Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

Chauvinism: Stayin' Alive in the U. S. of A.

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 6 months ago #8756 by murphyslaw
(Chauvinism can apply to women as well as to men, according to sources on the internet.)

In America:

Women didn't have the right to vote until 1920.

Since 1909, 39 women have served as governor. Currently, only 6 are serving. First woman governor: Carolyn B. Shelton in 1909. (For one weekend only.)

45 women have served in the Senate since 1789 when that body was established. First woman senator: Ophelia Watt Caraway, appointed to fill late husband's vacancy in 1932, then elected in 1944.

313 women elected or appointed to Congress since 1916, when Jeannette Pickering Rankin was elected.

Only 4 women have served on the Supreme Court since its inception 220 years ago.

Over 70 countries have had a female head of state or government.

Zero women have been Vice President in the history of the United States.

Since George Washington was elected our first president, 240 years ago, no woman has been elected to the Presidency.

I believe that the same forces which kept most woman out positions of power all these years are at work today. I also believe that any woman running for President in this day and age would be hated and defiled. (Perhaps Elizabeth Warren could be the exception, but she has had her share of haters, too. Palin had her problems, but in my opinion she was generally just a joke.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 6 months ago #8760 by Allen
You are a chauvinist concerning Conservative women!!! Shame on you! Sarah Palin is not a joke!! She was elected Mayor and as the first Woman governor and the youngest governor in Alaskan history. She is an accomplished business owner and an author. Just because you and the rest of the far, far left defiled her because of her pro-life views does NOT make her a joke. You were all upset that she didn't abort her child with Down's Syndrome. I know it infuriates a lot of you lefties, but she has accomplished just as much if not more than Hillary! And....no one mysteriously dies when they cross Sarah!

"When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice." President Trump

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 6 months ago #8762 by murphyslaw
You have absolutely no idea why I think Palin is/was a joke, and I resent your putting words in my mouth, so to speak.

I never defiled her because of her views on abortion, nor was I upset in any way that she did not abort her child. Where did you get your information on my opinion of her?

As always, you take what you believe and turn it into an attack on those with whom you disagree without the slightest hint of truth to back it up.

Your veiled reference to people dying mysteriously is pure balderdash. Check your facts instead relying on your far, far right ideas well and long planted by Fox News.

And if you want to compare Palin's accomplishments to Hillary's, let me know. I was going to list Hillary's but thought it was a bit long.

However, it would be worth the time to see the accomplishments of both side by side.

One thing for sure: Allenland still exists.

More
7 years 6 months ago #8767 by Kong
While I agree that it is alive in the US and is certainly something that needs to be overcome, I think you are using this as an excuse why folks don't like Hillary.

Just like folks had issues with Obama were all lumped into racism, this is an attempt to lump all criticism of Hillary into chauvinism.

It is always easier to label and then dismiss opposition than to examine the criticism for basis.

As for chauvinism, it is irrational and hinders numerous people from reaching their potential. I see it in the work place, in education, in everyday activities. It is deplorable much the same way that bigotry and racism is. Unfortunately, you cannot legislate moral changes. Every attempt to do so may garner some movement forward, but almost always has significant backlash. This is something that will take generations to overcome through accurate reporting of the issue,not global generalizations.

By this I mean, when it is factual, present it and show the shamefulness of that activity. I can personally tell you that this will often require individuals standing up for unpleasant criticism based in fear and will cause that fear to be redirected at the defender. In these situations we need strong thoughtful leadership and not reactionary policy.

Visualize Whirled Peas