Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

Republicans dominate State & Federal Governments

• boulderhawk
  • boulderhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9250 by boulderhawk
I seem to recall discussions on this board about the bleak future of the Republican Party. Perhaps you should be more concerned about the future of your own party.

www.dailykos.com/story/2016/11/14/159891...res-and-33-governors

From the Daily Kos article:

The above map illustrates the balance of legislative power in state legislatures nationwide. Republicans control both chambers in 32 states, including 17 with veto-proof majorities. Those 32 states cover 61 percent of the U.S. population. Democrats, meanwhile, control the legislature in just 13 states, amounting to 28 percent of the country’s population; only four of those chambers have veto-proof majorities.

With a firm grip on the presidency, Congress, and soon the Supreme Court, Republicans have won more political power in 2016 than in any election since at least 1928, when Herbert Hoover was elected to the White House.

As shown above, Republicans now control the governor’s office in 33 states, amounting to 60 percent of the population, while Democrats control just 16 states with 40 percent of the population. (Alaska has an independent governor supported by the Democrats.) Republicans now hold a greater number of governor’s offices than they have in several generations.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #9251 by murphyslaw
No doubt about it, Dems got thrashed.

However, I'm not worried about "my" party's future. There are too many promising young hopefuls plus tested veterans who'll continue the battle.
It may take some time, but America eventually should return to the days before the Moral Majority came out of the woodwork.
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by murphyslaw. Reason: unclear meaning

More
7 years 5 months ago #9253 by kslib72
The republican party died...it's now the new Nazi Party. Congrats to Boulder and the rest of you! The pride must be oozing out of your brownshirt uniforms.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9256 by DocBlues
A significant segment of the electorate repeatedly votes against its one best interests. Kansas is a perfect example. Alas, all that loud talk about "draining the swamp" was empty rhetoric.

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9257 by boulderhawk
Murphy wrote: "However, I'm not worried about "my" party's future." We agree on this, Murph, I'm not worried about your party's future either.

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9258 by boulderhawk
You're a great representative of your party and ideology, kslib.

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9259 by boulderhawk
Doc wrote: "A significant segment of the electorate repeatedly votes against its one best interests. Kansas is a perfect example." It must be frustrating to live in a country full of idiots. How did we ever become a world power?

Then Doc wrote: "Alas, all that loud talk about "draining the swamp" was empty rhetoric." The swamp will be drained when the Obama regime leaves the executive branch. What did you think draining the swamp meant? Did you think that the Republicans wanted to lose the House & Senate?

More
7 years 5 months ago #9260 by kslib72
Go ahead and justify his apparent appointment of Bannon. The guy has publicly declared that we need to rid America of Jews. He called all liberal women worthless dykes. He declares that hate is a good thing. He has made no attempt to hide his hatred of blacks. He wants women to obey their husbands and if not married, then they aren't up to his standards. He publicly acknowledge his hatred of homosexuals. Please Boulder explain why I shouldn't feel this way?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DocBlues

More
7 years 5 months ago #9261 by DocBlues
"Draining the swamp" is Trumplodyte lingo. Obama hasn't been the the problem for the past 8 years: the House and Senate has been the problem. How's your stock portfolio been doing for the past 8 years?

More
7 years 5 months ago #9268 by kslib72
Now it seems Mr. Bannon is also a domestic abuser! What a guy.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9304 by kslib72
Go ahead Boulder, justify this man. If not keep you're opinions about me to yourself!

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9322 by boulderhawk
I thought my response to being called a Nazi was very restrained, kslib. I try to stay above the fray, but you make it difficult.

I first heard the name Steve Bannon just a few days ago. I used to read Breitbart some when Andrew was still alive, but not since. I didn't realize that it had gone so kooky right.

I've been trying to read up on him, but couldn't find much on what you've accused him of saying. The things he says are often not politically correct, but if you are a stickler of political correctness, you will not be happy with this administration. Bannon wouldn't be my first pick to be a part of the administration, but since he was largely responsible for The Donald's amazing primary and general election victories, I can see why he would want to keep him aboard.

Here is an interview with liberal, Jewish, Harvard law professor, Alan Dershowitz. He seems to agree with me on Bannon:

Dershowitz: I have not seen evidence that Bannon is anti-Semitic

www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/11/...ck_lives_matter.html

Here is more on what Bannon has said:

Five Steve Bannon Quotes That Should Disqualify Him As Trump’s Chief Strategist

www.cbsnews.com/news/quotes-from-steve-b...se-chief-strategist/

Would you link me to some sites that support the statements that you've credited Bannon with?

More
7 years 5 months ago #9326 by kslib72
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

More
7 years 5 months ago #9328 by murphyslaw
Couldn't get the first link to work--must be a right-wing conspiracy!

More
7 years 5 months ago #9329 by kslib72
I'll try again later.

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9330 by boulderhawk
I saw the Policy Mic article yesterday in my search. It lists controversial articles published on the Breitbart site, but not quotes of what he has said or written, such as what you've mentioned below.

kslib wrote: "The guy has publicly declared that we need to rid America of Jews. He called all liberal women worthless dykes. He declares that hate is a good thing. He has made no attempt to hide his hatred of blacks. He wants women to obey their husbands and if not married, then they aren't up to his standards. He publicly acknowledge his hatred of homosexuals." Where did you find this information?

More
7 years 5 months ago #9336 by kslib72
I take it you're ok with the quotes I listed. You're kind of guy!

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #9382 by boulderhawk
No I'm not! Did you even read my previous post?

I can't find anywhere that Bannon wrote or said the things that you credit him for. Please come up with the proof. I don't agree with the direction that he took Breitbart after Andrew's death, but I can't find that Bannon wrote or said the things that you say he did.
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by boulderhawk. Reason: changed a word

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9403 by boulderhawk
Since it appears that you can't link me to any proof that Bannon said or wrote the statements that you have credited him for, where did you come up with the statements?