Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Great Win

• hairyhawk
  • hairyhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #3654 by hairyhawk
I will admit I was very nervous for this game. I could not relax and enjoy the game as I should. I think there are 2 reasons for that. One is it was a must win game for us and the other is I really do not like the WVU style of play. I give their guys credit for playing hard and making plays but I do not understand why the refs let them get away with as much stuff as they do. I would guess a WVU fan would complain that the got called for a lot of fouls but when you watch them play they are always grabbing and pushing. When they drive they quite often just lower their shoulder and go right into the defender. Yet the refs bail them out quite a bit. I would be unhappy if they won the league so I really wanted this game. I was very happy to see our guys play hard and match their intensity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 1 month ago #3662 by murphyslaw
I, too, was nervous about this game, but as you said, it was great to see our guys play hard and match WVU's intensity.

Except for a few minutes when we got careless with the ball, we were poised and , I thought, determined.

Bless Perry's heart for learning to score despite being sometimes triple-teamed and through contact. And that 3--wow--when we really needed it! He's leading by example.

Thank heavens for Landen Lucas, who almost got a double-double. Tonight I think we knew why he is a starter.

Good for Brannen and his more laid-back attitude, as well as his threes and better defensive playing.

Wayne didn't have a record night scoring, but he was able to contribute with timely plays and at least one out of two when he got to the line.

Frank, the player we remembered him to be! 'Nough said.

DeVonte didn't lose his confidence despite some careless turnovers. He stayed in the game and showed us his skills and his promising future.

The bench didn't contribute much, but tonight we didn't need them.

Many reasons to be proud of our Jayhawks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago #3673 by konza63
Spot on, Murphyslaw and Hairyhawk! Love the analysis and thoughts.

Let's face it--if the refs don't lean over backwards to keep WVU and KU fairly balanced in fouls, this would've been a 20-point KU win. We were that good tonight, notwithstanding being a bit more careless in the 2nd half. The officials were beyond the pale--just horrible in the disparity (in WVU's favor) of what should rise to the level of a foul call.

But the nice thing is we fought through that adversity, and the thug-ball of WVU, and matched their fight and aggression with every bit of our own, and then some. This was a toughness statement, and a major step-up game.

I'm beyond proud of the team (and Coach Self) for tonight's performance.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #3676 by HawkErrant
... someone, somewhere will be kvetching about how the refs, once again, as always, favored KU at home.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #3678 by konza63
Yes, and that's such a tired trope among KU haters that half of me wants to track them down and punch them in the mouth...while the other half of me realizes that would not end well (legally, LOL) and they are just butt-hurt losers with a massive inferiority complex who are better off being muted and roundly ignored.

(Needless to say, I've encountered them, and countervailing FACTS and EVIDENCE mean nothing to them...hence my impatience and consternation above)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by konza63.