Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Penn not a 16 seed

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #17426 by CorpusJayhawk
Based on my DPPI, there are 4 teams rated lower than Penn that are not 16 seeds. The 5 lowest rated teams in my DPPI are all 16 seeds. But you also have Cal-Fullerton (15 seed), Lipscomb (15 seed), Wright State (14 seed) and Iona (15 seed) who are rated below Penn. Duke, the second seed in our region, got an easier opponent. (but just barely, Iona is 125 and Penn is 124). 19 teams rated 69 or worse made the field. 17 of those were automatic bids. Alabama (69) and Providence (73) were at-large but poorly rated. Based on my DPPI 18 teams were more deserving than Alabama and 21 more deserving than Providence. The biggest snubs were;

Loiusville (24)
Penn St. (26)
Maryland (32)
Notre Dame (37)
Baylor (38)
St. Mary's (40)
USC (43)
Middle Tennessee (45)

While Oklahoma St. had some nice wins their early season was way not good. Given that Alabama and Oklahoma (52) both made it ahead of better teams, and given that they have two of the top freshmen in the game I think the committee is straining credulity to say the freshman phenom impact is not considered.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by CorpusJayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, KMT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #17428 by HawkErrant
Everybody on ESPN shows talking about Penn being way underseeded. It’s like the committee had absolutely no respect for KU and did their best to throw a stumbling block in our way.

As to OkSt — my argument is not that they belong as much as it is they belong more than OU, who clearly does not belong at all and would not be in but for Trae Trey’s marquee status.

If you had to pick one school that really got the shaft it’s USC. Finished second in Pac12 play (and tournament IIRC) and had better overall record of anyone in Pac12 not named Arizona. But they (and OkSt) figure prominently in the FBI investigation. Amazed Arizona got in at all, guess they were too good to ignore as Pac12 champs — and they have their marquee player in Ayton. But it seems they are also way underseeded, so maybe that was deemed enough by the committee. Tougher earlier competition all the way to decrease the chance of them actually getting anywhere.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 2 months ago #17437 by NotOstertag
Let's not whine about Penn. They played 1 game against a top 50 team and lost (Villanova won by 28). They have one guy who's 6'10" but he only plays 2.6 minutes a game and is averaging 0.5 points. Their other bigs top out at 6'8"...same height as Svi. I don't think we need to worry about their perimeter defense if Dok and/or Silvio play even marginally well.

This "they're the toughest 16" or "they should be a 14" stuff just makes us sound like whiners. If we can't beat a team that only beat UMKC by 3 and has losses to Fairfield, LaSalle, Towson, and Toledo, then we have much BIGGER problems within our own program.

Nope. The only thing we should be thinking about is beating them HANDILY. Come out with energy and never let it even begin to resemble any kind of actual contest. Step on their throats guys.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: DocBlues, Hawknmo, newtonhawk

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #17438 by CorpusJayhawk
NotO, not whining at all nor do I care one whit about Penn. I am just indulging in the game of the day between selection Sunday and the beginning of play which is analyzing all manner of bracket decisions. I have posted my teams that were snubbed, I have posted some individual posts of teams that were potentially mis-seeded. I don't believe the selection committee has one iota of concern or bias against Kansas. I have listened to the various interviews of committee members and I tend to lean toward taking them at their word. The one area where I doubt the veracity of their stated position is the inclusion of Oklahoma and Alabama based on the "body of their work." It is my assessment which I put as much stock in as any of them since I spend countless hours analyzing these things, that Louisville or even Baylor had a greater body of work. Heck, USC probably had a greater body of work. The committee has averred ad nauseum that the early season weighs as much as the end of season and conference tournament games are no different than any game. Yes, those exact words have been stated a number of times. Tell me what Alabama "corpus" of work is if you don't count their late season run any heavier? The Penn issue was just interesting. I am more curious how they decided to seed them 16 than worried about it. In years past they have been pretty good about 16 seeds being the lowest rated teams. This year they deviated from that and pretty significantly. I'm sure they had a reason and I'm equally sure it had nothing to do with a bias toward Kansas. I am just curious. I was hoping someone on this board had heard an interview on this with a committee member and would respond.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, JRhawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #17445 by JRhawk
CJ - I posted this to the #1 Seed in the Midwest - Starting in Wichita thread two days ago. Glad to see your DPPI agrees.
" I don't have to go past the 1st round to see that KU got screwed. #1 seed order is VA, Nova, KU, Xavier. I would argue that play-in teams are at a disadvantage, with the additional game. Using Sagarin (S) and Ken Pomeroy (KP) ratings, VA has UMBC (189S - 184KP), Nova has the winner of LIU Brooklyn(256S - 251KP) & Radford (190S - 170KP), KU has Penn (121S - 127KP), while Xavier has the winner of NC Central (295S - 309KP) & Texas So (242S - 249KP). So instead of Xavier getting the easiest teams of the 4, they should have had Penn (assuming Penn is a 16 seed). Lipscomb has 168S & 165KP and CSU Fullerton has 171S & 153KP, so either of those teams appear to be more 16 seed caliber than Penn."
NotO - of course KU should beat Penn - the issue for me is selection committee screw-ups.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
  • HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 months ago #17482 by HawkErrant
As I noted yesterday in reply to porthawk's post with the story re: Azubuike playing, HCBS agrees with those saying Penn is way under seeded as a 16.

“I was really surprised when they showed up on the 16 line, and after watching them surprise turned to anger because they are not (a 16 seed).” - Bill Self

Granted, if KU can't get past Penn it doesn't deserve to advance, but geez -- the third 1 seed gets the toughest bracket overall, starting with the best (best ever) 16 seed to go with the best 2 and 3 seeds this year?

Always thought the 4th 1 seed was supposed to get the best 16 and the best 2?

Brought to you by the same Selection Committee that selected a team for the tournament that has not won away from home since December 30, 2017.

Hey, bozoes* -- we DON'T thank you!

*With sincere apologies to Bozo for any perceived slight from associating him with this committee.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #17494 by hairyhawk
Nice post HE. I know we all agree that hopefully the players can just concentrate on winning the game. Do not worry about who you are playing just win the game.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 months ago #17497 by HawkErrant
hairy, I actually feel sorry for Penn in all this as well. We get so focused on how our guys got mistreated that we forget the flip side -- the committee did them no favors placing them as a 16 seed when they really should have been a 15 or even a 14.

There are always issues to be had with who got in and who didn't and who got seeded X when they should have been seeded W or even V, but this committee has done one of the worst jobs I can recall.

The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #17498 by Freestate69
To be the best, you've got to beat the best.
No worries for the Jayhawks, where Penn is seeded.
We expect our guys to end up facing a couple #1s in the FF, and we won't complain about that. :)

"Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the earth." - Gandalf on passing through Columbia, MO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #17507 by Hawknmo
Thank you so much NotO for shedding some much needed reality into this discussion. LaSalle, Towson, Toledo, Yale and of course the best team in the galaxy..Villanova? Come on! Best 16 seed ever? I’m telling you right now, find the starting 5 from Western Kentucky from 3 years ago and THEY would beat Penn. You know why they have such ungodly numbers against the 3 ball? Cuz they play in the Ivy freakin League! Now I am in no way trying to run down the ONLY division 1 league in the country that has true scholar athletes. They, and the service academie, deserve a ton of respect and admiration for competing as well as they do and maintaining their academic excellence. I still love watching the “Princeton” offense. It is truly beautiful. But please, best “ever”? Last time I checked ever was a really long time.

As for JRs posted article...call me jaded but reading any story generated by a polling blog, owned by ESPN and headquartered on Columbus Ave. NY, NY is dare I say...slanted? Thank you for sharing it, just not my cup of Joe I guess.

RKCKJHK!!!

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 months ago #17509 by HawkErrant
Geez, Hawknmo, don’t blow a gasket. This is an annual exercise that fills the time between Sunday and our team’s first game. This year just happens to be one of seriously ridiculous errors by the SC, and that is my focus.

BTW, the “best ever” label is not mine but comes from 538.com
538: Penn is history’s best 16
And even they say at the end that KU is probably going to win.

Rock Chalk!

More
6 years 1 month ago #17510 by JRhawk
Hawknmo - whether Penn is the best ever 16 seed is immaterial. Most everyone says they should not have been a 16 seed. They clearly are better (by anyone's metrics) than the rest of the current 16 seeds. KU should not be paired against them. Of course KU should win, but they don't need to have a tough first game. Don't want any "emergency situation" where Dok might have to play.