Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Non-KU Sports

He was no saint

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #24614 by murphyslaw
The death of Kobe Bryant, his daughter, the pilot, and ?? is tragic, of course. I just wish the news media would stop portraying the basketball great as a saint. (And why is it that anyone but the famous is rarely mentioned? How must those families feel?)

I'm sure we remember the initial coverage when Derrick Thomas died and what revelations were reported later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 2 months ago #24631 by HawkErrant
Agree, murph.

FWIW, ESPN talk shows are today starting to look at the whole life, not just the recent, of Bryant.

I felt (and still do, of course) for the families of the other 7 as they were wondering if this was the chopper their loved one(s) were on.

Of course, to be fair part of the issue is the police withholding names until the people are identified and the families properly notified.

The sad thing is that in this instant media age "proper notification" in such cases is almost impossible to do. "The word" is around the world in a flash. I'm sure there was at least one family who knew as soon as they heard the news that their lives had just changed forever.

Here is a CNN story with a look at what and who is known at the publishing - www.cnn.com/2020/01/27/us/victims-helico...be-bryant/index.html

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.