Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Entertainment / Personal

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

Lawrence area RCBers meet at hoshi's for drinks & BBQ

More
8 years 1 month ago #6895 by Freestate69
What a great time!
Hoshi is a gracious host and a great chef as well.
Food was wonderful. Great stories were told and new friends made.
We need to make this a regular thing.
Thanks Eric for the planning, and thanks Val for hosting!

"Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the earth." - Gandalf on passing through Columbia, MO
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #6899 by Wheatstate Gal
An update of tonight's RCB soirée at the Hoshi Estate is as highly anticipated as Konza and Konza Jr's updates from the Yum (really?) Center in Louisville! :silly:

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #6903 by HawkErrant
Everything you said, Freestate69!

Pics will be posted as requested. To "star"t, here is a pic from our host hoshi.

From L-R, Mrs & Mr. Freestate69, Mrs & Mr HawkErrant (Anna & Eric Dawson), Senex68 & Son, DocHawk and hoshi. Taking the pic was Mrs. DocHawk.
(I shall leave it up to the others pictured whether or not to include their real names as well. I will add them to the above and subsequent if allowed)

Senex will be sending me more pics to upload, but please don't expect them tonight! :P

We did come to one unanimous conclusion -- if the Jayhawks bring their A game against Maryland, KU wins! :woohoo:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, JRhawk, sasnak, Rosie19, Wheatstate Gal

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #6906 by porthawk
What a great photo! And as I type that sentence, I realized that I have a big smile on my face. It's so cool to put some names and faces together and see fellow RCB'ers sitting around the table breaking bread, drinking fine wine, and chatting about their lives (and of course, KU hoops)! I can't imagine this happening with people from any other team's message board community. (I really can't!) Just another reason to appreciate the whole RCB experience even more!
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by porthawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago #6912 by konza63
What a great photo! I'm so glad you all could do this, particularly on short notice. Looks like a great time with a great crew!

And of course, we like the unanimous group sentiment!

Thanks to Hoshi for hosting and Eric/HE for organizing!

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 1 month ago #6914 by DocHawk
What a great evening at Hoshi's house last night ! He is a great chef and picked an extraordinary red wine. Great to meet all the RCBers I have admired from afar for so long. We were all in agreement that this has been one of the best seasons ever. Now lets cap it off ! I encourage all of you to get together with the RCBers in your area. You'll be glad you did. Thanks again to Hoshi for being such a great host. DocHawk.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #6929 by Wheatstate Gal
I find myself opening and re-opening this thread photo and just smile (like Port).

Rock Chalk!!!

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #6934 by hoshi
1. Oven-Roasted Chicken Shawarma served with fresh tomatoes, parsley drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.
See < cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017161-oven...ted-chicken-shawarma >
2. Turkey brats, BBQ'd and then placed in heated Gates BBQ sauce
3. Vegetables soaked in olive oil, salted with sea salt and freshly ground paper and grilled on a Weber gas grill, asparagus, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow and red peppers and eggplant.
4. Beers were New Belgium and Boulevard
5. White wine, Scaia from the Veneto area of Italy, where my family is from. Great summer wine.
6. Red Wine, Primitivo - Basilicata, Poggio Anima, from the Puglia part of Italy (the heel). Primitivo is an ancient Zinfandel grape.
7. Salads from the HEs and the Freestaters
8. Desert from the DocHawks and I think the HEs
9. Freestaters also took some dips and Senex and son brought humus etc

The best was the company and the discussion, pure desert.

Interesting DocHawk and I were born on the same day, same year but about 10,000 miles apart.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by hoshi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #6938 by Wheatstate Gal
Holy Smoke.....

Sounds heavenly!!!

:P (not sticking tongue out, but licking my lips)

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 4 weeks ago #7440 by HawkErrant
Earlier I posted the group pic showing everyone in attendance save the photographer. Here she is -- Mrs DocHawk telling tales! (She was wonderful!) (These pics taken by Senex68)

Here's the wine and the photobomber known as hoshi!

The Freestate69s and HawkErrants enjoy some story telling from hoshi while he preps the final touches on the meal.

SenexSon, Mrs DocHawk, hoshi and the Freestate69s enjoy the fruits of hoshi's culinary expertise.

(Don't ask me what happened to DocHawk, I haven't got a clue!)

The Freestate 69s and HawkErrants enjoying the repast! The food was so good that HE slowed down his eating to truly enjoy the meal! (Note his only slightly blurred right hand!)

SenexSon, with DocHawk and his lady fair as the end of the evening draws nigh.

The eating, drinking, laughing and talking were done inside due to the blustery evening.
And it all was all wonderful thanks to our host, chef and sommelier, Signore hoshi!

Thank you again for the wonderful food and drink, hoshi, and thanks to all who came bringing their contributions to the feast and spending some time and sharing some memories to make it a marvelous evening of new memories!

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 4 weeks ago by HawkErrant.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 4 weeks ago #7447 by Wheatstate Gal
Wunnerful, wunnerful!!

Thanks HE for posting Senex's photos!!!!

still jealous..... ;)

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 4 weeks ago #7448 by HawkErrant
Maybe next time you're in town visiting the Wheaty mom we can set up another such confab, Wheaty. :woohoo:

Same suggestion to anyone else that's going to be visiting Lawrence from beyond the realm.

Rock Chalk!

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #7457 by hoshi
Mia Casa e Tua Casa

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 4 weeks ago - 8 years 4 weeks ago #7467 by HawkErrant
Grazie, Signore! B)

You are one rock solid Jayhawk!

Last Edit: 8 years 4 weeks ago by HawkErrant.