Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Self: KU hoping to have Azubuike available in ‘emergency’ role Thursday vs Penn

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #17477 by porthawk
This is hot off the press as of 12:21am EST

www2.kusports.com/news/2018/mar/13/self-...erg/?mens_basketball
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #17478 by HawkErrant
Clearly HCBS agrees with those saying Penn is way under seeded as a 16.

“I was really surprised when they showed up on the 16 line, and after watching them surprise turned to anger because they are not (a 16 seed).”

Here’s hoping Self is being overly cautious regarding Dok and the big guy can go if needed.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 2 months ago #17484 by NotOstertag
I see this being interpreted 2 ways:

1.) Dok is still hurt and we're hoping not to use him this weekend at all and don't want to tip our hand to the press.

2.) Dok is, in fact, mending well but if we can keep him from re-injuring it in what should be an inconsequential game against Penn, we'll rest him and give him an extra 2 days recovery time.

Hoping it's #2. Worst case is #1 and Dok is more hurt than anybody is letting on.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #17504 by porthawk
Azubuike update: Self says KU center is now a game-time decision for Thursday vs. Penn
www2.kusports.com/news/2018/mar/14/azubu...me-/?mens_basketball

More
6 years 2 months ago #17512 by newtonhawk
I attended the open practice yesterday and was curious to see how Dok was moving. He was admittedly not giving 100%, and understandably so. He did appear to move freely, and worked in ALL of the drills, which were mainly post up moves around the basket. At one point, I noticed he completed at least 12-15 reps of receiving a pass on the block and moving left or right for a jump hook. He did dunk a few, but none with any authority.

Also, knowing they were likely going to have another private practice in a local gym, which they did, no doubt caused all of them to take it a little easier. They were focused on getting a feel for the arena and establishing their shooting eye.

All in all, it was encouraging to see him working. The test will be game speed. It will not surprise me either way regarding his playing time.

As for the practice, my only disappointment was that they did not use their full 40 minute allotment, cutting it short by 8 minutes. :-( At the close, Self pointed to Cunliffe, and with the team crowded at midcourt, Sam took off toward the basket, doing a pretty impressive 360° dunk, send a frenzy through the crowd, and even the players. As the team exited the floor, Devonte ran back to midcourt to launch a shot, missing badly. Shot #2 was close, clanging off the rim, and #3 banked in, to the thrill of the 13,000+ fans in attendance.

Overall, it was a fun time!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, JRhawk, Bayhawk, porthawk

More
6 years 1 month ago #17513 by JRhawk
Thanks Newtonhawk - I had seen a story on KUSports about the big crowd (said nearly 14,000) at yesterday's practices. It didn't include the PS about Sam & Devonte.
Do you have tix for the games today?

More
6 years 1 month ago #17514 by newtonhawk
The attendance was radically boosted by around 5,000 local school kids in attendance. There were tons of buses. A whole side was reserved for them, and some of them were holding up signs. They really added to the atmosphere and the other teams' mascots were playing to the kids, to their delight. Several minutes before KU's entrance, the kids were chanting "KU" in unison. Even some of us old fogies got into it.

After KU's practice, most of the kids exited and I was told there were maybe 500 spectators for the later practices. I saw Penn, NC State, KU, and Seton Hall. I would have liked to stay for Michigan, but had other obligations.

Unfortunately, I will be watching from home today, but was glad to support the cause yesterday. If I wasn't leaving town Saturday morning, I would be tempted to snag a ticket from fans of an eliminated team.

Wichita seems to be doing a good job of hosting, and it will not surprise me if they get another bid down the road, so hopefully, I will have another chance in the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, Bayhawk, gorillahawk

More
6 years 1 month ago #17515 by JRhawk
Newtonhawk - Interesting that there were that many kids at the practice.- great opportunity for them. If you had tickets, my next ? was going to be how did you procure them. I attempted to buy online the second the NCAA early sale opened, but were never any available - many, many attempts later, same result.

About future NCAA games in Wichita, check the year 2021 on this link - also note the West Regional in Denver that year - yea.
http://www.ncaa.org/championships/future-division-i-mens-basketball-championship-sites

More
6 years 1 month ago #17516 by newtonhawk
JR - Thanks for the link! That's great looking ahead to 2021!

The local TV stations were monitoring ticket availability and were suggesting Stubhub or Vividseats. I haven't been to either to know what was available. I have a friend who picked up a couple ot tickets to the eving games today for only $35/ea. NC State vs. Seton Hall should be a pretty good game.

More
6 years 1 month ago #17518 by JRhawk
Thanks Newtonhawk - yes know Vividseats and Primesport have tix now. Also know the NCAA was selling packages several months before their early sale, of course at 2 1/2+ times face value.
Will watch on my laptop - hope KU is on fire.