Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

Political yard signs

• boulderhawk
  • boulderhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 6 months ago #9041 by boulderhawk
I can't remember a presidential election when I've seen such a lack of political yard signs, or bumper stickers. Here in Boulder County, there are usually a lot of signs backing the Democratic candidates, but not this year. I think it must be a sign that many members of both parties are not that enthused with their candidates.

Are you noticing the same in your neighborhoods?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 6 months ago #9042 by murphyslaw
Actually, it's just the opposite here in Leavenworth city and county, and there appear to be more Democrat signs, which is heartening. Governor B-back has decimated the budget, severely hurt the schools, farmers' economical well-being, etc., etc., so I hope this indicates Kansans are waking up to reality.

My sis lives in Larimer County, and she believes Colorado will go Democratic this year. What do you think?

More
7 years 6 months ago #9043 by DocBlues
Very few signs in my neighborhood. I don't know if it's because people are soured on the election or if they don't put signs out for fear of them being stolen.

More
7 years 6 months ago #9045 by kslib72
I had a Bernie sign in my window and on my cars. Honestly I'm more than a little afraid of the wacko Trump supporters. They are cowards at heart, but might be willing to do damage in the darkness. I read a story about women that are hiding their support of Clinton because they fear their family members that are rabid Trump supporters. How sad is that?

More
7 years 6 months ago #9053 by Allen
We have a couple signs in our yard for Kansas Senator and Representative. One is a friend of the Duke's and the other is an acquaintance we have known for a long time. They are both from here in McPherson. We were offered a Trump yard sign, I told the Duke--NO WAY. No need to invite vandalism at our home! I have seen how Trump supporters are treated. It's scary.

"When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice." President Trump

More
7 years 6 months ago #9060 by DocBlues
How are Trump supporters treated and where did you see this treatment?

More
7 years 6 months ago #9061 by kslib72
Hey looky here Allen is voting for Trump. Guess you're ok with racism, bigotry, misogyny, anti-Semitic, lying, cheating, sexual predators, bully behavior. How about you send YOUR family to the war that Trump will surely start. Oh and no worries he won't be grabbing your genitals. You're way too old and not pretty enough for him.

More
7 years 6 months ago #9063 by Kong
No need to personally attack another poster.

We get it, you hate Trump and his supporters. But that doesn't mean that any of us have to attack another person on such a personal level. You really aren't representing your candidate very well here.

How about a quick apology.

As for the original question, I have noticed it as well. I have also noticed both sides doing stupid things with signs. Trump supporter placing Trump signs right in front of Hillary signs. A Hillary supporter pulling up Trump signs and laying them flat. The person across the street from me is a long time Democrat and always always has her sign out front and prominent. This year it is a small sign and not very noticeable. I asked her why and she said she was a Democrat and will support her party, but really isn't a big fan of Hillary's. So in answer to the original question that nobody particularly addressed, I think it is a general lack of enthusiasm for both candidates by a lot of their normal base. Add to is the nastiness of the campaign and I think a lot of people are disengaging.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
7 years 6 months ago #9064 by murphyslaw
Since you have expressed your political opinions here, I'm not sure if your post was delivered in keeping with those views or if it was given as a moderator.

I'm not familiar with the protocol, but if you had any issues as a moderator with my posts, I certainly would prefer that you addressed them to me privately rather than call me out publicly, so to speak.

Perhaps you could give me information as to a moderator's duties and how he (she) performs them. That would broaden my understanding.

More
7 years 6 months ago #9066 by Kong
That was just me speaking. No moderator issues with me as this is a far more open forum. I just felt that what kslib said was a bit over the line. If you don't think that comment was over the line, that is fine, but I would have said the same thing if I saw it towards you or Doc or Boulder or kslib. I just found the last comment to be far more uncivil than many comments in the past. And there has been a lot of uncivil comments by nearly everyone.

I am not certain why this place is the way it is. It is far more acceptable to attack people here than it would be on any other board. I just felt that kslib went over the line and as a person felt a need to say something.

If they disagree or you disagree, that is fine. But I felt a need to say something as just a regular poster.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
7 years 6 months ago #9067 by kslib72
Thanks Murphy. I responded (although it hasn't been posted yet). I can take it. :)

More
7 years 6 months ago #9068 by murphyslaw
No doubt that you can!

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 6 months ago #9070 by boulderhawk
Doc wrote: "How are Trump supporters treated and where did you see this treatment?"

I saw this on a local news station last night.

denver.cbslocal.com/2016/11/01/donald-tr...ire-denver-colorado/

Headline: Arsonist Sets Trump Campaign Sign On Fire, Endangers Entire Neighborhood

More
7 years 6 months ago #9071 by DocBlues
This happened yesterday in Greenville, MS. A black church torched and "Vote Trump" spray painted on it.
Attachments:

More
7 years 5 months ago #9074 by kslib72
I replied and it hasn't appeared yet, so I will try again.
1. My opinion is that if you support Donald then you have to be ok with racism, bigotry, misogyny, lying, cheating, bullying, sexual predators and over all bad people. You can say that you aren't any of these, but in truth you are ok with them.
2. Many years ago when I first began reading this site, I remember Allen making a big deal about not being able to hang out as a teenager with some girls because their dads thought Allen was too pretty. My remark was nothing more than a take on that.
I don't think I owe her an apology. I will however leave her alone.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9076 by Allen
Thanks, Kong for looking out for ALL of us on here. I wish we could all get along and be "friends" as fellow Jayhawk fans! I have a feeling that, unfortunately, it will not be possible.

I will admit, I was taken back a bit when I read this:

"Oh and no worries he won't be grabbing your genitals. You're way too old and not pretty enough for him."

An apology from kslib to me would not be sincere. However, this is not as bad as when she called me a "racist". I will not respond to her unless she apologies for that hateful, untrue remark directed towards me. I'm not expecting an apology for that either. I understand how difficult it can be to apologize to someone you do not like. I've done it and it is not easy. :(

And for the record, I never said I was "too pretty" in high school. What I actually said (and it was the truth) was that my best friend's dad in high school made her stop being friends with me because I was "blonde". He said blondes were troublemakers and a bad influence. He may have been right on that one! lol ;)

"When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice." President Trump

More
7 years 5 months ago #9084 by murphyslaw
I will respond with two viewpoints to your post, Allen: 1) Historically, you have always given at least as good as you got. 2) Depicting yourself as needing protection from us big, bad liberals is balderdash.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9087 by Allen
If I ever personally attacked someone with vulgar comments and criticized their looks or age, I humbly apologize. That would have been crude and uncalled for on my part.

Kong was not protecting me and if I gave that impression, it was not intended. My interpretation of what Kong posted:: We should all be civil and try to be tolerant of our fellow Jayhawks, Americans and humanity in general, despite our disagreements. Obviously, you interpreted it differently.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #9089 by Kong
I wasn't protecting Allen, nor did she ask me too. I was calling for a bit more civil behavior as I felt that comment was not just over the line, but way over the line. Not as a mod, but as an adult human being.

I have seen Allen dish it out and often disagree with her. But I have also seen you and Doc team up and egg her on. I find that a bit ironic as most liberals openly portray that they are tolerant and accepting, I guess unless it confronts their viewpoint. Doesn't matter to me. if everyone likes each other, hates each other or anywhere in between. i just think we should be civil to one another.

You have called me condescending on numerous occasions. Don't think I am, but have apologized when you felt offended by my comments as that is not what was intended. I guess since you believe that it is okay to treat others with such gross disrespect I can assume that you do not mind being treated the same way. Is that what you are saying? Are you saying that just because you can dish it out, people should not be civil towards you?

Just trying to figure out the rules you want to play by

Visualize Whirled Peas
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Kong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

• boulderhawk
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9092 by boulderhawk
Another local situation.

www.thedenverchannel.com/news/politics/t...in-denver-vandalized

Trump campaign office in Denver vandalized twice in one day