Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Impressions of Svi

• minerscoach
  • minerscoach's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3326 by minerscoach
Thank you Coach Self for getting Svi in the game. He is not a great player right now, but he seems to be like a puppy that just wants to make you proud. I just think he can be a star if given the proper guidance. He makes mistakes, but I never get the impression that he is not grateful for the opportunity to be a Jayhawk. He just seems like a player that can make an impact and get us going in the right direction as the season moves forward.

Hopefully he can help us make a run as we approach the home stretch of the season.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by minerscoach.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #3328 by Bayhawk
WORD miners!

A smart four-year student/athlete who will make a contribution soon. JHC, when I think of me at 17-18 years-old, well, I'd rather not :S

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #3331 by konza63
He definitely was a key highlight of the game...and arguably it was him that helped us pull out of that opening-game funk when it looked like (gasp) the Grapes were going to pull away from us in our house. His energy, dribble-drive moves, and execution helped turn the tide and got us back in the game. He wasn't as effective in the second half, and you could see he was trying so hard when he made a gaffe or two.

I was super happy for the young man with his overall game...and I hope Self gives him more opportunities going forward. But he's going to have to hit the threes to go along with putting the ball on the floor.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3359 by Hawknmo
I have been on record that I am "done with the Svi experiment". That player was the 3 point magician and miner of fools gold I was told so much about. The player I saw against K-State (just finished watching the game) I can live with. The one who drives to the hoop with a purpose and the skill to actually make it all the way there WITH the ball. Would love to see more of that and less of the pup tent at the 3 point line.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #3368 by NotOstertag
I don't doubt for a minute that in a game of HORSE Svi can probably beat most of the guys on the team. There's no reason to make up false reports of his mythical shooting ability in practice if they're going to be easily dispelled the minute the games start.

So as I see it, there's clearly a mental issue at work. Whether it's the adrenaline of actual competition, rushing his shot, or some other issue, he simply isn't hitting "when the popcorn is popping" (i.e. gametime...stole that from one from Scooter's brother who used it during the game).

Nevertheless, he played very well on Wednesday and was the "energy guy" that got us on track. I agree that rather than looking to knock down 3's as a primary weapon, if he plays defense, drives, sets screens, and moves the ball, the 3's will eventually come.

One thing I've liked about Svi from the get-go is something that I see with a lot of Euro guys: they tend to play fundamentally sound rather that going for flash. Rather than a one handed behind the back pass, they'll throw a textbook chest pass. No strutting, no swagger, just solid fundamentals. Svi seems to be that kind of player, and if he can continue to play like he did on Wednesday, and Brannen extends his lease in the doghouse, I see Svi being the 1st guy off the bench for Selden, OR Frank/Devonte when one of them needs to sit.

Bottom line, I'm happy for Svi, and from a personal note, NotO Jr. is 17, and it's completely beyond my comprehension that he'd be able to move halfway around the world to play what is essentially a pro sport. I give Svi a TON of slack and think he'll be getting more involved from this point forward.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot