Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Huggins actually ends up losing $35000

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 3 months ago #24245 by HawkErrant
In an earlier thread started by hairyhawk, the thread discussion covered Huggins not getting his contractual KU win money, and Huggins overall.

Turns out he actually lost $10K out of pocket on top of the $25K he missed out on because WVU couldn’t beat KU on Saturday.

Big12sports.com: Huggins fined $10000

ESPN: Huggins fined for mocking officials

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 3 months ago #24247 by Bayhawk
Huggy asked HCBS for a quick loan to cover the $10K and Self, reaching into his pocket, asked, "Can you break a $50,000?"

Well, it could have happened . . . .

RCJHFL

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #24248 by Wheatstate Gal
I was thinking that $10K is chump change to these guys.

IIRC the total fouls called against each team was not that different. I believe there were probably missed calls or phantom calls assessed to each team.

Now if you want to talk the difference in rebounding....sheesh. I was in the house and even my uneducated eye could see the dark shirts swarming under the basket on practically every shot. Crazy!

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 3 months ago #24249 by HawkErrant
Wheaty, WVU was called for 18 fouls.
KU was called for 19.

And yep, to them $10K is chump change.

Hi! Call me Chump. I'll take that change...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
4 years 3 months ago #24263 by NotOstertag
First off, I wouldn't say that Huggins "lost" $25k for not beating KU in Lawrence. The $25k is a bonus contingent on a relatively rare event occurring. Since 2012, we've played 18 times and KU has won 13 of those. Of the 5 losses, WVU has won in Lawrence exactly ONCE. Assuming that the clause has been in Huggy's contract since he started there, WVU has had to pay out once in 8 years. Something tells me that Huggy isn't banking on this windfall to pay this month's rent.

The $10k fine isn't chump change, but it's a strategic decision that he can easily afford. Huggins (and all coaches) know exactly where the line is when it comes to criticizing officials, and Huggins took a flying leap across that line. For him, the message was worth sending apparently. To put the $10k in perspective, Huggins makes about $4 million per year. $10k is 0.25% of his annual haul. By way of comparison, if you make $50k/year that's the equivalent of a $125 fine, or $250 if you make $100k per year. Most people I know won't take a bic lighter to a $100 bill (or two), but have also likely gotten a speeding ticket or some other kind of surprise bill for a similar amount, and while it's annoying, usually doesn't spell bankruptcy.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #24277 by HawkErrant
Quibbling over the words "lost" and "chump change".

Okay.

Yeah, Huggins didn't actually already possess it to "lose" it in that sense. It was lost in the sense that it was an opportunity lost for Huggins to make another donation of the $25K bonus to the cancer charity he gives the money to anytime he earns it, and thus also an opportunity lost for the charity.

As to whether or not $10K is chump change, you make the case for it being such to him, which was Wheaty's conjecture with which I agreed. He knew it wouldn't be a big blip on his balance or income statements. so he could easily afford it if he got fined for his comment. And relatively speaking, sure, I wouldn't fire up a C note to light my cigar, but I can guarantee you my money management mentality is very different (more frugal, more cautious) than that of people that (1) know they have millions coming in each year, *and* (2) actually might consider the comment worth it if it inspired the troops and the home fans -- and maybe put a little pressure on the refs -- later this year when we get to see KU play WVU on ESPN+ for a second time this year, this time in Morgantown.

Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 3 months ago #24280 by HawkErrant
NotO, on a different point -- you wrote: "Since 2012, we've played 18 times and KU has won 13 of those. Of the 5 losses, WVU has won in Lawrence exactly ONCE."

I didn't go as far back as his Cincy days to see if Huggins might have picked up a win against Self in AFH then, but starting with his one year at KState (2006-07), Huggins has NEVER beaten Self's Jayhawks in a game played somewhere other than Morgantown.

The 13-5 WVU record -- or more properly 5-13, since we are approaching this from the WVU perspective -- breaks out like this:
Morgantown:  5-2
Lawrence:    0-8
Kansas City: 0-3
Throw in the three KState losses in 2006-07 (AFH, Manhattan, OKC) and
Huggins is 5-16 against Self's Kansas to date, all five wins coming in Morgantown.

The 2017 AFH game was notable not just for the KU comeback and the crowd noise (documented loudest crowd roar at an indoor sports event by Guinness Book of WorldRecords), but for the fact it would have been Huggins and WVU's first ever victory in AFH, and WVU made mistake after mistake late to keep the door open for the Jayhawks to prevail.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #24281 by Wheatstate Gal
RE: crowd noise.

I tried to watch the “meter” on Saturday. It was LOUD in the Fieldhouse but I didn’t see the meter hit even close to 120....I saw mostly low teens. So I cannot imagine how loud it was in 2017!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
4 years 3 months ago #24285 by NotOstertag
I must have gotten my games mixed up. Nevertheless, I wasn't trying to quibble over 'losing' the money, but more just trying to demonstrate that the $25k bonus is a good bet for WVU since it's rare that they'd ever have to pay it out.

Another way to look at it: WVU beating KU in AFH would be something Huggs would put on his resume and would be talked about for quite a while. The $25k would just be icing on the cake. On the contrary, KU beating WVU in Morgantown is certainly cause for celebration, but there's a lot more of an expectation of that happening. Self would be "on to the next one" by the time the bus got to the airport.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 3 months ago #24286 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: I must have gotten my games mixed up. Nevertheless, I wasn't trying to quibble over 'losing' the money, but more just trying to demonstrate that the $25k bonus is a good bet for WVU since it's rare that they'd ever have to pay it out. [HE replies- :lol::lol::lol:]

Another way to look at it: WVU beating KU in AFH would be something Huggs would put on his resume and would be talked about for quite a while. The $25k would just be icing on the cake. On the contrary, KU beating WVU in Morgantown is certainly cause for celebration, but there's a lot more of an expectation of that happening. Self would be "on to the next one" by the time the bus got to the airport.

All true, all true!:P B)

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 3 months ago #24287 by HawkErrant

Wheatstate Gal wrote: RE: crowd noise.

I tried to watch the “meter” on Saturday. It was LOUD in the Fieldhouse but I didn’t see the meter hit even close to 120....I saw mostly low teens. So I cannot imagine how loud it was in 2017!

[hollering over the crowd] SAY AGAIN, WHEATY???:woohoo: