Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Self on pace to pass Williams' KU record by year end.

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 4 months ago #9814 by HawkErrant
As we all know by now, Self's career win 600 was his KU win 393. He is just 7 short of 400 wins at KU, and 25 short of tying RW for #2 on KU's all time wins list at 418 (second only to Phog's 590 KU wins).

Bill already has won more conference games at KU than RW did, and he did it in 2 fewer seasons (179 in 13 seasons to 175 in 15 seasons).

With 22 regular season games left in AY2016-17, and a possible 9 post-season games, he could pass RW this year for second place. If KU were to make both the Big 12 Tournament title game and the NCAA Tournament title game this year, KU could lose up to 4 more games during the regular season and Self could still tie or pass Williams at 418.

Also of note, if KU can make the Final Four this year, Self will be one short of tying RW for most FF appearances at KU, and in the same 15 year time frame. (Phog only had 3 FF appearances in the 18 years -- 1939 to 1956 -- he had a chance to get KU there . RW had 4 in 15 years, but of course, Phog won an NC at KU and RW did not, so...).

Best of luck to HCBS and the boys!

Roy Williams in 15 seasons at KANSAS
OVERALL         CONFERENCE     FF Appearances          NCAA TITLES
418-101 0.805	175-49  0.781  1991, 1993, 2002, 2003  none

BILL SELF in his 14th season at KANSAS as of 2016-12-07
OVERALL         CONFERENCE     FF Appearances          NCAA TITLES
393-84  0.824	179-39 0.821   2008, 2012              2008

22 = Remaining regular season games, 2016-17 (Non Conf: 4, Big 12: 18)
3 = Possible Big 12 Tournament games
6 = Possible NCAA Tournament games
31 = total possible games remaining for AY2016-17
25 = Wins needed for Self to at least tie RW for second with 418 all-time wins at KU.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, CorpusJayhawk, hairyhawk, murphyslaw, DocHawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 4 months ago #9827 by BadgerHawk
So does Self passing Roy on conference wins well ahead of total wins indicate that a) the conference is weaker than it used to be, or b) Self is scheduling more tough non-conference games? I'm inclined towards tougher non-conference scheduling under Self, but I could be letting the fairly recent Champions Classic cloud my memory.

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 4 months ago #9828 by HawkErrant

BadgerHawk wrote: So does Self passing Roy on conference wins well ahead of total wins indicate that a) the conference is weaker than it used to be, or b) Self is scheduling more tough non-conference games? I'm inclined towards tougher non-conference scheduling under Self, but I could be letting the fairly recent Champions Classic cloud my memory.

B

Recent history has shown the B12 to be one of the tougher conferences in the country, which would refute A -- and which only makes the 12 straight years KU has been champ or co-champ that much more impressive. And remember that KU no longer has NU, CU and mOO to beat up on during the conference season, and has to play a full round robin schedule instead of just the arguably historically weaker B12N opponents 2x while only playing the B12S teams once each season, which would also weaken any argument for A.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 4 months ago #9829 by BadgerHawk
This was my feeling also. Just trying to make sure I'm not letting my love of Self color my recollection too much. Have I said how much I love having Self as our coach? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 4 months ago #9988 by HawkErrant
2003-4 thru 2010-11 (Self's KU years when the Big 12 = 12 teams)		
KU versus			
B12 South	W	L	
 A&M		9	1	
 BU		8	1	
 OU		8	1	
 OSU		7	4	
 TU		8	5	
 TT		6	3	
subtotal	46	15	.754
B12North			
 CU		17	0	
 ISU		14	2	
 KSU		16	3	
 MU		14	3	
 NU		17	1	
subtotal	78	9	.897
TOTAL		124	24	.838

2011-12 thru CYTD (Self's KU years when the Big 12 = 10 teams)					
TEAM		W	L	
 BU		11	2	
 ISU		8	5	
 KSU		10	2	
 OU		8	2	
 OSU		7	4	
 TU		9	1	
 TT		11	0	
 TCU		8	1	
 WVU		6	3	
Current Teams	78	20	.796
 A&M		3	0	
 MU		1	1	
All Teams	82	21	.796

Above data is thru games of 2016-12-18.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk