Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Announcers for KU @tu -- Walton & Pasch?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11855 by HawkErrant
Bill Walton and Dave Pasch normally do Pac-12 games, but I read elsewhere that during last night's UCLA-ASU game Walton mentioned he and his partner will be calling Kansas-Texas tomorrow.

Should be a refreshing change.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 months ago #11859 by porthawk
Definitely refreshing.

Just be ready for Walton to talk about life, politics, his time at UCLA, and whole lotta non-KU/TX stuff. I watched a little of the Cal/Oregon game and Pasch (or whoever his partner was) kept having to redirect him back to the game.

I have to tell you though, I do enjoy listening to him pontificate when announcing. Will be interesting to see how I feel about him doing it during a KU game.

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago #11861 by HawkErrant
Apparently he has a lotta love and respect for Wilt, so that'll give him a leg up with KU fans from the start.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 2 months ago #11870 by sasnak
And here I didn't think it could get any worse. Walton is awful. Whenever I catch a U of A game he is just embarrassing.
I have to work tomorrow so now I know I won't watch the game when I get home

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

More
7 years 2 months ago #11874 by newtonhawk
I'm with sasnak. The few P12 games I have watched while he is pontificating about the P12 being the "Conference of Champions" has made me ill. I will likely be watching with the volume turned down if he is announcing. Those of you who are brave enough to listen can let the rest of us know how he did. ;-)
#mutewalton

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11875 by Wheatstate Gal
Hey, Sistah, Sas.....

I couldn't agree w you more. After KU-TCU I tried to watch a bit of Cal v Oregon.

A) bill Walton LOOKED like he'd just finished a shift w the Cal campus landscape crew -- although it may have been some sort of commemorative tee shirt and did he have paint on his face?
b) and even tho my Bayhawk sis in law and my Boss are Cal Alums, the game was televised from Haas on the Cal campus, AND I spent 18 great mos at a job on that campus as well as my beloved Hawks had just clinched #13 in a row......

I watched w the sound off. He is becoming a vitale in my opinion.....just less decibels. He wears thin.

Although my RCB GENTS, I respect your opinion if you find him refreshing. .I just find him simply annoying and awful.

"May need coffee and a snickers". ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak

More
7 years 2 months ago #11877 by RobS
So what's the over/under on how long it takes for Walton to mention KU's record against UCLA. Or do you think he'll not mention it since we aren't playing UCLA?

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

• wardhawk
More
7 years 2 months ago #11880 by wardhawk
I've heard him a few times and as a result I will be listening to the KU homers for sure. He is a make over of Dickie Boy, talks about everything but the game and the teams playing the game.

Wardhawk

More
7 years 2 months ago #11881 by porthawk
My guess is that it will be mentioned before tip-off.

If it IS mentioned before tip-off, then I say it'll be brought up again before the first TV timeout.
If it is NOT mentioned before tip-off, then I say before the clock hits 19:00 minutes remaining.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago #11890 by HawkErrant
To be honest, I wonder if the person reporting Walton's comments misunderstood him. UCLA plays at UofA right after our game, making me wonder who would be covering that game if Walton were covering ours?

Maybe they are doing a late season switch for a little variety?

I don't know.

I do not recall ever hearing Walton cover a game before, but if the consensus here proves to be an accurate assessment (and I rarely, if ever, doubt the consensus opinion of my fellow RCBers), I will be finishing the game with the TV on "mute" as well.

Main thing -- let's go JAYHAWKS! Bring it on home to our house!

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11891 by Bayhawk
kuathletics.leanplayer.com

Maybe not the best, and certainly not Max F., but it will preserve whatever sanity we have left after all the legal distractions. :S

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Bayhawk.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11896 by RobS
5 minutes into the game, does anyone want to rethink their tolerance of Walton?

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11897 by Bayhawk
RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 2 months ago #11905 by porthawk
Yeah, this is pretty over-the-top...even for him.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11906 by NYCJayhawk
Someone just give Walton some better weed, and turn off his mic.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11912 by newtonhawk
Well, not only was it difficult to listen, causing me to indeed mute the audio, but espn also made it difficult to watch!!! They must really think Walton is something to behold ... split screen?! C'mon man!!! Let's hope he stays out west.

Honestly, the hawks were a bit difficult to watch in the 2nd half. I know that HCBS encourages them to play with a free mind, but they appeared a little too free with all of the errant passes.

Glad to get the conference crown outright. Senior night should be a lot of fun.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11913 by Allen
Split screen was so maddening! I want to watch KU basketball not a picture of two men talking! I couldn't believe it when he took his shirt off! Good grief.

In the first part of the game he said he didn't think it was a big deal for KU to win 13 straight conference championships. In the 2nd half he said it was. Wonder what he was smoking?

"When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice." President Trump

More
7 years 2 months ago #11919 by murphyslaw
I agree with the assessment. It was definitely hard to watch with the Bill Walton show competing for air time. ESPN will get lots of complaints, I'm sure. Just hope and pray he doesn't get to be associated with any more Kansas games--EVER!

And yes, the split screen was maddening, and I for one didn't want to see any part of his body bared!

More
7 years 2 months ago #11929 by BadgerHawk
www.espn.com/espn/customercare/tvindex

Let's let them know how we feel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, KMT

More
7 years 2 months ago #11931 by sasnak
So the A team was here. No way they'd let Walton call that one esp since it was Arizona and UCLA.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting