWP topic here because although KANSAS is slowly but steadily pulling away from the rest of the top 5 -- and may they continue to do so -- there is significant action happening at the bottom half of the Top 10.

Here is what the Top 10, plus some others of interest, looked like after last season.

Top 10 & Selected Other All Time Winningest Programs Records After AY 2021-22
Rank/Team	Seas1	Years†	Won	Lost	Tied#	W%	NCAA
1  Kansas	1899	124	2357	 877	0	0.729	4
2  Kentucky	1903	119	2353	 736	1	0.761	8
3  N Carolina 	1911	112	2323	 839	0	0.735	6
4  Duke		1906	117	2246	 911	0	0.711	5
5  Temple	1895	126	1961	1121	0	0.636	0
6  Syracuse*-V	1901	121	1956	 949	0	0.673	1     
7  UCLA		1920	103	1955	 882	0	0.689	11
8  Notre Dame	1897	119	1939	1068	2	0.644	0
9  St John’s 	1908	115	1904	1070	0	0.640	0
10 Indiana	1901	122	1890	1090	0	0.634	5
11 Arizona	1905	117	1884	 970	1	0.660	1
25 Princeton	1901	121	1783	1111	0	0.616	0
27 Connecticut	1901	119	1769	1004	0	0.638	4

*NCAA official W-L record, without the 101 wins vacated in 2015 for NCAA violations.
With those wins, the Orange would be in 5th place ahead of Temple as only the 5th 
program so far to reach 2000 Wins.
5 Syracuse wV			2057	949	0	0.684	1

† Seasons played (“Years”) do not always equal last season - first season because in 
the past some schools dropped programs for one or more seasons for a variety of 
reasons (usually related to war time issues, finances, NCAA punishment in the case
of UK for AY1952-53, etc.).
So, other than KU slowly pulling away from the field, here's where the other action is so far this year.

First you will note in the above table that UCLA started this season one (1) game behind Syracuse and six (6) behind Temple.

UCLA has already passed Syracuse this season, and is just one (1) game behind Temple after this weekend.
Rank/Team	ATW	ATL	ATW%	Won	Lost	W%
5 Temple	1970	1129	0.636	9	8	0.529
6 UCLA		1969	 884	0.690	14	2	0.875
7 Syracuse -V	1966	 955	0.673	10	6	0.625
Given the way their respective seasons are going, I will be not be at all surprised if UCLA ties or passes Temple for 5th place by next Sunday's update. The Bruins play Utah and Colorado this coming week, tough opposition, but winnable games. Temple plays Tulsa (the Owls should win) and Memphis (eh, I'm thinking not).

The second potential point of passage comes with #10 Indiana and #11 Arizona. You will note that UA started this season just 6 games behind my Hoosiers.
Rank/Team	Seas1	Years†	Won	Lost	Tied#	W%
10 Indiana	1901	122	1890	1090	0	0.634
11 Arizona	1905	117	1884	 970	1	0.660

As I write this the Wildcats are just two (2) games behind Indiana.
Rank/Team	ATW	ATL	ATW%	Won	Lost	W%
10 Indiana	1900	1095	0.634	10	5	0.667
11 Arizona	1898	 972	0.661	14	2	0.875

IU started the season well, reeling off 7 straight wins, including wins vs Xavier and North Carolina, but is just 3-5 over it's last 8 games. The Hoosiers only wins in that 8 game span were all at home against Nebraska, Elon and Kennesaw State. They are currently 1-3 in B1G play, and it does not bode well for them to do much better. Hope I am wrong.

Meanwhile UA is kicking butt and taking names in the Pac-12. I fully expect they will pass IU for 10th place sooner rather than later this month.

A sad reminder of how far Indiana has fallen from the glory days of Branch McCracken (who earned both his NCAA championships against our Phog Allen's Jayhawks in 1940 and 1953) and Bobby Knight (1971-2000) and his three titles.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, Bayhawk, Socalhawk, KMT, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
1 year 3 months ago #30053 by Socalhawk
HE, thank you for this. I enjoy following this, particularly, so, when we are in first place. When Larry Brown took over we were 83 behind Kentucky, It climbed to 90 after his first season. Since that year (1984) we have been pretty steadily gaining, what a run we are on.

Brown gained 13 games in 5 years.
Williams gained 22 in 15 years and also passed UNC for second place - quite ironic.
Self has gained 48 in 19 years and counting.

We have covered this before but on the eve of the CFP championship I’ll address again.
KU has six national titles ( the frame on my wall has six team photos) and we should only talk about six ( and counting) not four.

Alabama has 16 football titles with 6 being BCS/CFP. The tee shirts they wear show 16, not 6.
Oklahoma - 6 and Nebraska - 5, claim national titles yet OU has one BCS/CFP title. NU has none but they do not claim zero.
To me there is no issue with Yale claiming 18, Princeton 15, Norte Dame 13 and Harvard 8, yet there are no BCS/CFP titles among them.

Thank you again for this and all you provide this board.
RCJGKU
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
1 year 3 months ago #30054 by Bayhawk
Socal, let us see a picture of that framed six photos!!! :cheer:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 3 months ago #30055 by HawkErrant

Bayhawk wrote: Socal, let us see a picture of that framed six photos!!! :cheer:

RC

I second that request!

:cheer:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
1 year 3 months ago #30056 by Socalhawk
I am having a challenge reducing the size of the photo so the site will accept.

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 3 months ago #30059 by HawkErrant

Socalhawk wrote: I am having a challenge reducing the size of the photo so the site will accept.

Since we can't directly load images to the board, you have to link to a web source. I assume that whatever URL you are trying to post, you are trying to use the Image Link on the top menu? If so, you should be able to adjust the Size from 20-1000 when you paste in the URL.

If not...
Are you using Imgur to upload the image to the internet, and then trying to copy and paste the IMGUR link?

If so, and you are using your phone or tablet, don't. If you have a desktop or laptop or notebook (anything but a tablet or smart phone), you can access Imgur through your browser, which will give you tons of options for posting a link that just don't show up in the Imgur app (at least I have not been able to find them). Use the 'BB" option available in the web browser version and you can just copy and paste that link directly into your RCB post without using the Image Link function.

If the pic is still coming across as too big, you can edit it in Imgur to resize it.

If nothing else works, email it to yourself first. Most email apps force you to pick an image size. You can them use the sent version to post to the RCB.

It has always worked for me.

If not, PM me to discuss other options.

Good luck

More
1 year 3 months ago #30061 by LKF_HAWK
It is a travesty that a Branch McCraken with 1/10000000 of the historical relevance as Coach Allen has two titles. Coach knight is a bully and a psychophant, nothing to do with his basketball acumen, but so many others deserved a title. I hope IU relishes in BB purgatory until the world ends. They have given 0 to the game, and Imho, IU is a bunch of leaches.

More
1 year 3 months ago #30064 by USAF Jayhawk

Socalhawk wrote: KU has six national titles ( the frame on my wall has six team photos) and we should only talk about six ( and counting) not four.

Alabama has 16 football titles with 6 being BCS/CFP. The tee shirts they wear show 16, not 6.
Oklahoma - 6 and Nebraska - 5, claim national titles yet OU has one BCS/CFP title. NU has none but they do not claim zero.
To me there is no issue with Yale claiming 18, Princeton 15, Norte Dame 13 and Harvard 8, yet there are no BCS/CFP titles among them.

Titles that were voted into place (AP, UPI, etc) I have no issue with. I feel awkward claiming the Helms "Foundation" titles because the "Foundation" was one guy's (Bill Schroeder) opinion. I won't tell folks they're wrong, but for myself I count 4.

More
1 year 3 months ago #30066 by NotOstertag

Socalhawk wrote: I am having a challenge reducing the size of the photo so the site will accept.

Maybe if we had fewer championships, the image file would be small enough to fit.

That's K-State's strategy anyway.....:D

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 2 months ago #30350 by HawkErrant

Got your email today. I loaded the image into my imgur.com account and Voilà!, Bob's yer uncle and/or Whoop! There it is!
(your choice ;) )

The following user(s) said Thank You: Socalhawk

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 2 months ago #30351 by HawkErrant
SoCal, here is the better perspective you sent, just found it.

Top row, L-R: 1922 team, 1923 team, 1952 team
Bottom row: 1988 team, 2008 team, 2022 team

1922 back row are two future HOF coaches, Dr. Allen (coach) and Adolph Rupp (player)

1923 you can spot Rupp in the top left, top row position.
Drs Allen and Naismith are in the center of the 1923 pic.

Dean Smith is bottom row, 3rd from right in the 1952 pic.

College basketball royalty and history on display!

ROCK CHALK! JAYHAWK! K U!

The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1