Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Time to Clean House

• LKF_HAWK
  • LKF_HAWK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #26763 by LKF_HAWK
What and utter disgrace that performance was tonight. HCBS has underperformed in delivering results in March, which is how what Kansas Basketball is judged on, and when you don’t have a string of FF’s, 1 championship in 18 years and countless tournaments that end short of expectations, those are not $52M worth of results. We are KANSAS, we should not accept winning in the regular season only, March is how a program is judged and freaking UCONN has more NCAA titles in a span of 10 years than Kansas all time. Nova has 2 titles in 3 years and is in the S16, UNC has 3 titles, 5 FF’s, Michigan State a pile of FF’s, UK has 1 title and a 4 or 5 FFs. These is where as fan base we should the program to be..

We all know what it is...get a decision and take your medicine KU athletics..these next few years may be a dark period in KU BB history but I’ll take missing a few tournaments and less big 12 titles if It means more FF’s and NCAA Tourney titles and Kansas fielding the more talented team on the BB court..
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by LKF_HAWK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26768 by DocBlues
I want to be certain about your post. Is your call to 'clean house' a call to fire the coach?

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26770 by NotOstertag
I don't think Self's the problem at all. Maybe we should put a "wanted, HOF basketball coach" ad on Craigslist and see who we get, but I don't think we'll do any better.

I do think we're in for a bumpy ride, however.

With the NCAA investigation still looming and now no AD in place, things are going to be in flux. So far, Self has appeared to be ready to go to the mat with the NCAA and fight the charges. Long supported that decision, but now Long is gone and there's a vacancy. If the new AD doesn't want to stir the pot with the NCAA and would rather we surrender to their whims, we could get hit with any number of sanctions. If anything, the new AD coming in is the most uncertain thing that Self should be worrying about.

Bottom line, this was never a championship caliber team. Everyone knew that. It was also a screwy season that favored teams with lots of experience over teams that tend to develop OAD talent quickly.

It's over. Onto next year.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, rainyhawk, DocBlues

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26772 by hairyhawk
I would add that just last year we had the probable favorite though how it would have gone we don't know. The Hawks this year really needed a player than could get their own shot and make it. There are a lot of teams that are looking for those players so it is not easy. I hope we can continue to enjoy the hawks play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, DocBlues

• LKF_HAWK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26773 by LKF_HAWK
Doc and Hairy:

Remember these are my opinions only..

The new AD needs to take a hard look at the entire department including HCBS.

As for March performance, I am not saying NC’s every year, but expectations are you make regular deep runs to the FF. KU wants to be looked at with UnC, UK, Duke, then look at March. The numbers say KU has underperformed in March. Paying a coach $52M comes with the expectation that you don’t go 3-5 in EE’s (losing 4 times as a 1 seed), have 2 first round losses, and 5 rd of 32 losses (incl 1 seed, twice as a 2 seed) . No doubt he is a HOF’er coach and has been a model of consistency in the regular season. However, his teams on the balance underperform in March. Last night was a historic embarrassment to the Kansas Basketball, and the talent gap was glaring. Even if USC shot 0% from 3 they win by 2 pts. As for everyone saying KU gets to FF last year we know how it goes, thought the same in 2017 playing in KC, that Oregon team did the same thing to KU they had better athletes at both guard spots and at the 5 spot.

This brings me to why I think HCBS job status is fair game. The talent gap, HCBS acknowledged last night and earlier in the year is a direct result of the NCAA investigation and its impact on recruiting. If HCBS knew what was going on with the shoe companies and recruiting he should have to answer for it and his job should be at risk. Even if HCBS was not aware of the dealings, he is still HC and he needs to answer for his Asst HC actions.

