Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

AY2016-17 KUMBB Recruiting UPDATED 2017-08-12

More
7 years 6 days ago #13436 by JRhawk
Not to be too argumentative at this hour of the morning, but I fail to see how using scholarships for transfers who have to sit for a year is ever good recruiting - just MHO.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 days ago #13438 by DrJHawker
JR, I understand your logic, however, a lot of people wanted these four kids and KU ended up with them. Apparently, D. Lawson was the most desirable transfer in all of college basketball this year and he's coming to Lawrence. We don't know what Self knows and he thought this was his best move and he got them.

We know in the Self system you have 8-9 guys who basically get all the minutes. It may have been the choice between a not as talented freshmen who sits the bench a couple years or a former McD All-American who averaged nearly 20 points and 10 rebounds a game in D1 and plays big minutes his first year at KU. Considering that likely option, it doesn't seem like such bad recruiting to me. Maybe we ought to wait and see Newman play next year before deciding if this strategy is sometimes the way to go. I think with Newman it most certainly will be. We'll see with the Lawson brothers.

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 6 days ago #13439 by HawkErrant
Let me know if this is not a public article and I will paraphrase the highlights later in the day after finishing my in-laws taxes. Bios and other info.

JayhawkSlant article

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 6 days ago #13440 by HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk

More
7 years 6 days ago #13441 by NotOstertag
Sounds like a good pickup even if they have to sit out for a year. I get JR's question about using the scholarship, but I'm sure that Self looks at his own "player pipeline" and reacts accordingly.

Example: Legerald Vick. As a freshman he played 4.8 minutes a game and averaged 2.1 ppg. This year he was a regular contributor in the rotation and averaged 24.4 minutes and 7.4 ppg. Vick's (and many other freshmen) first year is often highlighted by sparse minutes on the floor, but a LOT of work in practice.

Looking out into the future, Self knows who he's got coming next year (for the most part), has a fairly good idea of where his recruiting is at for the following year (knows what he wants/needs), and probably has a rough forecast of what the team MIGHT look like 3 years from now.

So if Self looks at these guys and compares him to a typical "really good" freshman (not a super-get like Jackson) and the brothers are already seasoned. Dedric averaged a virtual double double (19.2 ppg, 9.9 boards) and will have 2 years left after he sits. KJ averaged 12.3 ppg and 8.1 boards. Memphis plays a legitimate schedule, so it's safe to assume that we can expect similar production here....but they'll both get a full year of learning Self's system in practice.

To me the choice was a good one: lock down 2 known producers for the 2018-19 season vs. recruit two typical "really good" KU recruits who won't see the floor much anyway next year, and this is a great choice.

In the end, the choice comes down to picking a freshman that you hope can take "the big step" up to being productive vs. somebody who has already taken that step. Self took the latter here and probably feels relatively comfortable with his 2017-18 roster and knows who he's still got a chance of landing.

BTW, I was very critical of Self picking up Tarik Black for 1 season, and he ended up being one of my favorite players in a long time. If Tarik is advising these kids, all the better.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 6 days ago #13442 by Wheatstate Gal
NotO said: "BTW, I was very critical of Self picking up Tarik Black for 1 season, and he ended up being one of my favorite players in a long time. If Tarik is advising these kids, all the better."

This is only ONE of the reasons I LOVE this board....we say OOPS, my judgement was off on this one.
AND then we don't have a feeding frenzy ...........

As I was driving to work this morning, I noticed that I haven't changed my car clock to DST. I was thinking, can I wait until October/November? then I thought of BB season being so far away. :-(

I never can recall how to change the darned clock....have to get the book out! doh!

I really miss you guys in the off season.....no matter HOW hard we try to muster enthusiasm for football. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag, murphyslaw

More
7 years 6 days ago - 7 years 6 days ago #13444 by porthawk
nm
Last Edit: 7 years 6 days ago by porthawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
7 years 6 days ago #13445 by NotOstertag
Thanks! How many days until late night? :)

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

More
7 years 6 days ago #13446 by porthawk
Love the reaction of the bench!

More
7 years 6 days ago #13447 by porthawk
What do you think this means? I'm genuinely not sure.

Keelon Lawson also said seeing the way the KU coaching staff handled the transfer of Malik Newman benefited the Jayhawks.

More
7 years 6 days ago #13448 by JRhawk
DrJH - excellent point about HCBS only playing 8-9 guys. I withdraw all objections to the transfers. :-) After further reflection, it makes sense to have quality guys in the wings, but who can't play in a given year. That should minimize quality guys transferring because they don't get minutes.
I like that Coach Pastner called the Lawson's "good character people". Also great that TB talked up KU.
Am definitely looking forward to seeing Newman play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
7 years 5 days ago #13451 by Bayhawk
You have to "spring forward" so it should continuously flash "1:00" where it used to flash "12:00" . . . :P

Miss you too, but I'm not over the last season yet. I need a few months to feel "clean" again,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
7 years 5 days ago #13453 by NotOstertag
I still remember that dunk. Absolutely ridiculous,and GREAT reaction! Thanks for posting, made me smile.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 5 days ago #13455 by Wheatstate Gal
BAY--

You CRACK me up, My Friend. Too funny!

WSG

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 4 days ago #13468 by HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 4 days ago #13474 by HawkErrant
Now that the Lawson brothers are coming, there is 1, at most 2 (if Svi stays in the NBA draft) scholarships available for next season.
(see updated OP)

OTHER CURRENT PROSPECTS BEING DISCUSSED

1. Tait article Matt Tait notes KU interest in Brewster Academy SG Thomas Allen, recently upgraded by Rivals to **** and jumped from #149 to #99.

2. Shay WIldeboor of Rivals notes that KU is meeting with 6-10/235 F/C Jeremiah Tilmon (Rivals #42 ****) this Friday, April 15. Tilmon was recently granted release from his commitment to the Illini, and everyone has been talking about how the East St Louis kid is heading to play for new mOO coach Cuonzo Martin. This JayhawkSlant notice is the first serious indicator that KU may be making a play for him again now that he's back on the market.

3. Info from a post on JayhawkSlant concerning a recent interview with top PG prospect Trevon Duval:

Regarding Kansas -- game atmosphere was an 11. Duke was a 10. Unbelievable.
Need someone to come in and kind of take Frank’s spot.
Doesn't matter that Graham or Newman are there, can play with anyone.
"As long as everyone plays the game the right way, I’m not worried about playing with anyone."

Sounds very encouraging.

Stay tuned.

More
7 years 4 days ago #13477 by Kong

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
7 years 3 days ago #13479 by Bayhawk
My old ears couldn't understand what he said, but perhaps it's best . . . .? :unsure:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 3 days ago #13480 by porthawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, murphyslaw

More
7 years 3 days ago #13481 by sasnak
I am still offering my services as housemother to dial these young men in.
Seriously, someone needs to dial them in. I don't care how talented they are if they are totally classless. I want this last year to be the exception and not the new character of our team.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal