Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

Steinem and Albright Rebuke Young Women Backing Sanders

• boulderhawk
  • boulderhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3555 by boulderhawk
If I was a woman, I'd feel insulted.

www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/us/politics/g...ie-sanders.html?_r=0

From the NY Times article:

“We can tell our story of how we climbed the ladder, and a lot of you younger women think it’s done,” Ms. Albright said of the broader fight for women’s equality. “It’s not done. There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other!”

Ms. Steinem, 81, one of the most famous spokeswomen of the feminist movement, took the sentiment a step further on Friday in an interview with the talk show host Bill Maher. Explaining that women tend to become more active in politics as they become older, she suggested that younger women were backing Mr. Sanders just so they could meet young men.

“When you’re young, you’re thinking: ‘Where are the boys? The boys are with Bernie,’ ” Ms. Steinem said.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #3824 by DocBlues
Both women have since apologized. We can move on now.

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3837 by boulderhawk
You were willing to ignore their ridiculous statements and move on even before their half-a**ed apologies, but if they were Republicans, .....

More
8 years 2 months ago #3849 by DocBlues
Both Steinem and Albright APOLOGIZED. What else would you have them do? If I were a candidate, I'd much rather have endorsements from these 2 women than from the KKK and other white supremacist groups. Want to talk about THOSE endorsements for Trump? No one in the gop seems willing to even acknowledge them.

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3856 by boulderhawk
It's the first that I've heard of it. So, should Trump and the GOP thank them? What are you trying to say? And how do you compare some crazy fringe groups' unwanted endorsements to these insulting, to women, comments from two prominent feminists? Bernie will probably get the endorsement of the American Communist Party, so should the Democratic Party acknowledge that endorsement if it happens, or just ignore it?

More
8 years 2 months ago #3860 by DocBlues
Then you're not paying attention -- or getting all your news from Faux. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill with the Steinem/Albright incident.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3908 by DocBlues
Do you really want to have a discussion about absurd statements that have been made in this campaign? Think about it.

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3980 by boulderhawk
Doc wrote, "Then you're not paying attention -- or getting all your news from Faux." Since this thread started with me posting an article from the New York Times, I think one could conclude that I'm not getting all my news from Fox.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3989 by DocBlues
My error. But it's still much ado about nothing. I'm far more interested in what the candidates have to say rather than the celebrities who support them. Speaking of which, how did you like the gop "debate" last night. It was more like a "demolition derby" than a "debate." i'd be embarrassed if i was a republican.

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3997 by boulderhawk
Doc wrote, " i'd be embarrassed if i was a republican." I too would be embarrassed if you were a Republican.

The debates are chaotic and unruly because of Trump, who is far from being your typical politician. Of course, typical politicians haven't done too well at running our country.

My two favorites are still Rubio and Cruz.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by boulderhawk.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4004 by DocBlues
People with weak arguments often resort to insults; you and your candidates exemplify this maxim.

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4005 by boulderhawk
Doc wrote, "People with weak arguments often resort to insults." I definitely agree with that statement. I saw it many times on the old "Off Topics" board.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4040 by DocBlues
Speaking of the old board, I wonder where Allen is?

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4060 by boulderhawk
There's a rumor that she has been doing volunteer work for the Sanders' campaign.

I hope she returns to the Off Topics/Politics board. Murphy too.