Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Corrected Kansas v Missouri record

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 4 months ago #29917 by HawkErrant
Bottom Line Up Front, here is what I have determined to be the correct record BEFORE Saturday's game...

The current record after Saturday's win makes the totals 175-95, with another win in Columbia making the KU record there
66-55

CONTEXT
In conjunction with last Saturday's game in Columbia I noticed that the numbers being reported for the series history did not match up with those in my pregame post in the pinned Schedule & Results thread. By game time I had determined two things: (1) that the numbers I used (taken from the Wikipedia KU v MU Border War page... duh!) did not match up with the KU Communications pre GAME NOTES, and (2) based on the KU Media Guide for AY2021-22, the KU Comms GAME NOTES data also appeared to be incorrect! So I have investigated (as recorded in the edit update to the KU v MU game post ) and here are -- as best as I can determine from scrubbing 4 different data sets (KU Media Guide, Sports-Reference.com, Wikipedia Border War page and a data set graciously provided me by CorpusJayhawk, which he states is based on past KU Media Guide data) and researching other sources to try to resolve conflicts that arose -- the correct numbers that should have been reported before last Saturday's game.

ANALYSIS
Caveat - Without access to the actual data sources used by Kansas Communications for comparison to the scrubbed records this analysis cannot be as precise as it otherwise would be.

1. Comparison of Road Losses vs Neutral Losses indicates two KC Neutral Losses were inadvertently counted as Road Losses.
The scrubbed records HISTORY table above provides the details supporting this analysis. As noted in the caveat,
I cannot be determine which specific games were involved in the error.
2. The breakout of the KANSAS record in Lawrence shows that one AFH win was incorrectly recorded as a Road Win.
See caveat.
3. After adjustments for 1 & 2 there is still an additional Road Win in Columbia - clearly coming from before play in Mizzou Arena - showing up in the KUCOMM reported #s.
67 RW Reported – RW to HW in (2) = 66 RW, still one more than the 65 recorded in the scrubbed data set.
This is apparently the source of the extra win KUCOMM reported before the game.

I cannot help but wonder if the 2017 charity game win got into the mix somehow?

Nerd stuff, documenting it here FTR and FYI. Writing to KU Communications regarding it for their future use if they deem it worthy.

Hope all are having a great December and holiday season!

Rock Chalk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.