Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Jamari's best performance in ages

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #3427 by konza63
Really solid. Need more of this!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 2 months ago #3428 by Sieverling
Nice foul by Jamari at 7:36. I'm tired of piddly fouls that allow the basket.

Foul like you mean it.

Hic manebimus optime

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #3459 by HawkErrant
Definitely Jamari's best game of the year for sure, probably longer? I'll leave that to the analysts.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #3496 by Senex68
The analysts would observe that Jamari was playing against the worst team in the Big 12, a team with relatively unskilled 5s. If he can't play well against TCU, he should never hit the floor again.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• Bayhawk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3497 by Bayhawk
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #3498 by CorpusJayhawk
I'm not sure if it was exactly Jamari's best but it was pretty dadgum close if not. To the casual observer Jamari seems to always have a play or two where he does something that makes you jump up out of your seat. But all too often he is out of position or he is not blocking out or he is overplaying or he is setting ridiculously bad screens or something. Today he had a few seat popping moments but he also blocked out better than I have ever seen him. He played real defense rather than the gamblers ruin defense he usually plays. And he seemed to avoid the ridiculously stupid plays he tends to make. If today was your only data point you would think Jamari is a bona fide championship caliber player.; Well if he can play like this consistently he definitely is a bona fide championship player. I was thrilled to see him play like this. He is still a limited player but a limited player with some real strengths that when meshed properly in theis team can be very effective. Kudos to Jamari for a really great game. Please please please please keep it up!!!!!!!

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3507 by konza63

If today was your only data point you would think Jamari is a bona fide championship caliber player.

Yep. But as you noted, yesterday's performance was a complete anomaly for Jamari this year. As I've made clear on here, I believe he's been our biggest liability all year among Self's "go-to" rotation of bigs (Ellis, Lucas, Jamari). Lucas is horrible on O, but he knows it and just plays to his role in other areas--which seems to satisfy Self. Jamari, on the other hand, violates the "do no harm" principle multiple times each game, while offering very little (other than the occasional energy play) to offset it.

Yesterday was the clear outlier. But man, what an outlier. Yes, I know it was only TCU, but anyone who has watched every KU game this year knows full well that this was a very different looking Traylor yesterday. It was as if Self took him aside for several hours this past week, had a come-to-Bejeebus moment with him, broke down every flaw in his game on film, and laid out a path and plan to help him correct said flaws. Not only that, but it's also almost as if Self got through to him that, in the absence of Bragg and Diallo getting to the point where Self can trust them (putting aside any fans' desire to see them developed better for the March-April run), Jamari is going to HAVE to step up and be more of a force when it comes to a) executing the fundamentals soundly and consistently; b) becoming more of an offensive rebounding force; c) effectively hitting the bunnies he's been missing for 3 seasons now; d) discarding the notion that he's a competent ball handler, and getting rid of the ball quickly when he's left alone outside; e) avoiding the recurring illegal screens and possession-killing mistakes he's so prone to; and f) amping up his already great energy and channeling it more effectively toward positive outcomes.

Because it's a one-game sample and a stark outlier, I'm not going to personally read a lot into it. We need to see this same level of play in multiple games ahead before it will signify any turning of the corner. And if he reverts back to "Bad Jamari," hopefully Self will immediately pick that up rather than thinking he has to ride Traylor all the way in the post-season, come hell or high water.

I know this. If Jamari can bottle, harness, and channel the elixir he found yesterday, I will praise him to the high heavens (rather than critique him ad nauseum) and this team will become much more of a threat to make some noise in coming weeks. I'm not holding my breath on that, but I am crossing my fingers!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3512 by Riverhawk
Jamari's energy was welcome and indeed was significant. but Senex is right. TCU's bigs were so lazy and unfocused yesterday. Let's see how he plays this week against West Virginia and Oklahoma. And K-State won't be a layup either. Saw the second half against Oklahoma. That was no fluke. They outplayed them all the way.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3513 by konza63

Let's see how he plays this week against West Virginia and Oklahoma.

Exactly my point in my last post. Yesterday was the outlier, we need to see this "good Jamari" over a lot bigger body of work.

What I don't want to see is a "middling" outcome, because that will just compel Self to stick with Jamari. I'd rather see Jamari soar or continue to be erratic as all get-out. Reason: If we get scenario A (soaring), our front court suddenly becomes less of a liability than it is now. And if we get scenario B (erratic), we can all help that Self will go for broke with the upside talent (Bragg, Diallo) and give them more playing time heading into the tourney, because he'll know we can't go far with the status quo.

We'll know a lot more on this within 7 days.

Color me quite skeptical (about "good Jamari")...yet hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #3523 by HawkErrant
Jamari was the only one mentioned in this article.
www2.kusports.com/news/2016/feb/06/jamar...fs-call-more-energy/

Even though the results yesterday were against lesser competition, playing just as focused against better competition will still translate into much better basketball than he has been playing this year. Hopefully now that Self has gotten through to him, Self and the staff can keep Jamari fully engaged.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3525 by porthawk
...of this frenetic sequence from last year's KU/TX game in Austin.

