Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

The Illusion of Choice

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 7 months ago #8851 by murphyslaw
While reading Molly Ivins'Book, "Nothin' But Good Times Ahead," I saw that she lamented the fact that in 1982, major media outlets were controlled by 50 corporations and in 1987 by 29. I Googled that subject and found that today, 6 corporations control %90 of the media.

I thought monopolies were not allowed, but evidently, that law either isn't being enforced or it is no longer in effect. Reportedly there is no party or administration to blame; instead it is the media's fault with their mergers and acquisitions.

We haven't had a true revolt since we defeated England. I think it's time that we joined forces and bombarded the Congress, Senate, and whoever becomes President, with letters of protest.

Those of you more in the know than I could share their frustration about our being fed only what the media determines. I must have paid little or no attention, to any news about this fiasco. My outrage is a bit late, but I am outraged and plan to start writing very soon!

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 7 months ago #8854 by Kong
"I thought monopolies were not allowed, but evidently, that law either isn't being enforced or it is no longer in effect."

Monopolies are not illegal or not allowed. Monopolies that are well regulated or produce exceptional products are not violating any anti-trust laws. If these monopolies were created through improper conduct, such as exclusionary activities, predatory practices, price fixing, etc., then they would be subject to anti-trust laws.

AT&T in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s for example was a very beneficial monopoly that was regulated and produced many innovations. One could argue that Microsoft, could well be considered a monopoly, has used predatory practices and exclusionary activities, bundling/tying practices and is often in court defending those practices.

But overall the common misconception is that monopolies are illegal. They are not. The issue of legality with a monopoly is how they got there.

Now if you want me to rant at the poor state of journalism and how they no longer report the news, but create it and seem to have agendas when doing so, that would be a completely different matter. ;-)

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
7 years 7 months ago #8855 by Allen
"Now if you want me to rant at the poor state of journalism and how they no longer report the news, but create it and seem to have agendas when doing so, that would be a completely different matter."

AMEN to that! Both sides do it! Very frustrating. Just report the news and I will decide! (Sorry, I couldn't resist. :))

"When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice." President Trump

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 7 months ago #8869 by murphyslaw
The sad thing is that both of you latched on to the monopoly comment and ran with it, when the whole idea of the post was that so much of the media is controlled by so few corporations, and I am outraged. I also thought others, regardless of political persuasion, would be outraged, also, and would want to write letters of protest, as I plan to do. I'm not saying it will make a difference, but what harm would it do?

More
7 years 6 months ago #8872 by Kong
I didn't latch on to anything. I tried to help clarify an aspect that you were erroneous on. I provided a reiteration of my disgust for journalism in general (of which the control is but one aspect) is an attempted humorous way.

I didn't specifically address the limited control as, to be honest, that is sort of like saying water is wet. I thought it was well known and to be honest I try to spend my efforts where I can actually change things and not tilt at windmills. There are areas in the environment, social equity, etc. where, in my opinion, my time is better spent.

Visualize Whirled Peas

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 6 months ago #8873 by murphyslaw
You are a master of condescension, Kong. I remember many of your posts from long ago when you were "feuding" with a frequent poster on this board, so it's nothing new.

Thank heavens I'm not required to read or reply, neither of which I will do in the future.

More
7 years 6 months ago #8874 by Kong
You make a statement that has a portion of the position that is incorrect. I offer up information regarding the part of the post that was incorrect and add my disillusion with the state of things.

You make a statement that I "latch" on to an aspect you brought up as if it were an irrelevant facet of your comment. (Seemed relevant to me a sit was dealing with th e narrowing down of options and whether or not that narrowing down was illegal or not. But hey, whatever.

In your dismay, you seem to take a shot as to our not being thoroughly outraged enough of your discovery. I provide the reason why I wasn't as outraged as you seemed to want me to be as it was old "news" to me and I would rather make an impact where I could. You know habitat for humanity, cleaning local parks, etc.

It is like you feel you have to be outraged at me whether or not it is justified. Sheesh Whatever floats your boat.

Visualize Whirled Peas