Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Entertainment / Personal

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

Using the public library

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #6862 by Wheatstate Gal
I re-discovered the public library when I lived up in Brother Bay's sort of neighborhood in Lafayette, CA. I don't tend to re-read books often, but I can always purchase if I am so inclined. Saves some cash and the space and the extra weight when I pack up and move yet again.

I bought a Kindle years ago and then switched to my iPad. It is very easy to "borrow" ebooks from your local "libraries." I have 2 cities and 1 county library.....LA county. Orange County won't let non-residents in. :P But I guess I don't pay taxes (except LOTS OF SALES TAX) in the OC.

I am finding that the "screen" is affecting my eyes and after a bit of reading.....I'm getting a headache. So I will be switching back to good old REAL books soon.

Thank you boys, HE and JR, for putting forth a couple of your enjoyable "reads".....always interested.

Rock Chalk!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #6866 by HawkErrant
My pleasure, Wheaty!

We have access to the Lawrence Public Library online for all services, print and electronic, and the State Library of Kansas as well (usually limit borrowing from there to e-stuff). Also Amazon Prime, of course, but we seldom use it for books, usually just free 2 day shipping and Amazon Prime videos (of which their online library does not contain enough, but that's a complaint for another time).

We have a Kindle, too, and I have used it in the past to read Dan SImmons' "Hyperion" series (excellent scifi starting with the title book in 1989 and three more in the 1990s). I did enjoy the convenience of the Kindle, but found it less satisfying to read than the old print stuff we with which we grew up. Was great for reading at night, though, and not bothering Anna with a reading light. link to Hyperion wikipedia page (warning, it'a a long article.)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
8 years 1 month ago #7136 by Bayhawk
I love books on tape (CD) as they help me drift off to sleep. I recommend "Where's Waldo" on CD :P

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #7141 by Wheatstate Gal
I'll look for that today!!!

LOL...U R too much, my friend!!!

B)

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7150 by HawkErrant
Same here re: using audiobooks for "bedtime stories", Bay! Our personal favorites are usually one of the "Harrys", either --

The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling1
The Harry Dresden series, better known as " The Dresden Files " by Jim Butcher2

1. Jim Dale does a fantastic job as narrator of the audiobooks for all of the US versions of 7 novels. (I am told that Stephen Fry does the very excellent British version audiobooks). Dale won two Grammies and four Audies (think Oscars for audiobooks) for his work on the series.

2. James Marsters (perhaps best known as Spike from the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" TV series) is truly iconic as Chicago private investigator, CPD consultant and Doom of Damocles* Wizard (the only wizard listed in the Chicago Metro Yellow Pages, can you believe it?!?) Harry Dresden, the first-person narrator of "The Dresden Files." Originally Marsters did all but one of the audiobooks (he was otherwise contractually obligated when "Ghost Story", book 13 in the series, was being recorded), but fan demand was so great that the publisher reissued that audiobook a couple of years later with Marsters narrating it. Not that John Glover (Lionel Luthor in TV's "Smallville") did a bad job in Marsters' absence, John was really an excellent stand-in. It's just that he wasn't Marsters -- and for fans, the difference is palpable.

*Doom of Damocles -- a suspended death sentence from the White Council, the original sentence decreed for violating the laws of Magic.

Yeah, I guess it's true -- Anna and I just love Harry wizards! :P

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.