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by porthawk.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3527 by Senex68
I love the guy and respect the hell out of his ability to transcend a truly lousy childhood. He's done well, and that will stay with him for his entire life. But let's not go nuts here. If the TCU bigs had actually done their jobs, Jamari would not have had that 'great' game. He's always trying, and he's always hustling, but he doesn't have the ability that we would love him to have. He's a limited player, and he should be the 7th or 8th guy on this team, giving us 10 minutes at the 3 and maybe a few at the 4, off the bench. But he's not talented or skilled enough to do more than that, unless we suddenly discover a 5 who can actually score points.

Yesterday we saw what Lucas is capable of on offense. Try to recall the 2 plays when he received the ball from the wing, under the basket. He brought the ball DOWN, tried to dribble, and lost the ball both times. Any decent, and I emphasize DECENT, Division 1 center would have taken the ball and gone straight up for a dunk. Lucas clearly either can't, or he won't. If he's physically limited to that extent, than I at least can understand the problem. But if he CAN, why doesn't he? After almost 4 years on this team, you'd think that he would have develped his skills to that level. I just don't get it.

I am beginning to sound like the kind of alleged KU fan that I have historically despised, those people who spend their time looking for issues or problems, so they can criticize the team and the coaching staff. It worries me that I've become so negative, but I just don't see real reasons to be particularly optimistic. Our freshmen are not making real progress. Our center is one of, if not THE worst offensive center I can recall in over 45 years of being a KU fan. Our guards are mediocre, with Frank demonstrating that he's not a PG at all, and at 5'10", he may be too small to play the 2. And he's banged up and gassed too! Devonte is a good player, and he's one of the 3 guys about whom I optimistic. He's getting better, and he's definitely our only true PG. Selden is up and down. Give us the 'good' Selden, and we're capable of winning it all. Give us the 'bad' Selden, and we're capable of losing to anyone. To me, that's a strange position to be in, because we aren't getting the 'good' Selden every game. Green is an enigma. And Svi has yet to show us consistency, although he's getting better each game. Mickelson is clearly a dead man sitting. Where is the cause for optimism? Oh, yes, I am still very confused by the coaching, and the coaches comments about the coaching. Listen carefully to Self and you begin to wonder what his agenda is for this team. Totally strange.

I hope I'm completely off base, but unless we win on Tuesday night, this season will not be memorable for any of the right reasons. I hope we win, but to be honest, I'm not optimistic.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 2 months ago #3531 by LasJayhawk
Can you imagine what would happen if Traylor and Selden got hot at the same time?

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith

More
8 years 2 months ago #3534 by CorpusJayhawk
Peter, I always hang on every word you write and I appreciate your take but I am going to disagree. What I hear is how you feel and at the risk of telling you your own thoughts I sense you are uncharacteristically letting your feelings trump your typically adept judgment. Looking at all the same data that you cited I do not believe your conclusion of pessimism is warranted. I think you are conflating uncertainty with risk. This team has no more risk than previous teams in magnitude but the uncertainty is probably greater. This team has significant upside but it also has considerable downside. Going position by position. Mason is in a funk. We all agree. But we also saw how he finished last season and how he started this season. He can be a top level team leader. He needs to regain his mojo for sure. But we know he can. Will he? Thus the risk and given the swing in his best and worst, thus the uncertainty. But I think there is equal reason to be optimistic about Mason as pessimistic. As for Graham, I am probably not as high on his upside as you are but he has been pretty consistent. Min fact, his consistency has improved markedly from last season. I personally think he is the weak link in our starting five but that is not a real negative since I like our starting five. So Graham actually has lower risk and lower uncertainty. Selden is even worse than Mason on the uncertainty scale. But on the flip side, Wayne has given us more cause for optimism than at any point in his career by a long shot. If you choose to be popes sinister about Wayne you are ignoring half of his play. And I have seen Waynes defensive lapses all but disappear as the year has progressed. He played lazy against K-State but that was more lack of effort it appeared to me. Ellis is at the absolute zenith of his career and is playing better and better all the time. Nothing but optimism regarding Perry. So we get to the 5 spot. This is the real crazy spot for the Jayhawks this year. I hear what everyone says about Lucas but I am not negative on Landen. He has pure solid bricks for hands and the most glaring lack of touch on his shot as anyone I can remember. Your assessment is spot on. But flip that coin over. He is a very good rebounder, excellent at setting screens, is virtually always where he is supposed to be, doesn't overplay...ever and aside from poor timing on blocking shots and just slow enough feet to cause him to foul a little too much he is a strong asset on defense and generally a benefit on offense as long as he doesnt touch the ball. I am not optimistic that Jamari will repeat his TCU performance. But like Mason and Selden he has shown that he has potentially that upside. So in actuality he has provided reason for more optimism than ever before. Again, it comes down to uncertainty. He can also be a liability. As for the young guys, Diallo and Bragg, I am not particularly optimistic there. They have never really given much reason for optimism other than the fact that they are freshmen and will only get better. Svi has been pretty solid defensively with the exception of the TCU game where he was terrible. His offense has been minimal but once again if you want to be optimisitic then there is evidence for that. Greene and Mickelson, well that is a whole other story. This team can be very very good. We can also get blown out by OSU. This the uncertainty. But choosing pessimism is not any more valid than the equally reasonable possibility that we see the good Frank, the good Wayne and see improvement in the young guys.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #3539 by Senex68
I actually don't disagree with you from an objective perspective. Everything you say is correct, and you certainly have the numbers to support your positions. But to me the issue this year is not 'objective.' It is totally subjective. This team does not have the 'feel' of a typical KU team. It's out of balance, out of synch, erratic and irrational. To me, it's not a team yet, and given the lateness of the season, I don't think it's going to become one. There just doesn't seem like this team has any chemistry at all. At times, they look terrific, but it's rarely a 'team' that looks terrific, but rather one or two players. Maybe it's the reality that our offense just doesn't have any real flow, no elegance, no beautiful assists, no 'synchronicity.' We play in fits and spurts, and I cannot recall any KU team that had real success that played that way. There is no dominating rebounder, no rim protector, no 10 assist guy, and nobody who can reliably create his own shot. There seems to me to be a disconnect between the coaches and the players, a visceral sense that at any time, one or two guys simply stop trying. I'm not explaining myself well, but the aura of this team is not good, at least to me. And I really believe that this season comes down to Tuesday night. If we lose, it shatters the illusion that we CAN become a great team and probably finishes our chances of winning the league. Intellectually, I am predicting a win, but emotionally I'm prepared for a loss, one that will crush us.

