Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Bob Huggins Loses $30,000.00 Dollars

• hairyhawk
  • hairyhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 4 months ago #24201 by hairyhawk
And there was much rejoicing. I thought I heard that Huggins has a clause in his contract where he gets 30K every time he beats Kansas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• hairyhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 4 months ago #24205 by hairyhawk
WVU out rebounded the Hawks 41 to 27. I think that is a big spread

More
4 years 3 months ago #24215 by sasnak
Huggy gets $25,000 every time he beats us and he donates it to cancer research in his mother's name.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

More
4 years 3 months ago #24224 by NotOstertag
I like Huggins. And if I'm reading body language correctly, I think Self does too. Is Huggy brash, loud and occasionally over-the-top? You betcha. But he seems to be an authentic guy and looks like 10 minutes after the loss, he'd be more than happy to meet up with Self, crack open a cold beer and have a good-natured hang out.

He certainly is a WVU guy and will support his guys to the end, but I also think he's self-aware enough that if you called him on some of his stuff after the game in private, he'd admit that there's some Barnum Bailey in his schtick.

Glad we beat him, but I can't work up the anger/hatred that I could with guys like Billy Tubbs, Norm Stewart or even Scot Drew. You can almost see Huggy's tongue firmly inserted in his cheek while he patrols the sideline. Looks to me like he'd be a really fun guy to have at the party.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk, murphyslaw

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #24227 by konza63
I couldn't agree more, NotO. This is exactly my intuitive read on him too, and also factoring in Self's very positive comments about him.

I've noticed something with Self, and I think it springs from how competitive he is and is viewed. The number of coaches who he embraces after a game with a smile and actually speaks a few words with (back and forth) is very, very limited. Most get a very quick handshake and sometimes the latter is about as cold and tepid as leftover pizza at a frat house in Anchorage. That is not the case with Self and Huggins - far from it. If memory serves, it's also not the case with Izzo. But when it comes to Coach Kalamazooski, Alfred P Neuman (aka Scott Drew), Bruce Weber, and a handful of others, it's a brusque handshake and body language that speaks to mutual disdain (or at minimum, a competitive nature that leaves no room for warm feelings). The rest are somewhat in the middle - no real emotion, just a quick handshake and at least some respectful (brief) eye contact.

I like Huggins, for all the reasons you stated. And not only because he'd be fun for Self to have a beer with, but for me to have one with as well. :-)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

• hairyhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #24238 by hairyhawk
I am going to disagree with the Bob Huggins take. I do not disregard your observations as I think they are valid and he would no doubt be enjoyable company if he chose to hang out. When he was at Cincy and had a0% graduation rate I lost respect for the man. Those that justify the NCAA model by suggesting the education is worth the time and effort of the players a 0% graduation rate looks like that is taking advantage of the players. You could argue that he does not see it as fair compensation and was encouraging his players to seek gainful employment when they were ready. That maybe the case and maybe I am misreading it and he did have the players best interest in mind. But as a college coach a 0% graduation rate is unacceptable IMO. He currently has a 90% graduation rate at WVU so I may be wrong about him.

More
4 years 3 months ago #24239 by NotOstertag
Valid point, Hairy. He also had the DWI charge leading up to his getting the boot. Nevertheless, as you say, he's not demonstrating poor academic standing at WVU, so one wonders how much falls on his shoulders vs. how much gets spread around through the athletic department and administration. Note that he got the boot shortly after a new President was hired at Cincinnati, so it's entirely possible that the "winning before grades" concept was encouraged or even pushed by his bosses. I'm not so naive to think that shenanigans run rampant in college hoops, and that includes KU. While I think Self runs a tight ship and clean program, I would also be completely unsurprising to wake up one morning an find out that KU is as dirty as anyone else but has just done a better job of hiding it.

Honestly I didn't really follow Huggins until his last couple of years at Cincinnati, but seeing him 2-3x per year vs. KU since he landed at K-State makes me feel like I have a decent feel for him (as much as I do for any coach I see on TV a handful of times every year). I also think it's totally possible that his ugly departure from Cincinnati might also have given him some time to reflect and change his ways.

Or who knows, maybe he and Self run an illegal dog-fighting business that they took over from Michael Vick and steal candy from little kids for fun on the side. I've been burned enough NOT to put any celebrity on too high of a pedestal if I don't have personal experience with them.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot