Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

Steps forward

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 years 10 months ago #25611 by HawkErrant
The more I read about the problems with voting across the country, the more upset I get with Republicans who try to suppress the vote, starting with voter registration and including making it hard to vote even if you are a registered voter.

The fiasco in Georgia is just another example of a system built to discourage voting.

34 states & DC don’t require an excuse to vote absentee/by mail. 5 states vote entirely by mail (Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah and Washington), a ballot is automatically sent to every registered voter. The other 29 states & DC offer “no-excuse” absentee voting — any voter can request a mail ballot.

And from what I’ve read elsewhere, routinely operating “mail only” voting is actually less expensive for states to do, even in years without the added costs of protecting the voting public and poll workers from a pandemic.

But it is much harder to suppress the vote in “mail only” systems.

(And, of course, a fully functional national mail system would be needed to ensure the system worked. Wait, we already have one of those in the USPS, so that problem isn’t a problem... right?)

Thankfully Kansas is a “no excuse” mail voting state. Anna, her mom and I have taken advantage of it before and will do so this year.

And some folks in Lawrence are making it easier for people to register.
www2.ljworld.com/news/general-news/2020/...stration-initiative/

Moving forward, a step at a time.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.