Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Quick-hit observations--1st half

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #3429 by konza63
In no particular order:

* KU obviously came to play today. Coach Self is coaching his rear off, and the players have responded.

* GREAT team energy from the opening whistle, and the body language (even on the bench) was superb from the get-go.

* Loved that he went with the press off the bat...it injected immediate energy and forced the players to set the tone. They did.

* Best team D so far this year, arguably. Great M2M coverage, forced TCU deep on the perimeter and deep into the shot clock.

* How about the nicely executed alley-oop! Two, in fact. Does Self read this board? (Haha)

* Jamari with a terrific first half. I have blasted him a lot, so I'll praise him when he does well. Great energy, best offensive rebounding from KU I've seen in ages, and he's actually finished on some plays. Plus, loved the hard defensive foul (agree, Dave).

* Love the ball movement. It's not sticking at all. I especially like not forcing the shot inside off the outside-in pass, but instead immediately zinging it back out to the perimeter for the wide open 3. (Devonte and Frank both hit Trey Burke-like treys off of this)

* Our guards are playing very well. Ellis too.

* Svi giving positive minutes yet again. Attaboy!

* Lucas: lousy half. Don't put the ball on the floor when you're 3 feet from the rim! And get your body off the floor when you turn it over--you're turning bad mistakes on one end into two mistakes when you get up slowly and fail to get back on D! Horrible effort there.

* Greene: inserted surprisingly early in the game (13-minute mark), whiffs on his first defensive play, immediately yanked, not seen since. You got what you deserved on that one, Brannen.

Keep it up, guys. Step on their necks. Get up by 30 and work in the young guys!

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.