Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

Mixed emotions

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11691 by murphyslaw
As much as I disrespect the SCROTUS and maintain the denial of his EVER being MY president, the consequences of his being impeached and thus Pence becoming his successor are troubling, to be sure.

On one hand, war looms as Der Gropenfuhrer continues to alienate our closest allies and dances with Russian wolves. The fate of the present news media is in danger, Democracy is threatened, and he sees his own lies as the only truth.

On the other hand, Pence would fling us into the past with the complete cooperation of his cohorts, rendering the word progressive extinct. Voting rights, women's rights, the environment, narrowing the gap between the rich and the poor--all would be
doomed under his tenure.

Any thoughts on which we could better tolerate/survive?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 months ago #11703 by boulderhawk
What close allies are we about to go to war against?

Pence does sound terrible, so let's keep The Donald.

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11708 by murphyslaw
I must have worded that incorrectly. What I failed to say was that he isn't skilled in diplomacy and that may lead us into war. I didn't intend to say war looms with our closest allies, only that he continues to alienate countries who've stood with us for decades.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11727 by boulderhawk
Murphy wrote, "he continues to alienate countries who've stood with us for decades." What countries are you talking about? He has already patched things up with Israel and England.

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11731 by murphyslaw
How 'bout Mexico? Worst relations in 20 years. England didn't want Trump to visit Parliament--have they changed their minds?

We've insulted Australia and broadcast a story about Sweden which never happened.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
7 years 1 month ago #12374 by rainyhawk
I am going with pence as the lesser evil. My friends and I have discussed this quite a bit. The consensus is that while pence may take us back to the dark ages on things like voting and women's rights, abortion rights and lgbtq issues, he's less likely to tweet us into a world war. And he understands how government works. My biggest concern is trumps inability to control himself and his actions and he has zero understanding of what the president does, how the world works and how government works. Whatever pence could do could most likely be undone by future presidents but not if trump gets us into a war first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DocBlues

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12384 by murphyslaw
Good points, RainyHawk. Better to have some of our rights temporarily withheld than risk another disastrous war.

The many protests we see today probably wouldn't compare with the amount of women, especially, who would stand against Pence's archaic policies.

It truly is scary to have a president with no impulse control. (I'm not sure if "president" should begin with a capital, but in this case, is doesn't deserve it.)