Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

I Was Wrong. Oh So Wrong!

• DocBlues
  • DocBlues's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 11 months ago #8101 by DocBlues
it's true confessions time, friends. When Donald Trump announced his presidential run, I would have bet, given he is a bloviating buffoon and totally unqualified to be POTUS, just about ANYTHING, that his campaign would self-destruct shortly after it was launched. I was wrong. Dead wrong. Oh so wrong! Trump has made statements and has taken positions that would have been lethal for other candidates. Demonizing immigrants, insulting his fellow candidates, mocking prisoners of war and the physically handicapped only seemed to increase his popularity. It is, like it or not, all quite remarkable.

However, I figured out where I went wrong and have managed to find a bit of sunshine in all this. I was dead wrong because I failed to take into account the size of the fraction of the electorate with whom Trump's message actually resonates. I had no idea that so many people would think of building a wall along the border with Mexico as sound foreign policy, despite the fact that net illegal immigration across that border has been zilch for several years now. Trump supporters applaud his suggestion to stop ALL Muslims from entering the U.S, even though toddlers (yes, TODDLERS!) have killed more Americans in this country than radical jihadists since 9/11.

I now believe that Drumpf will be the GOP nominee when their convention ends; I never, EVER thought I would be saying that. The GOP, through decades of stoking fears of its base and playing "dog whistle" politics, has unwittingly created a monster that they can no longer control. The "stop Trump" movement is going nowhere -- far too little, far too late. But, as I mentioned earlier, there is a bright spot. The seamy underbelly of the electorate that supports Trump, while significant, is still a minority of voters. In addition, Republicans are a minority when compared to the number of registered Democrats nationwide. Independents, generally thoughtful folks, are NOT going to come out for Trump in large numbers. I might be wrong (again), but I feel all this sets the stage for a Democratic landslide in November of historic proportion. I wouldn't be surprised if, in addition to Trump getting buried at the polls, the Democrats take control of the Senate and make deep inroads into the GOP majority in the House.Of course, I could be wrong. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.