Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Post Mortem A Tale of Two Teams, It was the best of times, it was the worst ....

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #26769 by CorpusJayhawk
I have posted a ton of data on this site supporting the proposition that Coach Self is perhaps the best coach in the country in winning games in the regular season. Since he has been at Kansas, he has won more games than anyone while perennially facing one of the toughest schedules in the country. He has been able to recruit great talent and he has shown he can coach over the course of a season to mold a team to excel in the rigors of a 30+ game schedule. Literally, no one has done that better than Coach Self. He deserves full recognition for that.

Then there is the NCAA tourney. What should be patently obvious to the most casual observer is that what it takes to win in the NCAA tourney is slightly different than what it takes to win over the grind of a long season. Obviously many of the ingredients are the same. Talent, coaching, offense, defense, etc. But there are some things that are highly accentuated in the NCAA.

USC is 24-7 on the season. I would argue that if Coach Self were the coach of USC, they would be more likely 26-5 or even 27-4. The things that a coach can do to contribute to wins in a conference season or over the course of a season are where Self excels. I think USC would be a better overall team for the long haul with Coach Self because he is the best at that. But then there is the NCAA.

I am going to do the tale of two teams. Let's take KU and Oral Roberts. KU is a team that has decent talent 7 or 8 deep but we we have no star. More importantly, we have no real transcendent talent on the team save for possibly Marcus's defense or Jalen's rebounding. What we have is a decent group of players with decent talent but no single go-to killer that can take over a game. Overall, we are more talented than Oral Roberts. What Oral Roberts has is two players who have assassin's attitudes and unique talents in Abmas and Obanor. If I were a Oral Roberts fan, I would be the opposite of KU fans. I would be super frustrated that my team could not turn this talent into a better team over the course of the season and win more games. If Bill Self coached Oral Roberts, they would win a lot more games over the course of the season.

But in the NCAA, when you have that kind of individual talent and you can channel it for a game, you can be a giant killer. We saw that with the Mobley brothers. So a part of KU's inability to succeeed in the NCAA, this season for sure, is a lack of assassin talent. In 2008 we had a number of assassins on that team. We had Tyshawn in 2021, who had that talent and ability. We had Malik, Svi and Devonte' in 2018. We had Kirk and Nick in 2003. We had Danny and a few other guys in 1988.

The NCAA is also about luck and other things that are just part of the game. Getting hot at the right time, etc. But there is no denying that KU has more often underachieved than overachieved in the NCAA. Is that on Self? Well, yes in large part. It is on him to recruit and develop that kind of talent regularly. Losing to USC is no disgrace. Heck, we were an underdog. Losing by 34 is a disgrace. Part of this was USC just found lightning in a bottle. They had a once or twice in a season type game. But part of it was that they had transcendent talent that could just as easily be called underachievers during the regular season.

I think Self overachieved with this team this season. That is to his credit. This team lacks talent. He managed to get us to 2nd place in the Big 12 and a 3 seed in the NCAA. That is brilliant coaching. But because of who this team is, they had the cards stacked against them in the NCAA. I think part of Self's problem in the NCAA is he overachieves often in the regular season due to his great coaching. BUt the question is, would we trade some regular season success for more NCAA success? Hmmmmmm!!!!

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, hairyhawk, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, rainyhawk, wardhawk, Socalhawk, porthawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 1 month ago #26771 by hairyhawk
I think it should really be apparent that this team was not as talented as some other teams KU has had. I agree with your analysis. I am one who is willing to live with "underachieving" in the NCAA tourney for maximizing the performance over the season. I think the current coaching staff is doing an amazing job. They are not perfect but I think they are the best out there. I really wish last years team would have had a chance to compete in the NCAA tournament.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, rainyhawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #26774 by konza63
Good stuff as always, Corpus.

RE: your question:

BUt the question is, would we trade some regular season success for more NCAA success?

I would say Yes, without hesitation - but with one caveat. :)

My answer would be the same for any sport, any team, that I follow and support - including the Chiefs and Royals in pro football and baseball, as well as the Hawks in college hoops. And the reason is simple: that is the metric by which history judges sports teams and success. By the post-season. Nobody fixates on the winning of a division title in pro football - they look at your playoff success, and particularly whether you got to the Super Bowl (and preferably won it). Oh, sure, I'm delighted by the fact that the Chiefs have thoroughly dominated the AFC West for the past couple decades ... just as the Hawks have had such phenomenal regular-season success. However, I would gladly trade that away if it meant more SB trophies and national crowns (first) and deep playoff/tourney runs (second).

As for the caveat, I wouldn't want this proportionality to go overboard, however. In other words, I wouldn't want to begin to see us consistently do badly in regular season and often miss the tournament. Instead, I'd prefer something along the lines of the UConn model, I suppose (though Villanova would be even nicer): one where, yeah, we may lose 9-10 games in the regular season more than we wish, but we make up for it with multiple tourney deep runs and crowns. I would not, however, welcome us having multiple sub-.500 seasons over and over, with a crown once every 20-30 years, as a tradeoff. I suspect the fact that a team has to have sufficient regular-season success to even get into the tourney makes the question answer itself to a degree - i.e., you would still have to fare pretty well, competitively, in regular season in order to get those deep run and crown opportunities. The difference is, when you get those opportunities, you close the deal on them.