I, like all, want the program to get past this storm. Kansas basketball is bigger than any one person, so IF KU is found to have violated the rules then take the medicine and get certainty back. But as I still think the incoming AD should do a full 360 review and make a decision based on results of the investigation.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26776 by NotOstertag
Good point about last year's team being the undisputed favorite. How 'bout those bluebloods this year? Of those teams you mentioned, only UNC made the dance and they were 8 seed who lost to a 9 in round 1. In fact, it's not the first time that those other blue blood programs have failed miserably during the Self era. Remember that UK team that got bounced in round 1 of the NIT after being projected to go 31-0 in the preseason? We haven't missed the tournament once in Self's era and we've gotten bounced in round 1 twice. Duke has one miss and 3 1st round exits. Carolina has a missed tournament too. UK has 3 missed tournaments.

Not saying that the pending investigation won't bring new information into the mix, but firing Self based on current performance is absurd at this juncture.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, rainyhawk, DocBlues, murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26778 by HawkErrant
While I understand and empathize with wanting more NCs and FFs, I have only to look 200 miles to the north in Lincoln NE to see the foolishness of firing a high quality winning coach solely because he has not delivered on those titles. So unless you can guarantee me that Jay Wright us coming through those doors to take over, I’m voting for keeping Self.

I am not against shaking up the coaching staff, especially if it can be shown that Kurtis actually did something wrong as opposed to simply discussing that a recruit THAT THE NCAA QUICKLY CLEARED TO PLAY FOR SOMEONE ELSE was asking for $$$ plus other stuff.

As to shoe companies being boosters... yeah, go ahead and formalize that can of worms.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk, rainyhawk

• LKF_HAWK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26782 by LKF_HAWK
We all know there are no guarantees in the tournament. Anyone who says KU would have likely won last year against the field is not making the best bet. KU did lose 3 times, was on a 16 game winning streak so odds were KU was statically due for a L. We have seen enough times when Kansas has bowed out prematurely as a 1 seed.

Nebraska made some bad choices and then decided they wanted to go play in the B10..
Indiana is another cautionary tale as is UCLA after Lavin and Wooden.. risk/reward is always part of the calculus.

Put the investigation aside for a moment, how many Big 12 championships and/or missed NCAAT’s would be acceptable to KU fans if the trade off was 2-3 more trips to the FF and 1 more national title in the last 18 years. This put Self at 2 titles and 5-6 FF’s. Our former coach had 3 titles and 5 FF’s, whole lot less conference titles and yes they have missed the tourney once, but NCAA Title and FF banners and rings make up for that.

As impressive as KU has been in the regular season, league play and winning, I prefer to see KU do better in March commiserate with its Blue Blood pedigree and comparable to its peers. I think the KU job would attract some top candidates

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #26785 by konza63
Just for grins, since most RCBers may soon check out given KU's departure, why don't we collectively and objectively just explore what kind of coaching talent out there might presumably be in the mix should we ever need to address it.*

* (Note, this is strictly and purely as a hypothetical scenario in which Coach Self were to leave - which I believe is a distinctly remote possibility and likely only comes into play if the Infractions Referral Committee's conclusions are more personally damning than what we can imagine)

---

If we were to do so, I think we have to ensure that we first account for age (since we would doubtfully choose anyone much older than Bill - so there would be long-term stability). And I think we also need to be realistic and take out of contention those who are deeply ensconced in their programs and happen to just love it where they are.

With that in mind, I would submit that the following clearly would not be part of the list: Izzo (older than Self and loves Sparty), Jay Wright (loves Philly and is Self's age), Coach K (duh), Williams (duh), Cal (yuck, and Self's age), and Mark Few (he *is* Gonzaga, and loves the Pacific Northwest).

So, given that, I would ask: Who out there is as solid and steady as Self, or has his relatively assured similar winning pedigree upside?

And that is not a rhetorical question. I'll withhold taking a stab at answering it personally for now and let others weigh in first, owing to the wisdom of this crowd.

Let's give it an objective shot, see what the data reveals, and then discuss how palatable such options would really be. And again, this is purely hypothetical - if things go to hell in a hand basket or an LKF_HAWK gets the AD job). A black swan scenario, if you will, just to judge the state of comparative coaching talent that is out there and perhaps gettable in such an instance.

PS: Corpus, if you care to weigh in, you might even throw in some statistical W-L backing for your notional Top 5/10 if the worst did happen and we had a vacancy...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, Bayhawk, porthawk

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26788 by hairyhawk
If I were looking for a coach. Someone I thunk may be a candidate is Anthony Grant. I do not know if he has been in the seat long enough to qualify but he has done well.

