Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Random thoughts...

More
5 years 2 months ago #21162 by Kong
After the loss to KSU, I felt that we had to win the next 4 out of 5 to have a shot at the title this year. With Baylor getting beat by KSU, I think it makes it even more of a necessity to win 4 out of 5 (now 3 out of 4).

Agbaji is coming on strong. He provides a bit of fire that this team has been lacking. Same with Mitch.

This team needs to want to shut a crowd down. They need to embrace the hostile crowd and relish the opportunity to walk away with a W. I think those two have it. I think the others might catch it. If Grimes could catch it, we may be back at a point where this team can make some noise.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 2 months ago #21165 by big g
totally agree kong. mitch and ochai def have that eye of the tiger and dedric and dotson generally have the same fearless approach as well. david mac, kj and charley seem to be giving us more consistent minutes off the bench now. so the only gap really is that 5th starter ( grimes) — can he get out of his head and do what malik did last year? he has had some moments for sure. my guess is that he will and if he does we are obviously capable of going 6-1 the rest of the way which is all it shld take for a piece of the trophy this year. ksu obvi beat us down there but they did not play well. they are lucky if they go 4-3 from here at least in my view. no matter what tho i think it will be a fun 3 weeks!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #21166 by HawkErrant
I agree with your basic premise, Kong, but with KU having 8 games left to play in the conference season at that time (now 7), why limit the "must wins" to the next 4/5 (now 3/4) games instead of 7 of 8 (now 6 of 7)?

KU won regular season titles with 5 conference losses in 2015 and 2018. No Big XII team has yet won at least a share of the conference title with more than 5 losses.

At 8-2, the odds are in KSU's favor. Eight games to play, 4 at home and I figure they will win at least one of the remaining road games at Texas, WVU, KU and TCU. Barring some upsets, they are positioned to finish the conference season with no more than 5 losses.

If Kansas loses more than one of its remaining games the odds are against it getting at least a share of the regular season crown this year.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

More
5 years 2 months ago #21168 by Kong
I viewed it as two segments - those 5 and the last 4.

Those 5 appeared to be the toughest stretch as we had both TT and TCU on the road and I felt that basically we had to win one of those two.

The last 4 have our tougher games in the friendly confines of AFH (KSU and Baylor). Given the line up I felt that while all the games are important, this 5 (now 4) game stretch was the first critical step in giving us a chance. We will still need help, but if we can't take those games we don't have a chance, in my opinion.

KSU still has to travel to TCU, KU and Texas as well as home games against ISU and Baylor. If we give them a loss when they come to town, then I like our chances of one of those other 4 games biting them as well.

ISU may have the easiest road and still have a chance to bite KSU, so that will be a tough one to root for.

Visualize Whirled Peas

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #21171 by HawkErrant
I see your reasoning, and it's true that based on the odds no more than 1 loss can be afforded in these next 4 games.

But since I am not as sanguine as asteroid (and you?) may seem to be about the chances of winning at least a share of the title with 6 losses, for me I have to look at the historical bounday of 5 losses being the max possible to still get at least a share, so I have to look at all 7 games left. Naturally hope it turns out to be 6 losses for the first time this year, as our chances significantly increase in that case.

Thanks for the reply. :)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.