Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Love WVU tenancity - hate their punk-ness

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3649 by AZhawk87
Play hard, rough, tenacious, whatever. I respect how hard WVU plays and especially how they hit the offensive boards.

But keep your mouth shut. The WVU guard (Jashean something) gets in guys faces and talks crap. How do refs let him get away with it?

He baited Selden into a T tonight, and gets away with the same crap all the time.

I'm pretty sure he trash talked Self after he hit the 3 at end of first half. Someone watch it again and confirm please.

He appeared to apologize to Self in handshake line afterward. Punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3655 by Wheatstate Gal
Hi AZ

I didn't see him say anything to Coach. He drained it right at the buzzer, turned and walked toward his bench. If he said anything I couldn't see it.....but I don't have a large screen.

I have the game recorded...early start means I'm still at work. It seems like a few board members always re watch and see things. Maybe they can see better than I can.

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3664 by AZhawk87
Thanks Wheaty.

I missed it for a second, and only saw Self turn around and appear to say something as the kid walked away. Self also looked pissed as he walked off. Then, in the handshake line, they said something to each other that looked more than "good game". Kinda like they laughed something off. I may just dislike the kid enough to see what's not there.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #3698 by konza63
I don't doubt it a bit that what you saw was true.

In his postgame presser, Coach said it was a "very chippy game." He said there was lot of jawing back and forth. He also said that he had no problem with his guys talking back to WVU as long as they were backing it up.

As a phogologist reading between the lines, I think Coach wanted his guys to stand toe to toe with the Mountaineers...to embrace the physicality and swagger and turn it right back on them. To play like grown men and underscore that the punking in Morgantown was an anomaly and distant history.

The team delivered.

They also did it by not getting TOO sucked into WVU goading, except for the ridiculous tech on Selden (should've been a warning instead to both players). For example, Selden pulled Lucas away from getting in one WVU player's grill when the latter pushed Lucas in the back and said something. And at the end of the game, the goon with goggles was chirping at Lucas and Landon just walked away...IN VICTORY.

Not only did Lucas have a great game, but he brought a toughness and a commitment to defend his teammates that I found super refreshing.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3704 by NotOstertag
Didn't see the comment directed at our bench, and agree that the Selden T should have been a mutual warning. Nevertheless, I'm glad the guys stuck it right back at WVU.

Here's my take on WVU overall. While I'm not a fan of the ugly basketball, I don't mind seeing tenacity and full court presses. It's the general chippiness that gets old quickly. By all means, trap guys in the backcourt, get the steal and score...just act like you've been there before. The "swagger" crap in basketball is getting old EVERYWHERE. Drain a big 3? Go play defense, we don't need to see comments or gestures.

I will say that I do have a grudging appreciation of WVU in some ways. Despite his somewhat checkered past, Huggins has been successful, and his players seem to love and respect him despite the fact that he's a task master. He's got a guy that they NEED on indefinite suspension, so while I don't know if the guy merely skipped class or is an axe murderer, I respect a coach who's willing to be a disciplinarian.

Finally, I can't imagine that there's much going on in Morgantown in February, so I'm sure that the locals must love having something to get behind. Whether they're a rival or not, getting people fired up by college basketball, and particularly Big 12 basketball helps us. In the end, no matter whether we win #12 or not, we need a competitive conference, so having half the conference in the top 25 is certainly good for us.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #3714 by konza63
I agree on them helping out the conference by adding yet another solid team to the fray. I also like that they present a completely different style in their game from others in the Big 12, which should serve KU very well if we face a press-type team in the post-season.

As for Huggins, I was surprised to hear last night that he was the #3 winningest coach among active coaches. I would've had him in the top 7 or so, but top 3 was a bit surprising. I'm wondering who #2 is, behind Kimihamakakkamaimy at Puke. Izzo? (I would suspect him over Roy since Izzo has been around longer) Anyway, the bottom line is Huggins definitely can coach, even if his style is not one I love to watch. I don't mind press, per se, but what drives me nuts is how he works the refs non-stop. Even when he was getting calls last night (and he got a ton), he was still working the refs as his guy went to the FT line. I get that he needs to do that, given his style of play and the need to have the refs give them breaks, but as an opponent it doesn't make it any less grating.

That notwithstanding, the Big 12 is well-served by having him and WVU in the conference. It's no surprise that it's become the toughest conference in the land as it's added more talent at the coaching level as well.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3722 by NotOstertag
In the late '80s and early '90s I went through a brief NBA phase and was a huge Detroit Pistons fan, and particularly liked Bill Laimbeer.

I'll give everyone a moment to get past that....

Anyway, what I loved about that team was that they actually played defense, which in the NBA was pretty much unheard of. They were also total bruisers (thugs? ok). Nevertheless at the time, it was fairly revolutionary.

Laimbeer, in particular, was amazing to watch. Here's a kid who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, who certainly didn't need an NBA paycheck playing as mean and tough as any kid from any city street. I'm sure that his ethnicity and background riled some of his opponents. Adding to it his totally dirty style of play, simply splashed gasoline on the embers.

Two things happened with regularity:
1.) Opposing players would routinely come out less concerned with adhering to the game plan and would instead focus on "showing Laimbeer up". Inevitably they'd be taken out of their game and would fail miserably.
2.) Due to his constant work on the refs (whining, etc.) refs would actually think twice about calling fouls on him. If you go back and look at old game footage, you can actually see refs getting THIS CLOSE to blowing the whistle, hesitating, and letting the game continue.

So while I don't like Huggy-ball, I feel a little hypocritical knowing that at one point in my life I found a similar style of play to be completely entertaining and highly effective.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 2 months ago #3739 by porthawk
nm

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #3749 by HawkErrant
Have not checked the impact of the games SU vacated on his personal record, but IIRC, Boeheim had over half of SU's all-time wins. And you will recall that SU had been #5 in the Top 5 winningest programs until the penalties were assessed.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #3750 by HawkErrant
Wins for Active Division 1 coaches
Start of 2015-16 season

1036 K
858 Boeheim (966 before vacating 108)
765 Huggins
757 Roy
718 Pitino

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"