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26789 by HawkErrant
Konza, I like your idea, but I'm going to wait to see if Corpus has any data for us. I know that when Roy left in 2003 I was up in the air about who to hire, had no idea about the field, and have been pleased with the results of that hire.

In the interim, I will copy here the results of this post verbatim, as it fits here perhaps even better than it does in its original thread...

The NCAA Tournament, which our beloved Phog Allen helped to found, was first played in 1939.

Phog had the chance to make 18 of them from 1939 through 1956, his last season at the helm. The field was much smaller then and thus much harder to make, and Phog only got his Jayhawks into 4 of them. During that period he had 16 years of overall winning records, but just 12 years of conference winning records. His teams finished first 9 times, 2nd twice, 3rd 3 times, 5th twice and 6th twice. If those seasons were played during the last 18 years instead of 1939-56, he would most likely have made the NCAAT 11, possibly as many as 14 times.

Instead Phog made just 4 trips in 18 years, 3 times made the Final Four (only required 1 win in 1940) and won it all (winning 4 games) once.

YR(Field size) Result
1940(8 ) - Runner up to Indiana
1942(8 ) - lost in first round
1952(16) - NC v St John’s
1953(22) - Runner up to Indiana

Phog never got to coach Wilt, and I’m as certain as one can be in retrospect that the 1957 team would have won it all with Phog in charge instead of Dick Harp. By all accounts everyone agrees that Dick was a nice guy, but not the coach that Phog was.

Today it is much easier to make the field as since 1985 64 teams (68 today) get invited. The bad part of that is teams must win 6 games instead of 4 to win it all.

Bill has never failed to get his Kansas teams into the NCAAT during the past 18 straight years. In comparison to Phog’s last 18, Bill earned 15 conference titles, two 2nd places and a 3rd place finish.

His blue blood peers at UNC, UK and Duke have failed to make the NCAAT in that period. Calipari has missed the NCAAT three times in that time (once with Memphis), had 1 more FF appearance (including his 2008 FF with Memphis), but the same # of titles. K has missed the NCAAT once, has the same # of FFs but 1 more title than Bill in that period. Roy has missed the NCAAT once with UNC, has 2 more FF appearances, and won 3 titles in those 5 FF appearances. In terms of titles, he’s the tops starting with AY2003-04.

Jay Wright (368 days older than Bill, born December 23, 1961) has 2 of Villanova’s 3 titles. In the last 18 years, he has 7 conference titles, 15 NCAA appearances (missed twice), 3 FFs and 2 titles, and is still dancing this NCAAT.

Be unhappy that Bill has not had more success at KANSAS, but be realistic— nobody better is coming through those AFH doors anytime soon because he is, with all his postseason shortcomings, still one of the best in the game.

Get this NCAA stuff settled and we will be fine.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• LKF_HAWK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26790 by LKF_HAWK
Here is a list, again I don’t have the time to do the stats and you won’t get HOF’er for HOF’er Again no guarantees in life

1. Brad Stevens - Celtics Coach, look at what he did with Butler..does he leave the NBA
2. Porter Moser - Loyola
3. Wes Miller - UNC Greensboro
4. Travis Steele/Will Wade
5.Former player say Haase/Vaughn/Miles

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26791 by konza63
No need to include stats - names are fine. (I only mentioned stats for Corpus, because he’s our guru there)

Let’s see what the list winds up bearing, and then we can review it.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LKF_HAWK

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26792 by HawkErrant

LKF_HAWK wrote: Here is a list, again I don’t have the time to do the stats and you won’t get HOF’er for HOF’er Again no guarantees in life

1. Brad Stevens - Celtics Coach, look at what he did with Butler..does he leave the NBA
2. Porter Moser - Loyola
3. Wes Miller - UNC Greensboro
4. Travis Steele/Will Wade
5.Former player say Haase/Vaughn/Miles

1. Stevens recently on record (like last week IIRC) that he is not leaving Boston, period, it's a great situation for him.