One final note, often underscored on this prestigious board over the years. But one that even my 16-year-old son, who likes to debate his friends here in the DC area by fervently supporting the Hawks, made to me the other day. KU is a historic basketball program. It has everything it (and we, as fans) could possibly ask for. The regular-season elite success. The league crowns. The NCAA tourney streak. The all-time wins elite position. The best arena in the land. The coaching tree and pedigree that literally goes to the Founder. The father of college coaching. On and on and on... The one thing missing - the only thing missing from our resume - is the paltry number of NCAA tournament crowns. A scant 3. That flows from all the close misses over the years, plus the premature exits. It's the only thing missing from us being able to stand in the same category as the UKs, UNCs, Dukes, and UCLAs of college hoops. We are definitively a blueblood in every single aspect except for titles.

Here's to that changing more in our favor in years ahead. And one final note that hopefully goes without saying: I wouldn't trade my alma mater and its basketball experience and history for any other program, period. So even if we don't get as many consistent crowns as I might hope, I will always hold the program in an exalted status - and defend it to my grave against all critics.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, porthawk

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #26780 by CorpusJayhawk
Good thoughts Konza. I would have to say as the nerd deluxe, the guy who just spent a fair amount of money to buy game data back to 1950, I obviously deeply derive joy from the consistency of the KU/Self/Williams streak. By just about any metric you want to apply over the last 35 years, only 2 schools are going to emerge at the top in every metric. Duke and Kansas are head and shoulders the elite over the last 30 years of regular season success. And I LOVE that. I spend a lot of time mishing and mashing data only 5% at most ever sees the light of day on this board. But it warms my heart as I see in all it's stochastic and mathematical splendor the amazing run we have been on. But I have also been very candid, and not always to the delight of others on this board, that KU's performance in the NCAA has been anything but elite. It has been sub elite. We can all speculate and hypothesize the reasons why, but the data is pretty clear. We have had decent success in the NCAA largely because we have earned high seeds but what we have done with those seeds has been less than many other schools and what Self has done is not as good as coaches like Jay Wright and Roy Williams. I would take Self 100 times out of 100 for building a program to sustain over time. But there is no denying, Williams has delivered in the NCAA Tourney, at least since he went to UNC. I would put Coach K in the category of being slightly above average in the NCAA in terms of delivering to seed. He has taken some teams to the tourney that were so far superior to the field and he has won some NC's with those teams and he has flamed out on occasion. But when it comes to delivering to seed, Self has been sub-par. When it comes to building a winning program, Self has been the best in the country. A true conundrum.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, porthawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 1 month ago #26786 by HawkErrant
The NCAA Tournament, which our beloved Phog Allen helped to found, was first played in 1939.

Phog had the chance to make 18 of them from 1939 through 1956, his last season at the helm. The field was much smaller then and thus much harder to make, and Phog only got his Jayhawks into 4 of them. During that period he had 16 years of overall winning records, but just 12 years of conference winning records. His teams finished first 9 times, 2nd twice, 3rd 3 times, 5th twice and 6th twice. If those seasons were played during the last 18 years instead of 1939-56, he would most likely have made the NCAAT 11, possibly as many as 14 times.

Instead Phog made just 4 trips in 18 years, 3 times made the Final Four (only required 1 win in 1940) and won it all (winning 4 games) once.

YR(Field size) Result
1940(8 ) - Runner up to Indiana
1942(8 ) - lost in first round
1952(16) - NC v St John’s
1953(22) - Runner up to Indiana

Phog never got to coach Wilt, and I’m as certain as one can be in retrospect that the 1957 team would have won it all with Phog in charge instead of Dick Harp. By all accounts everyone agrees that Dick was a nice guy, but not the coach that Phog was.

Today it is much easier to make the field as since 1985 64 teams (68 today) get invited. The bad part of that is teams must win 6 games instead of 4 to win it all.

Bill has never failed to get his Kansas teams into the NCAAT during the past 18 straight years. In comparison to Phog’s last 18, Bill earned 15 conference titles, two 2nd places and a 3rd place finish.

His blue blood peers at UNC, UK and Duke have failed to make the NCAAT in that period. Calipari has missed the NCAAT three times in that time (once with Memphis), had 1 more FF appearance (including his 2008 FF with Memphis), but the same # of titles. K has missed the NCAAT once, has the same # of FFs but 1 more title than Bill in that period. Roy has missed the NCAAT once with UNC, has 2 more FF appearances, and won 3 titles in those 5 FF appearances. In terms of titles, he’s the tops starting with AY2003-04.

Jay Wright (368 days older than Bill, born December 23, 1961) has 2 of Villanova’s 3 titles. In the last 18 years, he has 7 conference titles, 15 NCAA appearances (missed twice), 3 FFs and 2 titles, and is still dancing this NCAAT.

Be unhappy that Bill has not had more success at KANSAS, but be realistic— nobody better is coming through those AFH doors anytime soon because he is, with all his postseason shortcomings, still one of the best in the game.

Get this NCAA stuff settled and we will be fine.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, sasnak, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, porthawk