Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Nucleus

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 days ago #22689 by murphyslaw
I've misplaced the roster so can't remember the players who probably will be back next year. Who is our nucleus or our projected starters besides Doke, DMac, Dotson (Hopefully!) and Lightfoot? And, who might be a rising star from the bench?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 days ago #22691 by Wheatstate Gal
I can think of Garrett and Ochai (sp? Too lazy to look up)

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 5 days ago - 5 years 5 days ago #22692 by HawkErrant

murphyslaw wrote: I've misplaced the roster so can't remember the players who probably will be back next year. Who is our nucleus or our projected starters besides Doke, DMac, Dotson (Hopefully!) and Lightfoot? And, who might be a rising star from the bench?

Last season's roster is pinned to the top of the front page. Link

The list of projected returning players can be found in the origin post for this year's recruiting thread, again pinned to the top of the front page. AY2018019 Recruiting. Just page down until you see the section titled
RETURNING PLAYERS and AY2019-20 STATUS (by Class; (S)cholarship or (W)alk-on)

I'll copy that section here.

RETURNING PLAYERS and AY2019-20 STATUS (by Class; (S)cholarship or (W)alk-on)
SENIORS
F Mitch Lightfoot (S)
C Udoka Azubuike (S) Or will he be a RS Junior? Played in <30% of KU's games AY2018-19.

JUNIORS
G Marcus Garrett (S)
G Chris Teahan (W)
F Silvio De Sousa (S) Appeal will be approved and he’ll be back. IMO - HE

SOPHOMORES
G Devon Dotson (S) (He’ll be back!) IMO - HE
C David McCormack (S)
G Ochai Agbaji (S)
G Garrett Luinstra (W)
G EJ Elliott (W)

* Past red-shirt

SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE
13 total scholarships allowed each AY
- 7 returning scholarship players assuming Dotson and DeSousa return.
= 8 max to 6 min openings depending on final decisions.
∴ anywhere from 4 to 6 scholarships available as of this update.
================================================

From the recruiting page we also identify the two signees to date, wing Christian Braun and PG Issac McBride, and other prospects being pursued, both HS and transfers.

Assuming our hopes come to pass and both Dotson and DeSousa are back, the core players for the start of next season are:

PROJECTED at start of season1
STARTER/BENCH
C Dok/Big Dave
F DeSousa/Lightfoot/Big Dave
PG Dotson*/McBride/Garrett
G Agbaji*/McBride/Garrett
G/F Lightfoot/Braun*/Garrett

Remaining bench:
Guards - Teahan, Luinstra, Elliott
*3pt shooters (projected)

I anticipate both McBride and Braun will see significant minutes as freshman.

1 The above uses no hopeful recruits such as graduate transfers F TJ Holyfield or SG Rayjon Tucker (both career >40% from 3) or HS recruits F Precious Achiuwa or F Tristan Enaruna. Even if DeSousa and Dotson return, KU still has enough open scholarships for all four. I doubt they will land all four, and we will see Self bringing in someone we have yet to hear about to complete the roster.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 5 days ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk, murphyslaw, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 4 days ago #22693 by HawkErrant
I should have added that if KU should land one or both of grad transfers TJ Holyfield and/or Rayjon Tucker expect them to be starters at the onset of the season. With their resumes they aren’t going to go somewhere where they aren’t starters for their final seasons.

Tucker, ESPN’s #2 graduate transfer this year, would be the starting shooting guard.

Holyfield is a 6-8/227 defensive whiz blessed with the ability to score in the paint and from the arc. If Silvio does not return he would be the starting 4. If Silvio does return, I expect TJ to be our starting 3. If he makes the NBA it will most likely be as a 3, and I think he would jump at the chance to showcase his skills.

Both these guys, with Dotson, would give KU 3 shooters on the floor for the opposition to have to deal with.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, jaythawk1