Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

We are joining at last

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 9 months ago #8257 by murphyslaw
the mindset other countries have about women, and it's about time. Even though suffrage happened at about the same time in other countries, we've been slow to include women in the rank of top leaders.

I'm proud to have seen in my lifetime more civil rights granted to African Americans; the election of a Catholic to the presidency; rights granted for homosexuals to marry; (in some states, at least) the inclusion of universal healthcare; and the rise of a woman to the level of presumptive presidential nominee in a major party.

What is sad is that the Republican party of today seems eager to rescind what has taken decades to accomplish. There are still people who advocate that women stay home, raise children, submit to their husbands, and give up control of their reproductive rights to the government. There are still people who would make it more difficult for African Americans to vote despite their public pronouncements that they are not racist. There are still people who cannot see past their prejudices when it comes to the LGBT community. There are still people whose words indicate they believe in white supremacy and who would prefer we allow no immigrants into our country. There are still people who have spent an obscene amount of money trying to revoke the national healthcare law.

I hope the rest of this century proves that we can move past the hate and bigotry that permeates our nation. I wish I could live long enough to see that happen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.