2-4. no idea, but would hazard a guess any of them would have better bonafides than 5.

5. No. Love them all, but no. Jerod has not had the greatest coaching record (1 winning conference season in his 5 years at Stanford). Both Vaughn (Nets) and Miles (D League) have had limited coaching experience in the pros, and nothing to indicate they can run a high level college program in their work experience since graduating.

• LKF_HAWK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26793 by LKF_HAWK
.. I hope no one expects a replacement in kind because that is not realistic nor what I am suggesting with my posts. I am looking for relatively young coaches, maybe an unknown like Roy or someone who had success at smaller schools.

Roy came to KU with no D1 HC experience. Juwan Howard is doing well at Michigan with no HC experience..Bill Self was know as a rising coach that had yet to breakthrough at the E8..

Who is to say Jerod Haase would not do better at Kansas than UAB, Stanford given the recruiting resources..Howard is 40-16 and Michigan and is going to be tough to recruit against.

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #26794 by HawkErrant
You say you’re thinking someone like Roy, you cite Juwan Howard (whose assistant background is all in the pros at Miami, not learning the college job)... yet your off the cuff, in the heat of the moment suggestions are all established coaches except for JV and Aaron. None of them fit your restated criteria.

Bob Frederick found Roy, who coached HS for 5 years before joining the staff at UNC for 10 years, because Smith recommended Roy as an alternative to Smith taking the KU job. Even so, it was the longest of shots.

Where is the information market for us to examine to even reasonably discuss assistant coach promotional hires? There is a reason most programs try to bring in experienced coaches.

I would love for Kansas to find another Roy when Self leaves, but I doubt it very much.

Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #26796 by HawkErrant
Adding on to my thoughts -- but not a replacement for Bill in the near future addendum.

I can readily see Kurtis Townsend not being with us much longer.

I would love to see Self hire a younger assistant to potentially groom as his eventual replacement, much as TTS did with Roy -- although I would hope he would stay with KU the whole time until Bill steps down so that we don't do to some other school what the tarred ones did to us.

Crazy thought - maybe Marcus Garrett? He's often described as another coach on the floor, knowing just what Bill is thinking.
In that regard, I know Aaron or Jacque would fit that mold as well. However, they are both West Coasters, and Marcus isn't, being from Dallas. Just spitballing, seeing if anything sticks...

Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by HawkErrant.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26798 by NotOstertag
Playing off the Garrett idea, why not Mitch Lightfoot.

Granted he's going to be a player next year, but who better to groom? Some reasons why (going from memory here, so stats might be a little off):

>Played 15 years at KU - knows the program and system
>Will graduate next year at the age of 37 with 9 PHDs - ready to transition into coaching
>Literally bleeds Crimson and Blue, totally dedicated to KU since he was a kid

Despite his age, I don't think he plans to retire anytime soon after he's done playing. I say bring him on as an assistant, let Self continue to mentor him, and in 4 or 5 years he'll be ready to take over. Granted, he'll be close to 80 at that point, but maybe we can get a couple years out of him.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26799 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: Playing off the Garrett idea, why not Mitch Lightfoot.

Granted he's going to be a player next year, but who better to groom? Some reasons why (going from memory here, so stats might be a little off):

>Played 15 years at KU - knows the program and system
>Will graduate next year at the age of 37 with 9 PHDs - ready to transition into coaching
>Literally bleeds Crimson and Blue, totally dedicated to KU since he was a kid

Despite his age, I don't think he plans to retire anytime soon after he's done playing. I say bring him on as an assistant, let Self continue to mentor him, and in 4 or 5 years he'll be ready to take over. Granted, he'll be close to 80 at that point, but maybe we can get a couple years out of him.

:woohoo: :side: :silly: :lol: :P ;)

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #26801 by CorpusJayhawk
I am sorprendido there is no mention of JCase. Jeremy is super well liked by his teammates, has been under Self now for several seasons, he comes from good coaching stock and has a naturally "head coach like" demeanor and personality. I think Case may be a diamond in the rough.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant