Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Entertainment / Personal

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

Lawrence area RCBers meet at hoshi's for drinks & BBQ

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #5566 by HawkErrant
DATE: March 23, 2016

EDITED THIS ORIGIN POST TO ADD DATE?TIME?PLACE INFO UP FRONT>

ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS -- HE
============================

I was thinking it would be nice to have a get together with the local area Jayhawks to get a chance to put faces with names and talk KU and whatever else over food and drink.

Since this is March I would not want to do it on a game day, which pretty much means middle of the week before Thursday.

I am told by Senex68 that he will be in the KC Metro for business later this month, and would be happy to meet up with people in Lawrence some evening to talk KU.

Allowing for his schedule, the evening of Wednesday, March 23 is probably the best, simply because the next day has Sweet 16 games and we will all be (hopefully) fully engaged otherwise.

I know hoshi and DocHawk are "local", and I would love to meet you both-- and any others (spouse, siblings, friends) you know that would be interested.

Any others in the area that would be interested? If so, please reply!

I was thinking about several different places we could meet. I will make the arrangements, just need to know # of people.

Options (suggestions beyond these welcome)
Free State Brewery
23rd Street Brewery
Johnny's West
Marisco's & The Top Shelf Bar (6th & Wakarusa, just across Wakarusa to the east from Johnny's West)

You can respond here or let me know by Private Message.
Whichever method you choose, I will finalize things via PM.

If you have not used the site's PM before, you can either:
1. Write to me by clicking on the text balloon -- the far right icon -- at the bottom of my profile panel for this post.
or
2. Click on the link in the top righthand corner of your page to get to the PM module. You'll have to type in my name

Thanks, and hope to see some of you later this month!

HawkErrant
(aka Eric Dawson)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 1 month ago #5570 by hoshi
I would be willing to host, beer, wine and BBQ at my home on the 23rd. So yes, I am in.
Hoshi

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling, HawkErrant, Freestate69

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #5572 by HawkErrant
That would be great, Hoshi! Thank you!

I am still willing to help with the logistics. We can get together off the board to discuss details once we have a better idea how many people there will be. I'll PM my contact info to you.

Anyone else?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago #5573 by konza63
I will definitely be there in spirit! This makes me miss "home" more than ever... :( Rain check for Konza!

PS: Hoshi, that is huge of you to offer. Thanks from this corner, even if I can't be there in person this time around. (Hope to meet you downstream!)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 1 month ago #5575 by Senex68
Obviously I will be there too. With my older son, a KU Law grad, and a lifer Jayhawk. Thank you, Hoshi, for your generous offer!

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 1 month ago #5587 by Sieverling
That's awesome you're willing to host, hoshi. Wish I could make it.

I usually go to KC to visit family around Christmas and July 4. Maybe sometime several of us could meet.

Hic manebimus optime

More
8 years 1 month ago #5635 by hairyhawk
Alas I will not be able to make it. Hoshi, that is very generous of you and it sounds like a wonderful time. Hopefully a good time will be had by all both the 23rd and during the following game.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #5670 by porthawk
...thanks so much for the offer, hoshi! Would love to ask my principal for 2-3 personal days so I could fly out to Lawrence to meet many of our fellow tribe members, but unfortunately it just can't happen as it's testing season in NYC :(

Hope it works out and that everyone has a great time. I look forward to a report on the board in a couple of weeks!
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by porthawk.

More
8 years 1 month ago #6054 by hoshi
Just keeping this thread alive. Not sure how people can contact me to set up the communication. I have now placed more information in my profile. Hope that helps people to contact me. Excited to host on the 23rd.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #6064 by HawkErrant
"Bumping" and pinning this thread to the top of the RCB to get the most visibility for people who might be interested. It is an open invitation, RCBers, so if you are going to be in Lawrence and would like to attend, please let us know ASAP. It should be a great chance to meet some of the people behind the usernames for KUMBB discussion, fun and food.

Please check in with Hoshi (see his profile info) or me (see mine) so we know how many people to expect at Chez Hoshi!

And Hoshi -- thank you again for volunteering to host this!

HE

More
8 years 1 month ago #6090 by DocHawk
My wife Kathy and I are in and looking forward to it. More than happy to chip in on the BBQ and bring beer/booze/side dishes etc. Thanks for hosting, much better than a noisy bar. Will await the particulars.

More
8 years 1 month ago #6792 by hoshi
Hi everyone
Just sent an email to HE with details. I assume he will distribute the needed information on where and when we will all meet. Suggested 5:30PM at my home for eats and watching the early games.
hoshi

More
8 years 1 month ago #6794 by hoshi
Screwed up. We are meeting on the. 23rd at 5:30PM. Details to follow.
Hoshi

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #6797 by HawkErrant
Hi, folks!

For our host hoshi (and thanks again, hoshi!), I have the following 7 people planning to attend:

me and Mrs HE
freestate69
DocHawk and wife
Senex68 and his son

I have sent an RCB Private Message to all of the above with details.

If you have yet to use the PM features, you can access it by clicking on "Private Messages" in the User box (see below).

Looking forward to this as much as I am the next game!

Rock Chalk!

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #6801 by Wheatstate Gal
Hi you lucky RCB-ers who can "sup" on Wednesday......

Would someone take a group pic of you all (the Board Members and guests) and post to the Board? Some of us old fogies are not facebook/snapchat/instagram users.

The picture of Mom and Daughter and Bayhawk was great to see earlier in the season....

I think I may speak for a number of us who wish we could be there this week.....I am usually a final four weekend visitor (coincides with my work place spring break) but not his year.....duty calls; but it would be too late for the Hoshi Hacienda gathering anyway.

Have fun my friends.....ROCK CHALK FOREVER.

More
8 years 1 month ago #6818 by porthawk
nm

More
8 years 1 month ago #6864 by hoshi
The food is purchased, the beer and white wine are chilled, the red wine will be ready and the meat will begin marinating tomorrow morning. And yes, the chef is ready to begin work.
Ciao
hoshi

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #6865 by HawkErrant
Hoshi, I've sent you and everybody else a Private Message with the latest info I have collected from everyone of what is being brought.

See you tomorrow!

Eric

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago #6870 by konza63
Now you're rubbing it in, Hoshi! ;) :P :lol:

Those of us located elsewhere will be there in spirit. Please take photos and post, everyone!

Also, send me positive vibes and karma across the miles to Louisville, so I can help cheer on the lads to victory in the most proper fashion!

Rock Chalk....

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #6889 by HawkErrant
Folks, when you get to hoshi's place, don't go to the front door, go around to the backyard.

Meant to have this in the original instructions, sorry! :blush:

HE