Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

To stay otherwise occupied

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 4 months ago #10074 by murphyslaw
before and during the Inauguration, and not having visiting privileges with the many A-Listers who've refused to perform for the Creepy One, I plan on a DVD marathon.

Sully is one of the few new available rentals, so I'd appreciate movie recommendations from folks on the board. I'm not into the recent Star Wars episodes, fantasy movies, or animation films.

How 'bout it, movie fans?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 4 months ago #10075 by boulderhawk
We recently rented Florence Foster Jenkins from Redbox. It was good, unique, and based on a true story. Starring Hugh Grant, Meryl Streep. and Simon Helberg, who plays Howard on The Bing Bang Theory.

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 4 months ago #10077 by murphyslaw
Thank you, Boulder, but I just rented this a few days ago! Years ago I had a
VCR of Florence Foster Jenkins, but I never knew the back story.

I think Streep should be up for an Oscar, don't you?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

More
7 years 4 months ago #10084 by boulderhawk
I haven't seen many of the latest movies, Murphy, but as always, Streep was very good.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 4 months ago #10137 by HawkErrant
If you have Netflix, there are some great TV shows there -- complete seasons, and in some cases complete series - for marathon viewing.

A short one (4 eps) we just finished is Dr. Thorne. Developed and screenplay written by Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes (novel written by Anthony Trollope). If you like DA, you will probably like DT (and recognize an actor or two you would have seen in the former.

The Crown is on my list to watch as well. Getting rave reviews.

We also adore Death in Paradise, about a typical British Detective Inspector humourously (it is Brit, after all) solving murder cases in the not so typical Caribbean island setting of Saint Marie (a fictitious island, show is actually filmed on the very real island of Guadeloupe). Four seasons on Netflix so far, still waiting for S5 from Jan-Mar 2016 (S6 will start in GB next month, no sign of it in USA yet).

And if you like Brit police shows, "Lewis" (probably our personal favorite) is simply smashing.

I know you said no "fantasy", but... f you have Amazon Prime, I can highly recommend the sci-ti alternate reality series The Man in the High Castle. Season 2 is now available and proving to be even better than S1. Based on a Phillip K Dick story about a world where Germany and Japan won WWII (or did they?!?) and the former United States is now split in two, west of the Rockies ruled by Japan, east by the Greater Reich.

If you want a solid film to borrow/rent (don't forget about borrowing from your public library!), we can heartily recommend Hidalgo for something a little different.

Oh, a pitch for Library borrowing -- the Lawrence Public Library has all the seasons of Game of Thrones. Yes!

Oh, oh... back to Julian Fellowes for a wonderful movie -- Gosfield Park, set in GBritain in 1932. Another murder mystery to enjoy.

Hope this helps some!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 4 months ago #10155 by murphyslaw
Great suggestions, Sir HawkE! I do have Netflix and will check out several of the series you mentioned.

The Leavenworth Library is great in many ways but doesn't have much of a movie selection; however, I own many classics and it's a good time to dust them off and enjoy them again.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant