Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Catching Kentucky

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 3 months ago #26073 by CorpusJayhawk
KU began the season 18 games behind Kentucky for all-time wins. This far this season we have won 8 to their 1m thus gaining 7 games on them leaving them still ahead by 11. My DPPI projects we will win 10 of our remaining 17 games and Kentucky will win 5 of their remaining 18 games (or 19 if they make up the South Carolina game. If that comes to pass we will finish the regular season 6 games behind them. I project they will not win any post season games and Kansas is likely to win 1 Big 12 tourney game. Kentucky will certainly not make any post-season tourney with that record so KU will have the NCAA to pick up the remaining 4 games. The currently probability is that Kansas will will 1 game in the NCAA ( i know, I know, a lot can and will change between now and then) so based on the current state of the DPPI, KU will likely finish the season 3 game behind Kentucky. If we end up only 3 behind Kentucky after this season I will take that in a heartbeat. I think Kansas will do better than I have projected and I think Kentucky will as well. Kansas currently has a ridiculous positive trend. We have been a different team the last 3 games. But Kentucky is also likely to improve significantly. I do think we will end up under 10 games behind them when the season is over. This is the season we needed. We had been steadily gaining on them through Self's first 10 years but in the last 5 years we have lost 2 games to them.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, Bayhawk, Socalhawk, hoshi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 years 3 months ago #26074 by DocBlues
I think you need to have a look at your all-time win stats. I've checked mine (which I've been keeping since the 2000-2001 season) with HawkErrant's and we are in agreement: KU entered this season 16 wins behind Kentucky. We have picked up 7 games on them (8 wins to 1), so, at this moment, we are 9 games behind them. I don't have a DPPI or a crystal ball, so I don't know what this will look like at the end of the season, but catching them this year is a possibility, imo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 3 months ago #26075 by HawkErrant
Doc is correct, KU currently trails UK by 9 (see pinned post at www.rockchalk.com/index.php/forum/basket...y-after-sunday-games .)

2318 Kentucky after last season
2302 Kansas
16 behind UK at start of this season.

KU gained 10 games on UK in 2013 to end up just 10 back, then lost ground for 4 of the next 7 years. In the last 5 years (2016-2020) KU has gained 9 games on UK.

-4 2014 (14 back)
-11 2015 (25 back)
+6 2016 (19 back)
-1 2017 (20 back)
+5 2018 (15 back)
-4 2019 (19 back)
+3 2020 (16 back)

I annually match up my ATWP data (kept since 2011) with each new NCAA records book as they come out because occasionally previously unreported wins from the early days are dug up by historians (see later in the pinned ATWP thread re: UNC totals change unrelated to its 2019-20 record and the follow on posts).
www.rockchalk.com/index.php/forum/basket...r-sunday-games#25983

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, DocBlues

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 3 months ago #26076 by CorpusJayhawk
I don't keep the all time wins data, i just refer to the pinned thread HawkErrant keeps up so well. My error was looking at his data at the end of last year, subtracting 2318 minus 2302 and magically getting 18 instead of 16. Good catch. As for Kentucky gaining 2 games on KU gaining 2 games in the last 5 years, that is a typo, that was supposed to be last 6 years. My post was more focusing on my DPPI projections but that is no excuse for not being abkle ti subtract 2302 from 2318 correctly. My main point that was lost in the confiusion with y incoorect numbers was that we are very likely, based on my DPPI to continue gaining on them this year and get under 10 games back and likely well under 10 games back.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #26077 by HawkErrant
In my experience when the topic of All Time Winningest D1 programs is mentioned, the first question is “who’s on top”, the second is “by how much”, the third is “what are the totals” (although to validate the first two the info on the third is usually brought up without being asked).

The “by how much” question is why I include the GB (Games Behind the leader) data in the next to last column at the right side of the table. (Link: ATWP at end of CY2020).

And since our focus is naturally KANSAS the last column of the table — ΔKU or “Delta KU” — shows how much ground each of the other programs has gained or lost against KU in the current academic year.

I look forward to the day when KANSAS is once again atop the field, as it frequently was for several years in the 1940s and 1950s. I think it is possible it will happen this AY, but I do expect Kentucky to get better as we enter 2021, and given the pandemic, I would not bet on it. Far too many uncertainties in the current environment.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, DocBlues