Yes I'm a pessimist right now, but if we do win on Tuesday, I'll be right back behind the guys, although I still believe that there is something going on with this team that nobody is going to talk about until after the season is done. I hope I'm wrong.

Glenn Reynolds

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3542 by konza63
The sad thing is that this is a year in which the national crown is very much there for the taking. There are no--zero--great teams out there. All have clear weaknesses and vulnerabilities.

If it were October and an oracle revealed to me the performances to date of all the non-KU teams in the top 20, and then I looked at what personnel KU had coming back and coming in, I factored in the success in the WUG, and I accounted for the likely progression of our returning players and the coaching up of our highly touted PF from Cleveland and our C from Africa, I would have been salivating at the thought of what the future held. Salivating.

Instead, for all of the reasons you cite, Senex, and those that I've covered and many others on here have added, I just feel like this is an exceptionally fitful, odd team. And I can't escape the sense that it's been one of Self's most questionable years. One need only look at his approach to rotations. We are now only 8 games away from the post-season, and Self still hasn't settled on a solid 8 to 9-man rotation. He appears to be rolling the dice and throwing darts on a game by game basis (when it comes to the players outside of the "core," plus his upperclassmen in the paint). Svi's latest run of decent minutes--coming on the heels of him literally being glued to the pine for games on end--is just the latest incarnation of this. And deep in his basketball gut, I think Self knows we likely can't win a championship relying on Traylor and Lucas as key cogs in the paint. But I think he's so committed to winning "now" (as in, each game in the race for the league crown) that he just can't give those guys (or Greene, for that matter) any rope when it comes to making a mistake when they do go in the games.

Despite the above sentiment, I will say this, however. I saw something in the TCU game. Something that might be a bit intangible and/or lodged in my hoops-filter subconscious, but it was something. I saw Coach Self coaching his $%& off from the opening whistle. He was super engaged, he was standing on the sideline far more than usual, he was patting kids on the butt, he was screaming (as usual), but in a way that underscored his passion and desire to win. His pride in KU and pride in self was very much on display. So any notion that Self is checking out, less caring than in the past, etc., doesn't seem to pass the eye test for this fan.

The other thing I saw (in the first half) was great body language and energy by all members of the team, and from those on the bench. Selden was dragging from the flu, but other than that, they were flying up and down the court, moving the ball crisply to one another, picking each other up when one fell on the ground, and showing emotion on made shots and big plays. This stressed to me that there is a beating heart inside of this enigma of a team. It might be feint at times, and it shows too-frequent signs of arrhythmia. But it's there.

On one hand, based on what I saw, part of me wants to believe--extrapolating from past KU teams during this 11-year conference run--that this team might have (might have) just found another gear...or flipped the switch where they just know that it's now "go time." It's been a long and fitful season, but it's go time.

That gut feeling is certainly tempered by the voice in my other ear, saying "nope, this team just doesn't have it, and it's very unlikely to find it in time."

Back to the uncertainty question again. As you rightly said, this team could seemingly win against anybody (especially "anybody" in this year's less-than-elite national lineup), but just as easily could seemingly lose against anybody.

All we can do is hope. And maybe pray. ;) We'll find out soon enough. Hang in there!

Rock Chalk...