Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Tracking KUMBB's Winningest Coaches Rankings

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #9991 by HawkErrant
As I noted in an earlier post, with a very successful regular and postseason run this year, BIll Self can pass Roy Williams for second place in the All-Time WInningest KUMBB coaches rankings.

As of 2016-12-18,
HCBS needs 24 more wins to pass RW, and there are
20 Regular season games left,
3 Big 12 Tournament wins possible, and
6 NCAA Tournament wins possible.
TOP 3 WINNINGEST COACHES IN KUMBB HISTORY

WON-LOST HEAD COACH   (W-L%)   Self's Projected Pass Year*
590-219  Phog Allen   (.729)   2023?
418-101  Roy Williams (.805)   2017?
395- 84  Bill Self    (.825)

*The "Passing Phog" projection assumes KU averages 30 wins a year from the 2016-17 season on.
(31-6 is the average W-L record for Self KUMBB teams over last 10 seasons [2007 thru 2016])

As also noted in the earlier post linked above, if KU can make the Final Four this year, Self will be one short of tying RW for most FF appearances at KU. He could then tie Roy -- in the same 15 year time frame -- with another FF run next season! Phog only had 3 FF appearances in the 18 years -- 1939 to 1956 -- he had a chance to get KU there. Of course, while RW had 4 FF appearances in 15 years, Phog actually won an NCAA title (1952) during his KU career and made the title game every time his team made the FF (1940, 1952, 1953). RW-s teams only made the title game twice in his 4 FF appearances, and he never won it all, so...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.