Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Reset button?

Poll: Did KU "push the reset button" after UK?

Yes, we're back on track
No votes 0%
No, we're still adrift
16 100%
Total number of voters: 16
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #3282 by NotOstertag
After beating Kentucky in Lawrence, some fans believed that having a break from the conference race, and chalking up a nice win against a blueblood program was enough for KU to put its struggles behind. The result of "pushing a reset button" would result in solid play moving forward. Based on what we saw last night, has KU turned the corner, or will we continue to struggle?

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago #3285 by konza63
Good poll! But you're an astute observer of all things basketball...so I think you know the answer to the question.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #3288 by HawkErrant
All true, Konza, but it can be interesting to see who agrees with you and to identify those of the blind faith (Bay, that's a musical "straight line" for you) :woohoo:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #3290 by konza63
But I didn't divulge my own view. :cheer: And I agree--I'm interested in the poll results...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #3291 by NotOstertag
Full disclosure: I didn't see the game last night. Caught part of the 2nd half live at a bar (watched the lead evaporate and then come back up) but will watch the whole thing tonight. Still, it sounds like KSU was in it a lot more than they should have been at times, and the opening stretch of the 2nd half was downright ugly.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #3294 by konza63
Yeah, you definitely need to watch the whole thing to appreciate the deeper contours...and why an 18-point win feels more like a draw the morning after.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #3296 by HawkErrant
True enough, Konza, but if you did vote, the consensus "No"s kinda give away your position. :P

NotO, when you watch the full game you will understand why we -- and Self -- were surprised to find KU ahead by 10 at the half.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 1 month ago #3325 by LKF_HAWK
It's amazing how much good shooting can cover up

More
8 years 1 month ago #3348 by Bayhawk
Well, at least Perry dunked!! :silly:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 1 month ago #3357 by Hawknmo
Not a true seafarer, but is there a difference between "adrift" and "lost"? I'm actually voting for the latter.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #3363 by konza63
I know there is a lot of angst, but I thought for sure there'd be some outliers...

The following user(s) said Thank You: LSHawk

More
8 years 1 month ago #3365 by Hawknmo
Nicely done Konza. :lol:

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

More
8 years 1 month ago #3370 by Bayhawk
Think of the old joke, "We're lost, but we're making good time . . ."

Adrift = loss of ability to control the craft whereas lost is, well, as the Jayhawks are demonstrating, of unknown whereabouts.

One man's opinion,

RC

-- Jules Michelet

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #3371 by NotOstertag
I'm going with Adrift.

"Lost" implies that nobody has any idea of what the direction should be. Left? Right? North? South? Compass is broken and the dog at the map.

"Adrift" implies that you know exactly where you are, and know where you SHOULD be going, but the engine and steering aren't working so any progress in the right direction is simply a random coincidence, and you're just as likely to wash up on the rocks.

I think every guy on the team could identify the big problems: coming out with no energy, lack of intensity, lack of execution, no focus. Devonte was even quoted in the paper saying that the team can't afford to come out flat like they did with KSU, which tells me that he is aware of the issue...just powerless to fix it.

So I'm going with adrift on this one.

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #3373 by konza63
I like that explanation, NotO. So count me as a passenger on the "Adrift" boat rather than the "Lost" craft. :huh: Not exactly a prime choice, either way.

At the end of the day, though, we still have a nice, shiny record and poll position...it just seems like the most shaky one (underneath) that I can recall for most KU teams.

Self and the team have their work cut out for them. Crossing my fingers they somehow figure it all out!

More
8 years 1 month ago #3374 by Bayhawk
NotO's "Reset button?" poll is the 3rd and most popular (in terms of votes) in the history of the new board,

--RC

-- Jules Michelet

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #3377 by HawkErrant

konza63 wrote: I like that explanation, NotO. So count me as a passenger on the "Adrift" boat rather than the "Lost" craft. :huh: Not exactly a prime choice, either way.

Au contraire, mon ami! At least on board the "Adrift", if the wind does come along and fill your sails you are good to go. Aboard the "Lost", you're still without a clue to where you are going, you're just going there faster! :evil:

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #3378 by NotOstertag
Would you prefer a cabin on the Titanic or the Lusitania, sir? :)

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #3379 by NotOstertag
Au contraire to your au contraire, mon ami! It could be argued that our wins against TCU, Texas and/or K-State were happy coincidences where the wind happened to blow us in the right direction and could have just as easily blown an iceberg our way. With no rudder and engines, full sails can be pretty dangerous. ;)

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #3380 by NotOstertag
Yaaay for me! I don't suppose there's any type of prize involved? In lieu of cash, I'd take a mild dose of perimeter defense as an alternative if it's available, and offer it to the team as a donation.